Empires on Source 2 : Source 2 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2015.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Its ok guys I have a few bad ideas if you are interested

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tbh, this is just kind of annoying for Empires development. With the UE4 being free, people started being on board with that and ramping up development, but with Source 2 coming soon (or so they say) people will also be advocating staying.

So it'll pull developers focus in two directions, making it harder for each project to go anywhere.

This is so facepalm worthy it's ridiculous.

3. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Don't worry Ikalx. I've been in a 'fuck source' mode since they abandoned SrcSDK for 5 years and are currently on a 2 year abandonment run.

I legitimately doubt Valve will treat Source 2 any differently. They'll spend 6 months updating it and then 'welp we are done' and let the community die.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Let's just all go our separate ways and make our own little versions of Empires. The glory of it is, we would all probably still hate it.

This week has been very strange.

UE4 goes free. This is quickly followed the next day by a Valve announcement about Source 2 and Unity 5 being released with many more features for the free version.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Honestly, unless Source 2 Empires is built from scratch, it will suffer the same problems the first Empires does. There is no point porting it except for extra functionalities, it would be much much much better to simply take the assets and start from the ground up again. No offense to Krenzo and his ~2005 programming style, but that shit can't hold for another ten years.

6. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Anyone for Unity Fivepires?

7. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Good luck getting multiplayer to work

8. 101010

101010 Member

So keep the shitty part ?
    Here's our new kick ass engine port.. It's new..it..it looks the same but it's new..

Empires as is functions great. There isn't really too much that would change with a new engine. (With keeping the old assets)

Source 2 would allow Empires to remain Empires. While at the same time being new. Better physics, better graphics, better ""sound"",better AI, and most importantly more 3rd part support like modeling software.
    Most likely it would be as simple as a recompile into source 2. Then changes could be done over time to improve Empires with the new features of source 2.

That's one of the biggest advantages to source 2. It's not starting from nothing.
    Even the bugs in Empires are part of what Empires is. The shit maps are part of what Empires is..Empires is source and on any other engine it just wouldn't be Empires.
    Source is what keeps us playing Empires. The new shiny games are out there. Yet we still check Empires servers b4 starting up them other games.

Also don't forget that Steam is still #1 for pc games. Besides word of mouth or websites nobody checks how will you attract people to Empires on another engine ?

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No the shitty part is definitely the source code.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd rather remain on Source or go to Source 2. I have a negative bias against Unreal since U3 games always looked so cartoony to me.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That is merely the art style of the artists involved and has nothing to do with the engine. There are quite a lot of games out there on Unreal, which don't have the bulky comic-sci-fi look of UT.
    My bf and me already had a look into that. Going on Steam Greenlight and integrating Steamworks with UE4 wouldn't actually be that hard.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

I know, it's just something inside of me not liking the combo of UE and Empires hailing from my experience with UE games.

That being said, we should do some Moonbase Alpha again soon.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The problem would be getting UE4pires actually through Greenlight, that is the biggest plus Sourcepires has, it can actually reach players.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if its any good and free youll get people playing it. if not, steam wont help you either. it might start up better but after a month or two its gonna be equally dead.
    also you dont start from zero with a sequel - there already is a playerbase

5% of nothing is nothing.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  16. Noname

Noname Member

There are a lot of Source 2 und UE4 fanboys around... With both engines you can create Empires 2. I think, there are no fundamental reasons to keep Source. UE4 does a good job!

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

I posted this to provide news in general, not in relation to Empires specifically ^^

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wouldnt call myself fanboy, but id really like to have the server choice again and atm there is only ue4 available. source will only delay it for yet another year.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe we should just give Kylegar's team the benefit of the doubt for the time being, and presume that Source 2 will need 1-2 years to iron all the bugs out.

I mean, Empires on UE4 will be made with a different vision, but if we all enjoy it, that's fine isn't it? Steam integration, friendslists, vague doubts about UE4...let's be honest, we haven't done that well on Steam - yeah it's still alive, but maybe what Empires really needs is rebirth, and if that's the case, with the influx of new developers and players trying out the unreal engine, now's the perfect time.

I know the problem is we just don't know if Source, or Krenzo's vision, or something else entirely gives Empires that quality that we love, but we're never going to get anywhere if we're afraid to try to replicate it.

And to support those trying to make Empires into the game, with the following, that we know it should have.

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Even if you are just considering the original scope Empires was always supposed to have, UE4 is the clear choice in even making that possible.

We basically don't know anything about the limitations or exact release date of Source 2 yet. All I've seen of it so far are the updates to Hammer in Dota2, which were certainly new for Source, but didn't seem ground braking at all compared to UE4.