Where we discuss when it's time to move out from your parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Z100000M, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ikalx is living the absurdist life.

2. Metruption

Metruption Member

Everybody knows the only real control is resisting the urges to become a serial killer because becoming a serial killer is all about control, so if you can control a serial killer why become one?

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeaah, I know. It's writing though, so it's more of a progress thing. It's just whether I get distracted by all the things I shouldn't, or not.

Which I do, all the time. :p

Finally livin' the dream! :D

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

What kind of writing?
    Has Bigteef finally jumped the stairs?
    Will zioom and lamer finally kiss?
    We're about to find out in the next episode of The Absurdist.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

you have me mixed up

sorry that your bad attempt at an own sucks more now
    ever since ive read sophies choice ive had a thing for poles

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The only pole lamer could score in his mouth is a washing one.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Huh, you should totally try it then, you would fit perfectly.

8. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I just finished college and got a full-time job downtown Toronto, so will be getting a place there in a month or so. Probably gonna rent a condo which will be expensive as fuck but doable. Currently developing the ultimate cheap man's diet plan so I have money left over for nice clothes, drugs and savings. Still need to do a bunch of research, and figure out if I want to buy or rent (buying seems like a shit idea tbh). Will post updates in the coming weeks. Best of luck to me!

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know,I look at the rent for some places and it's nearly the cost of a mortgage. Which always makes me wonder why you wouldn't buy if you are able to, some of the money you put towards the the mortgage can be gotten back when you go to sell, unlike an apartment which you can't make a return on it. Unless you are only staying in the area for like 6 months or something.

Anyway learn to cook rice and beans, it's cheap and filling. Don't skip on the veg either, get whatever is on sale. A giant bag of carrots is like a dollar a pound here and keeps for like a month. I know I tend to feel better with a lot of veg which helps me get more done, eating nothing but grains makes me feel tired as shit and I hear most people tend to feel the same. Point is you don't have to eat poorly if you are shopping on the cheap.

10. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

That only works if the property you're buying is undervalued. There is currently a housing bubble in Toronto.

11. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Yes, if you look at it on the surface, it seems more logical to buy than rent. However, after looking into it a bit, it seems like a bad idea. I am moving out for the first time and do not want to commit to a single place for 5+ years. Kids who go for buying condos normally have their parents to give them a couple dozen grand as a down payment. I do not have this option and have less than 10 grand to put in for a down payment. Plus there are ton of other costs along with the mortgage like condo fees, property taxes. Plus any repairs will be covered by the owner and will not come out of my pocket if I rent.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I guess so, but to me if you know you aren't going anywhere then it still seems worth it. Mind you this is if you can find a place that will have mortgage payments only a little bit more or even the same as a apartment, if you can find an apartment that's much less then any place to buy then it would make sense to save the cash while you wait til prices drop and put a better down payment on a home to own.

I didn't realize condo fees were a thing. Or at least I wouldn't think you would pay for a property tax and a condo fee at the same time, that seems a bit daft to me. I would have thought that the condo fee would go towards that because while you own the apartment you don't own the building, the property it's on.

I wouldn't have thought about repair fees either, but that's just because I'm used to fixing things up myself so I would have been paying for repairs myself even if it was an apartment.

It is amusing to see how different the price of everything is, tiny condos can cost as much as a decent size house. If you do have a can do attitude there is certainly something to be said about buying one that needs a good fixing up, which is what I plan on doing when I can afford a house. Though you should know what to watch out for, some things can't be fixed up on the cheap or require a complete teardown and rebuild which is something I don't think many here really want to do, nor will you save any money by doing it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

One does not learn how to cook rice, one simply gets a dedicated rice cooker!

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

lol if you cant cook rice you gotta be really dense.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Even I know how to cook rice.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Oh no you're doing that too? I told moojuice he'd kill himself after two weeks

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Try dumpster diving.

18. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I am collaborating with him on it. I do not plan to go super overboard on it like he is.

I stopped shopping at walmart though.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

1 Chicken breast and vegetables.
    Every night.
    For 5 weeks now.

Not even a cost thing, just trying to get myself back in shape. Use Soy sauce on everything, especially rice, shit is fucking awesome.

20. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

So you are consuming well under 1000 calories a day? Starving yourself doesn't seem like a good way to get in shape.