Where we discuss when it's time to move out from your parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Z100000M, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Did you get exiled or something

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If I am going to be honest, I could not tolerate my parents constant weekend drinking.

So I moved into the attic so I cant see or hear them, to avoid the stress of constant yelling and loud music.

There is a stove coming in a few weeks, and its being put on the 2nd floor.
    With a microwave, I plan to do all my cooking on the 2nd floor because I don't want any more electrical stuff up here.

My grammy is moving in sometime shortly next year because she can't manage the apartment building anymore so she is retiring.
    She plans to move onto the 2nd floor, she is fixing up the whole 2nd area for herself.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt that damn hot in summer?

4. BigTeef

Yes it is, and it will be freezing in the winter.
    I have a fan and air conditioner for the summer.

I don't know what its like for the winter but im not that worried about it because I like cold environments. Helps me sleep and keeps my computer cool.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

you are 23. you can move out, or at least save money to move out

6. flasche

my (half)brother is 23 aswell and hes like "why should i move out? my mum cooks, washes my cloths and cleans my room ..."
    i had my first flat with 17 (fully funded by parents though)

i guess the main difference is that i had to go through my parents divorce at 7. i also had way more conflicts with them during puberty.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont care if you live with your parents. its just that it seems like he cant stand living with them so much that he is living in a dank ass attic

8. flasche

i lived in worse places. growing independent is a process and everyone has its own pace.

9. BigTeef

You know I live in America right?

Where college kids have to go to school until their late 20's to get a job that actually pays over 10$.
    Especially those who were not gifted with money, or the education, or talents and skills.

I'm fucking retarded, I need to study and work hard at everything to be simply competent, nothing comes naturally to me like everyone else.
    I gotta practice, and practice, and practice. If I would envy anyone here, or be somebody; it would be Senor.
    I would gladly trade my social skills and forward attitude to be a genius that can fucking build robots.
    Robots are hype shit, and I could peruse my dream of going to into prosthetic engineering.

I did the math, I need a salary of 15$ an hour to get an apartment and be self sustaining. And thats even cutting it close.
    Assuming my college bills don't make me go hungry. For this state.
    Then I need to provide a credit score, and I know for a fact my score is abysmal so finding a place will be a goddamn nightmare.

I want to move to Indianapolis, the cost of living is about half of what Illinois is.
    My dad had was living in a 2 story unit house, only had to pay 655 a month for rent for two people.
    Had a backyard for peanut(dog) and a small garden.

You know drinking for 2 days straight every weekend, for 20 years is bad for your health right?

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well to be fair hard manual labor can pay more then 10$ and you can hit it before you're 20, it doesn't really require skills or talents or an education, just the willingness to work really hard. The downside is the tremendous stress on your body and not really wanting to do much after work.

Edit:That rent statement is slightly misleading space, there's more to consider then just the cost of a place. Things like utilities,food, and even transportation have to be taken into account. You can find places where rent is real cheap, but that doesn't matter much if your work place is miles away so any savings you did have would go to transportation, not to mention the simple time waste. It isn't super easy to find a decent paying job right where you want to rent either, from my perspective it's easier to get a good job then find a place reasonably close and cheap enough to accommodate your needs.

Most people end up with a credit score from paying student loans, I'm assuming teef is the same.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Bit heavy on the ragging on Teef tbh. If you want to raeg a bit there are better targets - I'm 32, live at home and don't do a damn thing ;)

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

<Insert british welfare joke here>

13. BigTeef

Im used to oddity not knowing whats hes talking about so its fine.
    I am also used to him telling me to kill myself as well even though its breaking the insult rule I keep getting infracted for.

I actually worked in a warehouse for NFI, creating and picking orders and shipping them.
    I got injured on my 2nd month in, and they basically fired me after I recovered because I wasn't fast enough.
    My leg was sprained and it was hard to walk, and my co-worker snitched on me for getting injured when I could of managed with a limp.
    They were paying me 10.50, I was willing to fork over some cash to get a forklift license those are cool.

Got it from connections from my step-dad, hes been working with them for 15 years now as a forklift operator.
    I was going to apply for a McJob, but when I was going to I had a orientation I had to sit through.
    They were talking about externships, and how we have to make time for them.

I wanted to work on the weekends, Fri-sat-sun. But they said we don't create our schdules our sites do and we don't have any control of on and off days. I could get a 9 to 5 on odd days of the week for all I know. I wanted to do the dead shift from 9pm to 5am because im more productive at night for when I do start ex-ternship.

I think im graduating in spring of next year assuming all goes well.

Yeah thats exactly what im dealing with.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  14. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Do you complain about it and then use 'wah, work is hard' as an excuse to not do anything?

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to live for free at your parents while studying, you should take it. Getting work that allows you to pay for the rent isn't the problem, getting work that allows you to study AND paying for the rent, that is pretty hard.

Also Teef, stop drowning yourself in self-pity, getting a degree is hard work for most. There are always people that have it better, but also a lot of people that are far worse of, especially in the US.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hmm...no, but then is it really worse that Teef is in full-time education, has a fairly crappy homelife, and whines a bit when people press him for answers?

I know this is like the reverse treatment for people whining about their problems, e.g. "you're full of crap, I have one leg and no arms and I still drive a truck for 18 hours a day, every day of the week", but if you really wanted to rag on him, it would be easier to agree with him that his life is shite...

Oh, I get it now, you're actually trying to help. My bad, carry on.

17. Deiform

Deiform Member

How does health insurance work in America? Are you insured by living in the same house as your parents? Or do you have to get your own?

Also Ikalx why are you still at home?

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Got a job, moved out at 16. I had no savings or assistance other than a few hundred quid for a deposit.

Looking back, shit was easy - at the time I thought the whole world was against me.

Best advice I could offer any young person looking to move out on their own for the first time is stop being risk adverse, be solution oriented and just do things and figure it out afterward. Learn to cook.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm gonna go with...I'm an idiot who hasn't got his life together for no particular reason :p

20. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

If you get too cold in winter get a portable heater, they work great and are inexpensive