Where we discuss when it's time to move out from your parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Z100000M, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Trickster, that's so... dull. I hope it isn't just steamed or raw veg and baked chicken, there's a lot you can do.

Like for instance, take a head a of cabbage. Cut in half, remove that hard ass core. Lay it flat and cut thin, like the size of the wire to your mouse. Take your cabbage noodles and blanch them, which means toss them in salted boiling water for like 1-2 minutes, just til they have a slight bit of crunch to them. Take them out of pot and toss in some cold water to stop the cooking, if you have ice toss that in there too it will work better. Drain that shit off and put in bowl. Congrats you got some carb free pasta, assuming that's why I don't see grains on that diet. Admittedly it's not so good with tomato sauce, but it's nice with a light dressing or simply soy sauce.

Take that chicken and marinate it in whatever, I like using lemon and limes and some cilantro with maybe cumin or garlic or some cayenne pepper if I want it spicy. Have fun with it, it's hard to go wrong. Just don't forget to add some salt, it helps a lot. After a few hours or a day take it out of the marinade and give it a quick pat dry with paper towels. Heat up the skillet with a small amount of oil, you don't need much. Then fry both sides so it's brown and tasty. If it's some super thick breasts or you are using something with the bone in like drum sticks you might want to cook the outside on a high heat to quickly brown it then toss in the oven to finish them off, they would be nearly black if you tried to cook them all the way on the stove top. Which reminds me, if you do have thick breasts you can butterfly them, basically cut them half horizontally so you end up with 2 thinner slices.

The stuff I mentioned ain't that expensive, especially if you bother to grow your own herbs. Just cut off what you need and it will simply grow some more, easy.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

impossible to buy in toronto (saved you a bunch of research)
    vancouver=100x worse. wait til the canadian housing market crashes and everyone loses their places

e: jephir beat me too it, booo

eating cheap isnt hard. you just need to look at what foods are heavily subsidized in your country... (also lol at trying to be healthy and using fucking soy sauce)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I love baked chicken.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think I may have already posted this

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I got 10 out of 16

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7Uc2GrnhE
    Basically true.

I am physically unable to live on chicken breast for more than 2 weeks. I know how steak tastes. You will now go out and buy a fillet steak & some asparagus - you will cook both with butter, not canola oil.

Thank me later.

Everyone knows the shredded dude and we all know he hates his life of "prepped" chicken breast, whole wheat pasta and protein shakes.

7. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I can say as someone who has run competitively for years, this is the way to go. I never get tired of baked chicken, rice, and peas. It is probably the best thing ever conceived of by mankind. I don't use soy sauce though, just salt. Lots of salt. No other seasoning required if you're working yourself hard enough.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im not even going to try to pull out a candles, but i seriously pity you both for eating the same stuff over and over.

9. Redskull

Redskull Member

I thought dropping weight was all about calories, why only eat chicken?

10. Lazybum

Chicken breasts is one of the leanest meats available. Helps that's it tends to be cheaper then other meat too. So it's nice if you want to workout and gain muscle too.

11. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

It is.

Chicken breast is relatively low calories in terms of all the meats with high protein, 0 carbs and very low fat. Compared to say, beef mince, which has similar high amounts of protein but generally higher in calories and fats (unless you buy the leanest beef mince available, but higher fat is NOT a bad thing, contrary to popular belief). Therefore, chicken breast is a great meat to consume while bulking or cutting, especially cutting since you need to keep protein intake high to retain as much muscle/lean mass as possible. Pair this with rice, which makes up for the lack of carbs from the chicken but itself is relatively good for calories, with 0 zero fat and a minor amount of protein. The veg is just for micro nutrients.

That being said, I tried brown rice with chicken and broccoli at uni several times throughout the year forgetting how much I didn't like it and I've come to discover that I fucking despise brown rice for life. No matter how much soy sauce I put on or try to flavour it otherwise. How people can eat this 7 days a week I have no idea, let alone 5 weeks.

Agreed. Although in comparison to other cuts of chicken, breast is actually a bit more expensive in the UK compared to fattier cuts such as thighs or legs, in terms of supermarket prices anyway. You can pick up a kilo of chicken breast for £5.99 in most places, compared to say £3/4 for a kilo of thighs and drumsticks mixed. Tends to make a difference when your on a budget.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  12. Lazybum

Sure, but most of the time chicken breasts when I buy them don't have skin or bone, which is weight you don't get anything out of. It's something to consider when it comes to buying meat, the fattier meats like say duck or stuff with a lot of bone in it like a whole chicken seem cheaper but it doesn't exactly translate to money saved or rather not a ton of money saved.

I agree on eating fattier stuff isn't bad at all, it isn't like your body uses protein just for muscle gain/repair it will use it for energy too, and I remember something along the lines it will burn less of the protein for energy if you have some fat in the diet too, not to mention your body absorbs nutrients better with some fat from what I remember.. It's just certain things I won't eat and I'm sure others wouldn't like those giant lumps of fat on the end of some steaks or that ring of fat on a pork chop, not exactly the tastiest thing.

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Protein-->energy is a backup system for when you really cannot find anything else.
    Brain needs its carbs. If you go without carbs for extended periods of time your brain will go haywire.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

So what do I have to eat to get ripped and be smart?

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't tend to eat rice that often as I think it's generally too many calories, but sometimes I'll mix in a sort of ready-made curry pouch thing and I tend to use long grain brown rice for that. I use Birds-Eye frozen veg most nights and just drop some soy sauce on it.

As far as preparing the chicken goes, I generally put it in a bag with some olive oil and seasoning while the oven heats up. I bake it though but it tends to be pretty juicy after that.

I don't like eat super super healthily, but I do try to keep calories around the 2000 mark. I tend to eat a slightly unhealthy lunch (cheese + crackers) and a lot of the time I still have a slice of toast maybe 3-4 hours before I go to bed. It's really just tracking calories and keeping an eye on my protein count to be honest. I used to have pasta with my chicken and cut it up and put a sauce in but I've tried my best to cut that out.

16. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

soy sauce has an enormous amount of salt and rice especially brown rice has arsenic in it. It's best to limit intake of both. Hate to put a damper on you're diet, just thought I would mention it.

17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

You are better off with a sweet potato with your chicken its loaded with good stuff

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Potato literally a billion starchy carbs.

But like I said, I tend to use rice with shitty ready made meal pouches that I use when I forget to defrost a chicken breast the night before, so it's like a once a week thing at most anyway because there's just a surprising amount of calories in rice and that's the meal of the day I really pull my calorie count down for.

19. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

Since I only eat rice in stir fry, I don't really have much of an opinion of it as I don't like curry, apart from that I don't use it to cook with anything else. Wish I had some inspiration. Either way, it's carbs in a meal that's easy to measure e.g 75g serving's filling enough, no fuss info off the back of the packet's enough, easy macro's sort of thing.

I don't eat "super healthy" either, I don't see the point, especially with IIFYM.

Currently 2 weeks into a cut with another 10-12 to go, also just keeping an eye on calories and protein. In about 6 weeks I can actually manage everything better, but for now, just making do.

20. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber besides rich is vitamins, I cup only has 114 calories, its the butter people put on that makes it fattening. 1 cup of rice has 204 calories. Long Grain Brown Rice has 216 calories for 1 cup
    rice is all starch.