Replacement of the sniper

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by deadly_venom, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jongscx

jongscx Member

...would you then be able to command the "enemies"?

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

The destroyed enemy CV? Sure :D

Now how was it I cancelled the loading screen....

3. ba'al

ba'al Member

You do know that the pistols, except for the shottie, in this game are insanely accurate?
    It is also the backup weapon, when you lack ammo for mortar, rifle or smg.
    It's also the easiest gun to use, I dont know why you say they suck

They are replacing the sniper, not the class.
    This is too overpowered... Stealing vehicles with people in them? Are you serious? Dead vehicles too?....

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think we should make a vehicle that can steal people. It should look like a big white paddy wagon with a giant vacuum to suck up all the enemy troops. Then it brainwashes them into your side and spits them out the back, permanently team-switched to your side for the rest of the game.

Also, like the Spore religious vehicles, it would have a giant pipe-organ on top for blasting propaganda, and its ultimate weapon would project a thousand-foot tall holographic representation of your deity over enemy base, who would preach down at them until they switch sides.

5. sol1d sn@ke

sol1d sn@ke Member

Creepy.
    :):|

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It requires an detection tool so you don't suck up the wrong people - the EMP RECRUITS!

7. Empty

Empty Member

They just get meatgrindered.

8. Tender Vittles

Tender Vittles Member

The sniper rifle

Instead of removing the sniper rifle altogether, why not make it more difficult to use, in such a way that the farther you are from your target, the harder it is to hit them? You could do this by slowing the bullet down.

I've not really used the sniper rifle much in this game, so I don't know how hits are detected. But in most games, the sniper rifle is a hitscan weapon; instead of firing a projectile, it fires an invisible ray that has no velocity and no mass, but extends instantly to infinity.

This is usually done to cut the processor some slack. If your CPU had to calculate where every bullet on the map passed through, checking for hits along the way, it would get ridiculously complicated. But since a sniper rifle fires slowly, that is not so much a problem.

You could make a bullet from the sniper rifle travel, perhaps, twice as fast as a mortar does. To shoot someone running perpendicular to you at 100 feet would require leading the target by a couple of feet. At 200 feet, you would have to lead your target twice as much, and they would have twice as long to alter their path to get out of the way. This way, the sniper rifle remains powerful, but is much more difficult to use than the traditional hitscan type.

The difficulty to hit increases as the range increases. But unmoving targets remain relatively easy kills.

9. sol1d sn@ke

sol1d sn@ke Member

Oh excuse me then, it'd end up as....

:beaten_nf: → :beaten_imp:

As for making the SR not hitscan, I think the main problem with the sniper is that it isn't very teamwork-viable, not that it's too easy to use. In fact, I find sniping in Emp more difficult, and not as rewarding kills-wise, as most games, which quickly discouraged me from it. I just couldn't handle the scope sway, except when prone.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Making sniper rifles more difficult to use just increases the problem.
    The problem isn't that snipers are overpowered, it's that everyone who uses them might as well be jerking off.

11. Silver Knight

Silver Knight Member

Oh for Gods sake, ive been playing empires since it first came out, i got bored after awhile due to the endless crashes, and i finally join the forums after a rumor about helicopters and what not... to find out they are going to remove one of my favourite weapons, Jesus h Christ what are you playing at.

The sniper is what makes the scout fun and unique, the weapon should stay, if you don't like that, then add it as a unlockable weapon or something, scouts are put in the field to obtain information, they are useless against armour, scouts are only deployed for information, a enemy sniper or to remove a few infantry units from the forest, if the sniper rifle goes, im giving up on empires for good.

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Goodbye.

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

When you put bye you meant riddance right?

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You joined the forums just to say that? Seriously, Empires isn't about sniping people, it's about teamwork.

15. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

Imo scout rifle shouldnt be removed, simply renamed into TAG rifle, keep the wussy damage, but instead you TAG enemy infantry with it so your buddies can see them as diamonds for say 30 seconds.

Ability to see enemy squad leader and skills would encourage the scouts role of scouting...

Lets say you see 3 engies one of them has revive, so you simply TAG him with the TAG rifle as a priority target for your buddies to attack similar if its the squad leader.

The scout could be awarded assist points for any TAGed enemy infantry killed similar to his binoc's

16. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Or make it so the scout rifle is super powerful, but you have to calculate bullet drop with a new ranger perk. Also remove crosshairs and magazine, making it a one shot weapon.

In other news, today I went airsofting and got my friends bolt rifle to test it out. It was rpetty fun, I went like WW1 style

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

NECRO ALERT.

Just let me point out that there were 24 pages (a couple hundred posts) on this topic. I'm almost positive if you looked through it all you'd find a couple of good reasons not to necro this thread.

You revived a scout flame fest and that's it? -_-''

Also, TAG + scout rifle = scout whores who tag+kill to get points.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Also, that's what your binoculars are supposed to be for. For tagging people. It just isn't very well done yet...

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

Oh shit someone finally making sense.

And thank you backseat moderators. :rolleyes: