Falling Titans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Energy consumption gives a metric for the potential strength of an electronic device. Just as a 150w light bulb tends to be brighter than a 75w light bulb, a 500w computer will tend to be strong than a 100w computer. The idea is that the more components in a computer (transistors, resistors, capacitors, inductors), the more power it'll need and the faster it can run.

That's why when AMD's processors draw more power than Intel's processors but still run worse, it's a bit jarring because a processor that draws more power should generally be a better processor.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think spartacus is somewhat right, first couple of years are usually trying to optimize and figure out how to develop for the console's specific architecture. The difference here is that from what I gather the components in the xbox and ps4 are rather similar to pcs. So I honestly don't think there will be a long delay as they try to increase the res and fps.

On the argument that things got lower towards a console's lifespan it would have to do with how they want to push graphics higher on an aging system, so they take hits here and there to make things seem more pretty. At least that's what I think.

I guess to most yeah 30 fps isn't acceptable, but when you come form playing pc games on a old ass computer you tend to get use to things going at 20 fps. Usually I just aim for around the 40 fps mark when adjusting settings, just because I know there will be moments where fps will drop for whatever reason and things won't feel choppy when that happens. Still though, I play stalker with almost everything maxed out for a manageable 30 fps, it's very enjoyable at that rate. Also a lot harder.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I told everyone that this shit was a bad idea, but no its a "cool" feature.

4. Lazybum

It is cool if it is done well, it honestly should work like the smart pistols from dystopia. Those had advantages and disadvantages, mainly you could only really auto lock at one person at a time. Titanfall kinda reminds me of cod though in that every weapon kills in less than 1.5 seconds. So such a weapon might not work, but if the lock on isn't instant it would be fine. Was going to say it was limited by small clip but then it's like it auto aims so ammo isn't an issue really.

Still expect people to say it is an aimbot weapon, people complain, the devs raise the lockon time between targets and everyone says it's sucks except for the few people who know how to use it. In which case it will be perfect because it will be accomplishing it's job. Or it will end up as a weapon loved by baddies and abhorred by people with skill because they can do so much more with anything else. In any case you haven't played the game so you don't know how it actually play out, so give it a chance.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just can't quit you guys. It's a love-hate thing. <3

[​IMG]

I don't mention TDPs to suggest that people care about conserving power. I'm just suggesting that it's really impressive that consoles perform as well as they do considering their heat restrictions. TDP is a measure of heat, not power consumption (thought they are obviously related).

There are a lot of differences, but it's still very easy to make comparisons.

For example, AMD has their new low-level Mantle API out for GCN GPUs. Everyone is saying that they released it because both major consoles use, wait for it, AMD GCN GPUs. Maybe that means PCs might see unusually increased performance in the next few years?

It's not dumb at all.

When you have space restrictions, you have heat (i.e. TDP, the "W" stats) restrictions. Consoles and laptops both to deal with such restrictions.

AMD has a low-power laptop CPU called "Jaguar" that comes in quad core die. Both consoles take two of those die and "ducktape" them together. Based on clock speeds, the 8-core monstrosities probably needs 30-40W of cooling. That's right in line with a normal-power laptop CPU. Desktops get twice as much CPU cooling headroom.

AMD also has a lovely GCN GPU used in the 7000 and 200 series. It has up to 2816 shaders in increments of 64. Both consoles use a GCN-based GPU. The PS4 takes the chip from the HD7870 (1280 shaders) and disables 128 to improve yields. If it ran at desktop-like clocks, it would need 150W of cooling. If it ran at laptop-like clocks (more likely), it would need around 100W of cooling. The Xbone takes a GPU with 768 shaders, just like the desktop 260. The 260 needs 95W of cooling, which is right in line with high end laptop GPUs.

The only part of the consoles that is truly 100% unique is the memory subsystem. They had to be custom because the futuristic solutions didn't yet exist in the desktop/laptop market. But don't worry, Intel's brand new top-end iGPU uses a 128MB SRAM cache + DDR3 RAM system very similar to the 32MB SRAM cache + DDR3 RAM system in the Xbone. And leaks suggest that future AMD Kaveri APUs might utilize higher bandwidth GPU-friendly GDDR5 instead of DDR3, just like the PS4.

So between Mantle on the software side and the nigh off-the-shelf parts on the hardware side, the consoles look a lot like desktops. They just put off less heat, just like laptops.

On that note, did anyone get into the beta?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. BigTeef

Everyone and their mother I know on fb has the titan fall beta except me.
    Fucking hell...
    I made the damn thread and did the research for you guys, the least I could get is the beta.

