[2.25] Rpg

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dubee, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

This obviously needs changes..

Here are my current ideas.

Make them really really fast. Faster than any tank at full speed and make them have massive recoil so they feel more powerful. Like I'm talking un-deployed MG42 + Push Back kind of recoil.

Get rid of the guided part and make it so the upgraded RPG research makes them home in on tanks or have some other easier way to guide or at least scare off tanks thinking they are getting into a turret farm. Also keep the current damage rates. They are fine don't raise or lower them because they may seem like they don't hurt a heavy but if you get enough grens it adds up.

And finally... Cooler Explosion.. I think Ark can help with that.

This is just my most recent suggestion I have many more.. Please dev's come in and discuss with us whats feasible and what you like or dislike.

2. Omneh

Omneh Member

It would be nice if RPG's did considerable heat to the target vehicle, so grenadiers can at least disable a tank then take to risk to run up to it and mine it or something similar.

3. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

nooooooo ! please dont trade guiding for locking on, that is just incredibly lame!

sorry grapes, i agree with everything but that part.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Guiding can make it slow, without any guiding or lock, we can have it majorly fast instead.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

We want to make them dodgable though..

1.5x DMG.
    2xGuided Capability.
    2.5xAmmo

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As I said in a thread a while ago.

I'd like them fast, however as mentioned they can't be made good anti infantry weapons.

So, introduce flight wobble, they don't fly straight, they wobble around a lot so you can't snipe infantry with them, you can even make them do no damage to infantry if you want so that people shouldn't want to use them and can't use them even if they try.

Once you have this, introduce ironsights. By default the RPG is pointed downward (so the screen isn't blocked by the huge plate for BE) and when you ironsight it, it comes up (and for NF you look through the little red sight).

When ironsighted you move slower but the homing system kicks in, you can lock targets the same way you do with homing MLs except it works faster over long range, you can also shoot dumbfire but this has a shorter range because of the wobble, but you can fire without waiting for a lock. Hitting fire when out of IS mode will fire it like this as well, quickly bringing it up and firing dumb then putting it down again. Ironsights also have zoom controlled by the scroll wheel.

Once you lock a target you can fire and reload many times and keep hitting it. Homing is easier to use for noobs but the fact you can only use it when stationary (or moving real slow) means it is limited, so there is still room for skill involved.

If you want you can also add in things like pressing E to switch between homing and guided mode, homing is better for long range because you can duck back as soon as you fire, but guided can be used when homing might not be suitable. You could also have a little reticle in the corner which shows the view from a camera attached to the missile when it's in flight, so you can tell if you hit. Also worth considering is the ability to select flight paths, you can have it fly straight or fly up in an arc like a javelin to hit targets partially behind cover at the expense of being slower, just general utility functions to make the weapon more effective in more situations.

Combine this with a much more pyrotechnic effect set and boosted damage and it'll be a much cooler weapon.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Heat sucks, I'll kill a kitten if you its implemented to make a considerable amount of heat.

8. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Huh. I find myself agreeing with Chris.

The wobble sounds a bit iffy, but I haven't seen an implementation of it so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

Having both guided and homing mode is a must. Adding homing mode could be moved into part of the RPG upgrade, but frankly I'd prefer it as a basic package.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

[​IMG]

+wobble

10. Cad

Cad Member

how about making them a tad faster and upping the damage 15%,
    or only upping the damage 15% and using the research/scripts on drags testing server?

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No, damage is fine.. Heat sucks..

I like some of chris' ideas. You are correct about them not being anti inf.. But I think you kind of want them to be like the RPG's in DOD:s which I like. But I would only want to see the homing missles come after the research..

And sry deadpool but the guided feature sucks.. I have to turn 180 degrees to make it turn enough to hit a tank, so I don't even get to see my kills or if it hits.. THE ONLY TIME GUIDED MISSILES WORK WELL is when you have tanks coming down the big bridge on Mvalley... And when they up the speed of the RPG I can imagine them being even harder to guide.

I just think a drastic speed increase(no change to damage, maybe nerf agianst inf) and super recoil to make them feel powerful. I don't want to see tanks back up 2 feet to dodge a fucking rocket. I don't want to be a sitting duck for rifleman and chain guns trying to guide one only to take off a plate of armor on a heavy.

12. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I do not want any homing capabilities for the RPG. A bit better guiding and speed would help a lot. Maybe even a little damage.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I think if they are fast enough you won't need to guide them. I'm talking faster than 3phase LT's and major recoil.. It would just feel so bad ass.. Right now the rpg feels like your shooting feathers.

I don't really want homing either but it seems like the only way to hit tanks with out putting your self in open sight to be gunned down.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well the homing idea is only really for really long range.

Infantry aren't mobile so they can't have a very restricted engagement range.

15. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Rpgs are balanced for the first half..I think the only part we need help on is the second half. Too good rpg's in the beginning will completely rape tanks.

16. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Thus either the scale RPGs to chassis concept (was in another thread somewhere), or research to give it more abilities (speed, homing, turning radius, etc.).

17. communism

communism poof

Do not change rpg to homing, it takes all skill away from it.
    The wobble effect is horrible, I don't know the last time you played gren but if you move your missle a bit right then left the wobble is insane...almost impossible to hit with.

I agree with more damage (needs to be scaled, like in the new scripts)
    More ammo is always good
    Increase guided capability with each research
    teir 0 is the same
    teir 1 has more damage and better guiding
    teir 2 has even more damage and even better guiding

Also give us a heads up to know what teir we have researched (thinking you have a teir 0 rpg and trying to guide it that way, but then realizing its teir 1 therefor missing)

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I want the RPG to look and feel powerful.. I think damage rates are fine specially since you will be getting more at start..

Take my idea of making them really fast and have huge recoil, and you got a FUCKING RPG not a rpg.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

You want to hear a sound similar to HECN, with the model flying off your screen as it gets thrown back, then bounds down to reload. Yeah yeah, would be awesome. I agree, they feel like squirt guns.

In any case, general consensus is that we need:

Damage
    Guided
    speed.

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Homing is important because, as things stand, there is really no way to use the RPG at very long range when the tank has any sort of cover at all.

Tank combat is based around chasing the enemy around, lining up shots so you can keep hitting them. Infantry can't really participate in this. If the enemy tank has any walls near them at all, they can just duck behind them and repair (or, for that matter, just duck behind them and ignore you, or dash past you to more cover, or whatever.)

The RPG won't hit in time to keep the enemy from ducking behind cover at anything beyond short range. And that's a serious problem.

A homing option (as long as it's just an option, which you have to turn on or off) wouldn't remove skill. It would increase the skill ceiling for the class, since players would have to choose between guided or homing, and select the best for the situation. Smart players who plan ahead could arrange ambushes where they can get long-range locks on the enemy before they can escape. They could also switch to guided to exploit weak points in enemy armor or whatever.

Aiming is not a very interesting or important skill. Giving the class more choices has a much bigger impact on skill than making everything based on how steady they can hold a little targeting icon. Skill should be based around using versatile weapons effectively and cleverly, not based around mindlessly acting like an aimbot made out of meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.