Hype thread: Watch Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well maybe when spoken in Japanese the phrase isn't too aggressive, but that's probably what he meant, that the person may not realize the effort that goes into making a game balanced. Sakurai probably gets told that a lot though, some random person tells him that they can make a better game or balance the game better, so maybe instead of making a giant speech about why it's not that easy, he just tells them that he's experienced in video game development and that they aren't.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im not into any of the nintendo-wii-handheld and such part of market, but isnt smash one of the very few fighting games to consiatently have character bans due to imbalance? Stuff like tekken or SF doesnt have that to my knowledge, yet ive heard many times that balance in smash games is actually really poor at times.

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think Sakurai's response was perfectly valid. The player in question challenged Sakurai to a match and said that if he won, then they should let him balance the game. This is incredibly rude on multiple levels: First, the player clearly implied that he would easily beat Sakurai; regardless of whether or not that's true, it's all kinds of impolite to say that to a person, especially one of the developers. Second, the player most likely really does not have any actual experience when it comes to balancing a game, and is obviously claiming that, despite that lack of experience, he'd balance the game all sorts of better than Sakurai could. Imagine that you were interviewing a person for a job that they had no practical experience with, only theoretical, and he claims that he do your job better than you could. It's incredibly insulting for someone to say that.

The way it is for me personally when I work on Empires is that I don't mind criticism. Many people have faaaar more experience playing the game than I ever will, and I accept that; many people will also have different views than me, and I accept that. If someone says, "Candles, this is unbalanced and here's why", then I'll go, "Hmmm, you have a point there," or "No, because of these other reasons why," or "Yes, but <something about how the game works goes here>". The problem is if someone were to say to me, "Candles, you're doing this wrong, you should do it this way because I know better than you," then that's nothing short of insulting because the person in question would most likely have absolutely no ideas about the intricacies of the engine or how the game is designed in the code.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Oh, he was right in not taking the shit, but using a logical fallacy seems like not the way to go is what im trying to say.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'm pretty sure the only banned character in smash is Meta Knight, since he's on he's on the highest tier with no one else inside it. Smash is made for things to be unbalanced, it's supposed to be a fun game not a competitive game, competitive people tried to adapt to that fact. Like 80% of the stages in melee and brawl are banned because they don't meet all guidelines of:
    -No walk offs
    -No camping potential
    -no overly-large
    -no random events that can damage players

A stage has to meet ALL of those to be considered for tournament play, and since smash was made for fun and not for tournaments, it's only natural that the game has hurdles of balance to pass. SF or Tekken are games that are always considered on a flat plane, the y axis isn't as important as in smash.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That reminds me, I wonder how that for fun or for glory game mode thing will work. Like I know what it basically means, but I am more wondering what the for glory players will want to play on the most if every stage can be final destination.

Wasn't there characters banned in the older mortal combats? Or was it one of the MarvelvsCapcom titles?Meh, I don't remember. I'm just certain that smash isn't the only game to have that problem. Even then though, who care what tourney players do? I thought you played these games with your friends? Or do you or anyone else you know go, "no, they don't do that in official games and neither will we."?

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

My friends like to play tourney style. No items and only non-banned maps. It makes for a different game. My campus has turbo nerds though who play project M and if there's ever any event going on they post on the facebook event thing with "I hope there's melee or project M". Some people go too far.

8. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

When I was in my early university days I left the door to my dorm room open, my wii averaged 10 hours a day for an entire semester of smash bros. brawl, sometimes melee. I wasn't even there ten hours a day. I just trusted most of the people that went through enough to leave them with it so they could make sure nobody ran off with it.

All no items, non-banned maps (except for the pokemon stage spear pillar, which the most serious tourney player always picked to piss everybody off). I only played project M once though, that got popular after I quit.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

back when you were 13

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I was 14... so take that, I guess.

This is like when somebody makes fun of a kid for being 8 years old in a game and the kid responds indignantly that he's a whole 9 and a half years old.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

13 and in uni is a compliment, really.