Although on that note, nobody will shut up on how fun it is.
    Every seems to love it and the beta performs very well compared to the usual bugged mess people usually deal with.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have it. I played the tutorial but I'll probably play the actual game later tonight.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

It's how Call of Duty should have progressed, by introducing more manoeuvrability with wall running, burst jetpacks and a change on the time scale. However, I found the infantry combat to be way more fun than the mechs. FEAR 2 Project Origin's multi player suffers from this as well. Mechs just aren't fun.

9. Trickster

Going to agree with Fooshi. The infantry combat was really enjoyable, but I found the mechs to be the most disappointing part, both in fighting with them and against them. It just wasn't that fun.

10. BigTeef

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Mechs are only fun when they are able to destroy their environment.

12. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Okay, quick confession, I don't understand 'hype' the way you use it.

Is it supposed to be "ironic" or what?

The mech combat genuinely looks mind-numbingly boring to me.

13. ImSpartacus

That's a shame. I was really hoping for this one.

14. BigTeef

[​IMG]

A game with no cover and giant machines with guns running around killing people doesn't make a fun game.
    If the game worked like battlefield the mechs would be over powered as fuck because people dont have any walls to run off of, take cover in buildings or ambush titans.

The point of the titans is that your supposed to be this big slow machine of death, so yes its easy mode.
    The purpose of this is to provide an agressive support to the team to make sure you can stall them long enough to capture objectives.

Even if the mech combat isent your thing, call it down and set it to AI mode and have it act as a big daddy to soak up damage and to guard.
    Its a giant sentry gun that can hover and shoot rockets.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. Lazybum

I have played this game a bit and I really like it a lot. People who don't like the mech action are people who don't know the joy of mech boxing. Seriously, try to flank them and lay the smackdown on them. Bonus points if you have that damage increase at the time. That said I hope there is a perk where you lose a bit of your shield but you gain more of that boost bar. Dodging rockets is fun.

About the smart pistol, it is mostly fine. Grunts die in one real quick hit, but they die to anything in 1 hit. Players take 3 lockons if they have full health, and if they are in front of you that ain't happening. It takes about 5 seconds? to have all three lock on. If they turn a corner or something you instantly lose all locks too. So it sucks as some kinda chasing weapon or in real tight corridors. It can be fired with out lockons, but the damage is kinda crap if it doesn't hit the head. You really are better using your actual pistol if you fight them head on, or try to roundhouse them in the face.

I will point out that anti-titan weapons suck against infantry, so you are always better off using whatever weapon you have.

I will say though, like cod this game is really easy. Also that 12 player thing works real fine for the map size.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I can totally dig the idea of 6v6, hope it picks up as an esport. Except whe n I tried watching it on Twitch, it was jumpy. We need to get the technology for smooth 60 fps streaming before it really kicks off - watching a player's perspective is annoying because of that stutter. Birds-eye view would obviously work though.

17. Lazybum

Want to add some notes. I noticed you run faster with the pistol out. Burn cards are rather neat and I like them. They aren't overpowered at all, just a nice bonus, plus you can only start a match with 3, they also go away when you die. Stim ability plus prosthetic legs is ridiculously fast. I saw someone basically wall climb like in megaman x, but I couldn't replicate it.:( Noticed that when you choose the titan chassis, there is a number representing the dodge bar, so I am excited. Titan smoke discharge is the best thing. Autoload ability on titan plus that energize battery perk on pilot load out stacks, so you can spam missiles to your hearts content. Don't use an explosive weapon when you rodeo, you'll blow yourself up. Getting into a kick fight is like getting into a fist fight in empires, fun.:D

I get what people mean by infantry combat is fun, but if those mechs weren't there I would really miss them. They just add so much. I will definitely pick up this game, but not at that 60$ price point. Made it a vow to never get a game at full price again.

Edit:| still do not understand the appeal of esports. Titanfall does look like it could be one, but that is factoid I really don't care about.

18. Trickster

The maps are of a size where they really need to be like 12v12.

19. Lazybum

Not when there is titans around. After the first one which takes 4 minutes, they come in every 2 minutes, shorter if you get kills. Titans, when you think of how big they are, really do fill in that extra 12 slots I feel. Besides, the low player count gives the game a more tactical feel. Tactical in the way of how you approach the environment, objectives, other players. Like a fighting game, except it is usually a case of whoever gets first strike wins. I guess it isn't very exciting to only see like 10 kills at the end of a territory round, but I personally have fun the entire time.

This may sounds bad but I kinda want the ai people to do a bit more damage, or rather fire at you sooner. On a side note I get a warm feeling when I save some random grunt."Thanks for saving me pilot":|ove:

20. ImSpartacus

So the ai players don't drive titans?

Do you get to customize your titan before battle? If so, does that mean that the same titan drops every time during a match?