[2.25] Rpg

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dubee, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

What if homing engaged automaticly at 100 ft distance(maybe even slows down a bit). It chooses its own target and pursues it.

Or it locks onto the first target within 30 ft of it. So like a bowling ball it travels straight then makes a quik turn at the end for the kill.

2. Kane

Kane Member

no, don't think this would be good.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yup, plus once you start relying on homing you also gotta remember homing may be easier but its also dumber.

I just mainly want them to feel and look more powerful. Which would be more recoil and speed. They really seem like hes shooting air rockets atm.

4. communism

communism poof

I strongly disagree with giving homing to grens, making guiding better and the missile faster would fix the problem tbh

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But guided is boring and silly.

It just means you have to stand there looking at the target until the misisle hits, you're not doing anything, just looking, and it's been done in HL2 and dozens of other games.

A fast lockon system which you can fire and then move somewhere else would be more entertaining, especially if it had a nice GUI and sound set, and it would feel more powerful as well because how are you going to give it massive recoil if the screen doesn't move at all? If the screen does move how are you going to guide it?

The game needs more novel weapons, few games have homing missiles as infantry weapons, and empires has a notable dearth of interesting weapons.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I have fun guiding missles.. The main problem with them is that they are so slow that you have to stand there in the open for too long and also because they are so slow you have to turn so far to guide it that you lose sight of the missle before it hits..

Obviously upped speed will fix both of those with out having to code in some new shit.

edit: I'd say lets just try the upped speed and if it sucks have kane code in the guided.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  7. OuNin

OuNin Member

DoD:S is probably the most fun implementation of RPGs I've seen, but it would be nice if players can choose between the fast, hard-hitting 100% dumbfire RPG and a quicker-to-deploy, faster guided RPG like in HL2 (but not as explosive).

8. Kane

Kane Member

e.g.

Code:
    Standard RPG -> little bit powerful than now
    Upgraded RPG ->  much more powerful than now
    Homing RPG -> standard with homing
    homing upgraded RPG -> homing with upgraded

I need a freaking TODO list.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

wait nah, no damage increases and forget homing until we've tried a much faster RPG. Code more important things first.

10. communism

communism poof

Your right, taking all skill out of a weapon sounds much more enjoyable

Also kane, if a commander researches homing could you turn it into an alt fire kind of thing?

11. Kane

Kane Member

yes
    <filler>

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

FYI, I already pushed turning speed, velocity, explosion radius etc to the scripts already for RPG and mortar, but it's not committed yet.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Cool...I'll look forward to it. Still need to set up the new SVN haha :rolleyes:

This is how I honestly feel. I don't mind homing at all for the noise, or what it could do for the gren, but I really think it will just turn the RPG into a one-shot option. I don't really want to explain it, but I think it's a quick road to making every RPG Rocket hit, and tanks going down way too fast. Which would lead to tank buffing, which in turn would lead to singular grens being useless. It's just how I see things though, so that may be an inaccurate scenario.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There's no 'skill' in staring at the target until the missile hits...

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

There is plenty of skill if the target is far enough, moving around, and your turning radius sucks so you have to lead them.

I agree that a homing system, while it may make life easier, would have its own drawbacks. For one, the enemy tank knows its coming due to the lock-on. Second, it takes a decent amount of time to even lock on. Third, homing is stupid and so using a bit of cover you can confuse it. You can perhaps make the homing version a little slower or weaker to help offset the skill involved in manual sniping.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ah well if the turning radius sucks then that means the RPG sucks and if the RPG is supposed to suck then the thread is pointless.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You usually dont stand still while guiding the rpg rocket,
    you jump dodge and run around and at the same time you
    predict where you have to guide it so it will hit the enemy tank.

18. communism

communism poof

Thats called aiming

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's a tank.

It's large and noisy, it's not difficult to aim at.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Jumping dodging and running don't work against anything in empires except at point blank range, and if the RPG is so hard to hit anything with then it's a useless weapon, the idea is to make it less useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.