Hype thread: Watch Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

Who is ready to take on Chicago in GOTY 2014?

Some info we know so far.

Watch_Dogs hopes to break the trend of games being dumbed down for money

Creative director Jason Morin candidly revealed in an EDGE interview [via Worlds Factory] that...
    “I feel like games are dumbed down because we want to make money, and sometimes we underestimate what players can do.”

The biggest problem is that games feel like forced entertainment experiences jettisoned through a lifeless railway. It's just so cold and distant.

A lot of times the AAA titles spend about half of the entire campaign teaching players how to play and by the time you get to the meat of the game, you're prepping to watch a half hour of credits to roll. In fact, you're likely to spend more time (and get an achievement) for watching the credits than actually spending that time enjoying yourself and enjoying the play-experience.

Morin, however, at least wants to break that trend. He and the hundreds of other developers who have been slaving away at the game for the past couple of years want to introduce players into something that doesn't feel like the typical annual cash-in that we've all come to expect from AAA titles...
    “I hope Watch Dogs can show everyone that it’s possible to do online games without being intimidated by a lobby, that it’s possible to see another player without being scared it’s going to be a 12-year-old shouting a bunch of insults, and that it’s possible to make a game where you can test the systems and push at the edges without feeling like you’re working. I hope it can do all that, and if it could be a game that helps players have a bigger conversation about our relationship with technology, that would be awesome too.”

10 interesting facts about Watch_Dogs

First up, Chicago was chosen by Ubisoft because it's one of North America's most watched cities with thousands of networked cameras throughout.

The developers have done everything they can to ensure that all of the game's hacks are realistic and that players will choose how far they want to go in the game, what they want to hack, and how they want to make money. They added the vigilante aspect of Watch_Dogs is mainly left up to player choice.

One interesting feature is that if you hack someone's phone to listen into their conversation, that chat will then be deleted from the game so you won't hear it again.

There's over 3,000 character kits and Ubisoft says it's unlikely that you'll bump into the same NPC twice and between 400 and 500 lines have been recorded by each citizen.

They also discussed profiling and how certain character traits will be determined by where people lived, all of which will be randomly generated,

Ubisoft says there will be severe consequences if players choose to shoot police officers and while a lot of cops will chase, the best strategy is to flee.

NPCs will react dynamically to in-game events. For example, if there's a car crash they'll stop to take pictures with their phones or if you pull your gun out in a restaurant, they'll hide under the tables.

Watch_Dogs has only two recycled animations with everything else being built from scratch, both recycled animations come from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, and are the swimming motion, and bodies flying through the air respecitvely.

There's no jump button in the game, animation director, Colin Graham, says "a jump button isn't necessary since Aiden will jump and climb it automatically."

Finally, the weather will be varied with large storms and lots of winds affecting the city which will respond dynamically to the weather conditions.

Trailers:

Welcome to Chicago
    Digital Shadow
    Exposed
    Watch Dogs: Featuring Nvidia technology

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Ubisoft is the new EA.
    I have no hope for this.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

And yet even EA makes some good games sometimes. Hype is justified here.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Grand Theft Anonymous.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

GOTY 2014 is FTL Advanced Edition.

6. Z100000M

I've stopped following the game after this whole "muh social stuff" a few months back.
    Also, for a game thats supposed to be fresh adn new, it has no shame in going along with the super old and boring "your powers do not work in new areas, go to local hub and do a tedious side-quest".

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I know right?

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

6 hour game, tops.

9. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I know better than to get hyped for new games these days. :(

10. McGyver

As long as you aren't stupid enough to preorder a game, enjoying a little hype is ok. The harsh reality will come soon enough.

11. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered X: Rebirth...

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

worst sequel ever ...

they should have made AP with better gfx and no stock market.

13. Z100000M

And none of the Plasma burst generator or shockwave generators bullshit. And enemy swarms are prohibited from the phased array as well.

Its like they dont care about balance in their games and never playtest them. X games are some of the most buggy fucking things ive played.

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well I pre-ordered it this weekend, but only because it saved me about 10€.

15. McGyver

Finally a game i couldn't play on my seven year old PC:

16. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

17. McGyver

So it's GTA with hacking?

18. Z100000M

Its gta with dark souls invasion bs.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

But it's landing on PC too, so it has that going for it.

20. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

This game promises too much for an AAA game, it will be a dull sandbox like all the other revolutionary games.

+9999