[2.25] Rpg

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dubee, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mmm...but the main reason you've given is walls. Most RPG's can shoot over walls, and if it's a low med or something like, you have the mortar for indirect. Not to say that walls don't bother me, but I don't think it's a really good reason for homing.

What would be good is to have the RPG faster with a lot of recoil like Dubee and others have said, but how about something different like switching guiding to secondary fire, and slowing rockets when they're guided but having a much better guide turn?

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you'll have to fix the multi rocket guiding glitch as well.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It's not like it's that much of a problem. By the time you perform it most of the life of your rocket is expired.

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Not just walls. They can duck behind map elements, which you usually can't shoot over. They can outrun your guided RPG, most of the time, certainly quickly enough to get behind cover. Switching to the mortar doesn't help, because it's also fairly slow and very easily dodged.

Tank combat in Empires is all about dodging and maneuvering to keep things lined up for a good shot despite your enemy's attempts to dodge. The grenadier can't chase tanks or line up shots effectively against an enemy attempting to evade. Speeding up the RPG is not going to help, not unless you make it hit instantly or something; at best, you will get exactly one hit before the enemy dashes around a corner (or just dashes past your field of view.)

Tank speeds are a balanced under the assumption that you have to use your engine against the enemy's engine to chase them if you want to kill them. The gren can't chase enemy tanks. Unless they get something serious to make up for that, they're not going to be very good at tank-killing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. communism

communism poof

I have always liked the idea of having lights/AFVS being able to out run. Mediums pick their fights, and having heavys reign death. But its been stated that drag wont lessen the spead of mediums or heavys

6. Kane

Kane Member

The problem with homing is that it is very resource-intensive. If we rewrite the homing code - maybe then we can consider homing gren missiles

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I think modifying things about the missile itself, like speed and turning rate, are worth a try.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

forget homing just do this.

1. Make them shoot much faster so tanks can't dodge so easily and have massive recoil to make them feel more powerful.

2. Make the BE RPG have two shots before reload but do less damage to accommodate the lack of visibility.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The BE then shouldn't have much recoil. 2shots + massive recoil...

IMHO, the rockets should travel fast, but you shoot them slower than you do now. And do much, much more damage.

10. Kane

Kane Member

Like... the Javelin in COD4? Just without homing so far.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Dude no matter how fast they go without guidance they are going to have a really short range.

All a tank has to do is get out of that range and it'll survive because infantry can't chase it.

Therefore RPGs will still be pretty useless.

They need to have the ability to hit things at very long range, it can be slower than at short range and in fact it probably SHOULD be slower than at short range because short range should be much more powerful, but it needs to be there so that a damaged tank can't just run away twenty yards and repair then come back.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

imo homing would be perfect to fix it

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The homing sound is annoying and is a lame part of emp just like over-heating, plus they would have to code it in..

And I have to disagree you chris, I think if your rockets going faster you won't have to turn as much to guide it and it will be harder to avoid if you were in a tank. And the distance your making me think of seems way too far. It would definitely be OP on a map like duststorm. Imagine a turtling team of all grens. I think they would kill your heavy before you got in striking range.

So limit the distance for homing? Still I think my idea is good for at least a quick fix.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

An entire team of dug in grens would probably kill a heavy real quick yeah.

But if that happens just arty them, they have no res income.

Or use a lot of heavies, or APCs with riflemen in them.

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

An entire team of grens working together should be able to kill a heavy. If you're winning the game, you will probably be able to field more than one heavy at once... and you'll crush them as long as you work together. (If you don't, well, they used teamwork and you didn't. You lose.)

If you only have one heavy, and it's sent by one guy with no backup and runs into five anti-tank focused enemies, I don't see why it should win just because it's a heavy. That would seem to be exactly the sort of thing that buffing the RPG is meant to prevent.

16. Kane

Kane Member

I'll add homing to rpg and post the modified scripts or if necessary modified DLLs

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in my opinion, overall it should be like this

situations when grens should win against a lone tank

1 gren taking a light by surprise
    2 grens taking a medium or light mk2 by surprise
    3 grens taking a heavy or an apc by surprise (apc because it has those machine-guns that saw trough infantry)

if the tank is paper then the gren has to be unresearched too, if the tank is researched the gren should have rpg upgrades to compensate it

if above statement is true, then beating tanks with a grenadier team means you will always be outnumbered 1 to 3 on heavy tanks

tanks are troop multipliers, not bulldozers being able to beat anyone they meet because even if they cost resources the benefit over a team that does not have this should cost and not be a superpower

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't see why you'd want to add homing tbh. All the RPG needs is a faster speed and better guidance. You can hit tanks just fine like that, without the lameness of homing. And it is lame, no doubt about it.

The RPG should be more like the one from HL2 in use. I know how that sounds...but that's exactly what it needs. Aside from damage...although someone should look into that "RPG's do 10% damage to hull" suggestion too.

19. Kane

Kane Member

mkay. i'll also make guidance respond faster

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Guidance might work if you make it really easy to use but if you do that you might as well just make it homing, that's the point.

It doesn't need to be as noisy as the exisitng homing but it should work similar, you lock on and fire and then it hits the target and you can move out of the way rather than standing like a ninny in plain shot of machineguns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.