Empires on Source 2 : Source 2 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2015.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Source is indeed openly available, so is UE4 by now. Yes, you can get your Source mods on Steam, so you can with games made on UE4 as well.
    UE4 and UDK games are not listed on ModDB, because they are not mods.

Yes, Source pretty much has a legacy reach, because it was pretty much the only free option for indie and mod developers until a few months ago.

I said an engine only matters to developers, not to players. And Unreal Engine 4 is more easy to use then Source and more capable, especially for the things you want to do in Empires.

2. Noname

Noname Member

@ Fans of Source 2: Develope Empires 2 Source 2

@ Fans of UE4: Develope Empires 2 UE4

Competition is good for business.

3. 101010

101010 Member

10 years b4 the desperate move to keep up with the rest.

No other Engine has lasted as long as source.
    Also don't forget Unreal's desperate move to keep up with source by changing to free right b4 Source 2 publicly announcing it was going to be free.

"games built on Unreal 3/UDK or Unreal 4 are technically not even mods, so they are not even listed there" So where are they listed ?
    That's kind of the point if people can't find your mod / game then who cares how amazing you make it ?

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

two small hardware shops across the street from each other is not good business. capitalism is a lie. the world is run by 6

5. Noname

Noname Member

Yeah, not for the seller but for the buyer. Stop talking, start the development!

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Its not so great if both of them go out of business

7. Noname

Noname Member

Empires died, because the team is seperated xD ... lol? Hopefully the team will seperated: Into an enthusiastic (new) UE4 team and the rest... waiting for Source 2 and a better future, perhaps. :sleep:

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you are being unfair to all those who invested a shitload of work - to better or worse doesnt really matter, they tried - what did YOU do? signing up on the forums doesnt count ...

9. Noname

Noname Member

What?! I never said that! As I mentioned earlier: I like people who like to DO something and are not talking all the time (like me now, well I hate myself ;) ). Of course, everyone who puts efford in Empires should not feel concerned about my piece of letters...

Why I am talking here: there are too many doubts, too many pessimistic views... denigrate other ideas or projects. I hate that.

Sorry, that I didn't send my vita to you, which allows me to write... and give my words greater importance... or whatever you need to be respected.

10. Deiform

Deiform Member

Take no notice. The forums are always going to be full of whiners because the people doing something are busy coding...

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm kind of torn, and Lamer touched on it as to why. Realistically, I do think EPIC will support their engine better. Ask me a year ago and I'd say Valve all the way, but purely from the way they've treated Dota 2 over the past 12-18 months, I've lost a little faith in them to be honest. Add this to the fact that realistically, they might well take fucking ages to release it properly, then yeah, I think UE4 will end up being better, even though I really, really like Source in general, simply due to the familiarity of it all to me.

However, like Lamer said, engine doesn't even matter that much compared to reach, and any engine which is valve, is Steam. And Steam is where your 95% of your customers are going to be. Where you sell it is more important than the product itself these days. It's a sad state of affairs, but that doesn't make it any less true. And Source in any form will always be more supported on Steam than UE4, especially if Valve are seeing that engine as a competitor.

12. Z100000M

The only real advantage to source is that it gives alot of attention due to steam

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

They said, that you have to sell a game made with Source 2 on Steam. That doesn't guarantee that your game will just simply be on Steam instantly. It might as well be, that you have to go through the same process, you would have to go through with a game made on UE4.
    And if you coming with arguments like the Steam integrated server browser: They provide their Steam API to you for free, no matter which engine. You can easily integrate the whole shebang into Unreal 4 as well.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Greenligjt is supposed to be phased out. And if you make a game and can't sell it for whatever reason 'cause valve says so, I would imagine there is going to be a ruckus.

Does anyone remember when Candles starts his senior year?

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Really? It would be in their best interest to support everyone as well as they can especially when it sounds like using source 2 has the same profit margin to valve as simply using a different engine, but for free releases then yeah I can understand more support for source engine.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It turned more into an argument than ever, lol.

Sure there are advantages to source, but we aren't exactly thriving on steam. Yeah that's down to a lack of development, but much of that development is very difficult to do here and it's a system that's hard to get to grips with. Heck, aircraft has been ruled right out and doesn't get talked about any more because it's just so difficult. Map sizes don't even support it (afaik).

I'm not saying UE4 is better, but even the UDK tools seemed pretty accessible back when we were at it and I'm sure UE4 has more power and usability behind it than that.

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I don't actually believe that. The vibe i'm getting is that Source2 is Valve's inhouse engine as well as a public tech demo for where they want to go with their Graphics and VR work. If you want to actually make a game, I'm pretty sure Valve will let Epic do the work in providing an engine. UE4 already does VR stuff and I'm willing to bet money that they beat Source2 to market with a Vulkan implementation.

Valve, as a company, aren't going to support Source 2 to the public. A few people who really want Source 2 to have a public showing will do things, but they'll get bored and work on the next big game... That's just the way Valve works and it probably will never change.

Like seriously... Valve hasn't released any tools that are compatible with the current Source1 version of Dota 2. We had to write a program that modifies the compiled bsp and fill in different fields. They've already abandoned Workshop Tools (last update was in December, before that they went 4 months without an update).

18. Z100000M

Well steam also has this steam friends integration and all that other bullcrap that helps with seeding.
    That being said, i dont know if couldnt prehaps add free mods on steam or not.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I already said it, but I am saying it again: Steamworks can be implemented in any engine. Valve provides the API for it for free.

20. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

using UE4 doesn't preclude you from using Steam. Steamworks is built into UE4... it's pretty core to how the engine operates.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Online/Steam/index.html