Empires on Source 2 : Source 2 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Thread celebrating that Source 2 will be free for everyone.

Development plan: Just stay on Source and port to Source 2 when it's released, rewriting crappy parts of the code if necessary.

Disclaimer: Yeah, this is a tongue-in-cheek thread. I don't mean to ridicule Kylegar's efforts, which I give significant credence for being a (spiritual) Empires successor.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

we dev war now

gas the devs

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

lol valve are such glorious dicks

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

See you in a year and a half when valve finally gets around to releasing it :P

5. 101010

101010 Member

Source 2 vs..Holy shit source 2 is finally here. Don't think there is really any thing that come close to source. I was all for a new engine due to source sucking balls when it came to getting any new modeling programs to work with it. Fuck even valve software stopped being compatible. Just seeing how user friendly the Dota tools are show that source 2 will be focused on making it easier for just about anyone to mod.

I do have a question
    Is this going to be Empires 2 or Empires on source 2 ?
    Basically new page on steam and trying for green light or just porting over and keeping the old store page.

Both ways have it's ups and downs and what ifs.

6. BigTeef

That entirely depends on the current team.
    There are so many dead in the water empire projects that there is a stigma.

I believe a project that candles participates in has a higher chance of succeeding, but he has some strong opinions on source 2 as of right now.
    Given the evidence he supplied to support his opinions, I agree with him but I still think he should play around with it when it comes out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Then it's a race to see who can get spec stacking in first, empire's most important feature. Winner gets the grand title "Empire 2: Electric Boogaloo"

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I can do it with a checkbox

[​IMG]

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

There's no video...sooo....they don't even have that to show off yet? Or was it shown at the GDC?

I looked for footage, but all I got were screenshots. I don't want to see screens, I want to see a tech demo or it really doesn't exist, tbh.

It does sound like a "omg, nooo don't leave us!" moment. Unless Valve were like "hehehe we'll spring source 2 on them before they know it! And...oh ffs EPIC!"

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I kinda' got that same vibe myself.

11. 101010

101010 Member

I'm pretty sure Source 2 is why UE4 is now free.
    From what I've seen Valve will be showing it off later this week.
    I'm assuming Thursday.
    " 10:00am-11:00am: glNext (now named Vulkan): The Future of High Performance Graphics (Presented by Valve)
    Talk description:

A technical preview of the Vulkan API, with advanced techniques and live demos of real-world applications running on Vulkan drivers and hardware.
    Gabe Newell on Vulkan:

Valve and the other Khronos members are working hard to ensure that this high-performance graphics interface is made available as widely as possible and we view it as a critical component of SteamOS and future Valve games. (source)"

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You're halfway there, now you need to make it so everyone wants to stack spec, there's the hard part.

13. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Im not going to play empires anymore if we migrate to UE4,its just too fucking unoptimized resulting in my performance being around 15 fps with only 4 models.

Meanwhile source 2 will have higher quality than source 1 and will possibly run faster. Source 1 i run empires at around 55 fps on high settings.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if thats the case source 2 wont run much better either.

15. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Anyway, serious post

I don't see how Valve intends to beat Unity 5 or UE4. Sure, it can be free but so is Unity and UE. It can run Vulkan, but with UE having a working dx12 implementation already, I'll put money that Epic beats Valve to market with an implementation. Hell, I'll bet that Epic beats AMD/NVidia's drivers to market with their implementation.

I strongly believe that Valve simply cannot beat two companies that are focused 100% on providing game engines. That doesn't mean they aren't pushing the world forward with their contributions to VR and Vulkan, but source 2 is going to be a 'me too!' offering from Valve and not a groundbreaking revolution in 3d graphics like Epic is doing with UE.

As far as Empires is concerned: I worry that the duct-tape wont hold when the entire engine is ripped out from under it. From what I can tell watching people reverse what we have with Dota2 Workshop tools... it'll be a rough transition. It will be the kind of transition that makes you wonder if it's even worth it to do or to keep the project on life support.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Upgrade times are coming.

In around a year.

17. BigTeef

I have to agree with flasche, I think its time for an upgrade.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it would be cool if both empires' would use the same script-base and you could play on the same servers but i totally see how this wont happen due to countless reasons (sadly)

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Just make bad maps

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You make it sound like it would be easy for Freak to port commandergrad to the new game.