Empires on Source 2 : Source 2 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2015.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

But it will preclude you from getting hosted on Steam if you are a free UE4 game without any further connection to Valve's products. Or are there some thoughts to make it commercial?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Valve isn't EA, they're business principles would never be to alienate their competitors, but rather have their competitors depend on them/each other. Not to mention that Valve's business isn't even game engines, it's content distribution (and maybe their own video games), unlike EPIC who's business is licensing their engine out. In that regard, they're hardly competitors and Valve would probably accept any potentially successful title on their store as they get 30% of profits. There are no engine wars, there are only video games and their makers.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Really? Can't go through green light? There's a couple of free games without any thing to make money off of.

Course kylegar and company can sell hats, everyone loves hats.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I don't see why adding some cosmetic for-sale items wouldn't do anything but help increase the development of the project. People become far more dedicated to something when they don't have to worry about working a job to pay for food and rent :P

It's on my mind for the UE4 project. I wouldn't want to do it in any way that would detract from the nature of Empires. Only enhance it.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Has anyone questioned Source 2's ability to run with vehicles? Is it the same shit or better? If its the same.. Dump it for UE4.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Source2 uses PhysX as it's physics engine, so it's the same as UE4. VPhys/Havok has been dead for a long time... Portal 2 was the last game to use it but even then it was because Portal 2 was off the Portal branch. Dota2/CSGO use PhysX now.

While I haven't seen Source2's networking setup, if it's anything like Source1's networking... UE4 will blow it out of the water.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well then the next question for source 2 is, is there proper documentation?

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Kylegar, are there any UE3/4 games currently hooked into the marketplace?

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

If you mean on Steam, the first that comes to mind off the top of my head is Dungeon Defenders 1 and 2.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. complete_

complete_ lamer

i love commercial shovelware

13. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Taking a look at the top games on steam, Borderlands is UE3, but that's UE3. I know Smite is a free to play game on UE3 as well, but it's not on steam as far as i can tell.

UE4 is fairly new, so there aren't many high quality games on it yet. There are a few UE4 games on Greenlight right now (Here is one and here is another)

The BF2:PR guys are making a large scale milsimish shooter on UE4. Here is a recent devblog: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=10
    [YOUTUBE]8liv9wVZu1s[/YOUTUBE]

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

i went looking around on how to map in ue4 and ended up hating it more.
    i looked on youtube for tutorials on making maps and found tons of tutorials on creating bumpy terrain but none on city-ish maps

apparently, in order to make a simple wall you have to be a modeller and learn a completely separate program. did i mention it takes pretty much forever to make that simple wall?
    just wonderful.
    [youtube]b64lKqbbaUM[/youtube]
    a video on how a 20 year old program can do something better than the "best editor out now"

15. flasche

if you can handle hammer you can handle blender

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

thank you for watching a 4 minute video in less than one minute, flasche

i can tell you that no, i cant handle blender. and neither can others. its also tedious and much longer if you do know it (dont you have to compile for every single model? how the fuck do you turn a high poly model into a low poly model?)

not to mention these words i hear but will never understand: baking, uv texture

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I didn't have too much trouble making simple buildings then converting them to static meshes in the ue4 editor. I would just leave buildings you were working on in some corner when your done with it, just so you can make changes if you need to. You can also just use a bunch of static meshes, there's some basic walls and stuff to work with from the start, then convert the group to a blue print, allows you to easily copy them or import to other maps if you want to.

If you want really complicated stuff like a destroyed building or really unique architecture then yeah gotta learn some 3d modeling. Though you can do a fair amount by simply changing bsp brushes.

Then again I never really did much in hammer so I can't really compare them very well.

Small edit: For some reason I thought that vid was like 18 minutes, but after actually watching what he said... yeah he has some decent points. I still haven't had too much trouble with ue4, but I haven't done anything super complicated with it yet.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Guess it's never too late to learn new tools. At least it's not code.

19. Redskull

Redskull Member

I looked at some of the comments in that youtube video and someone mentioned ProBuilder which seems to be plugin for Unity that does exactly what you're looking for. It's not out yet for UE4 but it seems like it's at least being looked at, who knows how long it might take though..

20. flasche

have you read the thread you posted?

your problem is you refuse to adapt your workflow, ofc everything is supercomplicated then.

if you do any sort of geometry not perfectly aligned to the grid in hammer - a cube with a hole turned by 30° - while its not impossible, its a million times more complicated then in ANY external 3d application.
    if you do anything with rounds its a million times more complicated in hammer then it is in blender where you can just extrude along a spline path.

you dont do brushgeometry anymore - at least not for detailed level geometry. you scale and rotate models, stick them into eachother and call it a day.

the problem there is, and its something i say for quite a while now, is that there are hundreds of models to be created - thats the part of all this everyone seems to neglect. and im quite sure this is gonna be an engine independent problem.

but i agree, those mapping tools they showed on this wiki there was - yes they were quite nice. theres stuff like that for unity. its not how its supposed to work though.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015