Empires on Source 2 : Source 2 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2015.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

i think its obvious to say source 2 will have a longer life than ue4. but as long as the game made is good it doesnt matter

2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Please enlighten me, but I don't really see how that's obvious.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

ue3 lasted 5 years, and has one big mod that i know of: renegade x
    source lasted 10 years, and led to stuff like garrysmod

e: wait is renegade x not even on ue3?

4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So, the reason people bought Gmod is because it was on the source engine, not because of it's gameplay?

Renegade X is built on the unreal 3 engine.
    http://renegade-x.com/about.php

5. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

It's hard to call that one source engine. The Source Engine we have now (Source 2013) is fundamentally different than the Source engine that launched in 2004 with Half-Life 2. Hell, even the Ep1 engine to Orange box was a huge project to convert because many of the fundamentals were different.

Also, "Mods" in general died around 2010ish when the Independent gaming scene took off. The last bastion of a vibrant modding scene is Minecraft, but that's because Minecraft lends itself so well to mods.

That's not to say UE4 isn't moddable. There is a tool in the current version of UE4 that lets you build a .pak file that the game will load that will replace game files in the main pak. This is intended to be used for DLC, but Epic sees it to be a system that can be used for mods as well.

They are also doing a whole bunch of modding stuff for UT4... since selling hats and skins is going to be their main monetization path.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Granted people play Dota, TF2, CS, but who's playing Empires, eternal silence, dystopia, etc? Most sourcemods have been ghost towns for quite a while.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

LOL, please do rewrite the code! It wasn't supposed to live this long. I'm glad people have a healthy skepticism of Source 2. There are lots of fanboys on Reddit talking about how it'll be better than Unity 5 and UE4 combined. I would not recommend going to it. There's no way Valve will ever support it like Unity and Epic support their engines, absolutely no way. In the past, Valve hired someone to support Source with modders. That person got bored and went on to work on Portal.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

well it seems like its easier to port than other engines? is it just as easy as it would for renegade x to port to ue4?
    i believe people still play zombie panic, insurgency, black mesa, i think fistful of frags?

what i know is that if empires was on ue3, i would have never played it (probably would stuck to insurgency or found some other thing) see the top 100 mods on moddb here to see source's influence

and im aware that valve has horrible support (just judging by hammer and their demo tools alone), but it seems like they have more life

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's got to come down to the flat management structure, right? It all sounds like a wonderland on paper but when it comes to communication (which is pretty damn important with an engine they want the community to use) they just suck ass.

They're secretive in general and that only works if you're releasing amazing games, not something you want the community to use. With all the VR stuff I'm betting the engine is in no way their main priority but more a, "Fuck it, Epic and the Unity guys did it so it's pointless not to."

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Daddy pls no..

12. Noname

Noname Member

Kylegar initiated Empires UE4 development... he and the other guys are not talking or waiting, they are DOING something. I'd like to support doing people more than talking people.

Everyone should support the project and dispel his doubts and vanities.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

im important

e: also note how im not shitting up kylegar's topic

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  14. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I'm going to eat ramen tomorrow.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

im not sleeping todday

16. 101010

101010 Member

How dare you voice your support for staying on source in the Empires on source thread..You should be ashamed

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That doesn't say anything about the engine today. It only tells you, that Source was the most open and available engine out there at the time these teams started developing and how good their ideas for games were.
    Also games built on Unreal 3/UDK or Unreal 4 are technically not even mods, so they are not even listed there.

I kinda get the impression that some people still think the engine makes the game, which is absolutely not true. An engine is just a tool. In about 80% of the time, a player won't even see any differences between different engines. Most notable will of course be graphical fidelity and bugs caused directly by the engine.

So rooting for an engine, just because the games you liked were made on it several years ago is just naive to be frank. We should rather concentrate on the engine we actually know the limitations and capabilities of and not the one, that was just announced in a desperate move to keep up with the rest.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

did i say the engine was great, or did i say the reach/life/influence was great? mmmm yes if only there was a way to see previous posts

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

mmmm yes, if only there was a way to not forget half the post when you are done reading it

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

source is openly available. hey games are on steam and easy to download and play with friends.
    ue4 and udk games are not even listed on moddb

that reach

please keep talking to me about how engine doesnt matter then saying how ue4 is the best engine and very easy to use