UK rage against "young people" ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Feb 13, 2008.

1. REX

REX Member

Ok I have been looking at Skynews a lot today, and I just can not get this out of my head.

They seemed to be talking about several incidents where "young people" had killed seemingly random. Some preacher and a guy talking to a group near his car or something.

Any how the attitude seemed to be that young people SUCK. Talking about loitering, neighborhoodwatch and so on for a long time.

Then suddenly they show a fancy speaker called the mosquito. Designed to drive away people under 25 as they are the only ones able to hear the very high end frequencies. It sounded like they were already in use at some shops.

..... im not sure what to make of this, but discrimination based on age just seems very wrong to me. If anything that would just piss me off.

Dont really know where im going with this. Maybe some one from the UK have been following this debate or what ever is going on:confused:. Are there really that many punks on the streets over there?

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Yeah, apparently when you hit 30, you totally forget that at one point in your life, you were one of those "pesky miscreants".

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The mosquito originated as a cellphone ring tune, so teachers, professors and such wouldnt hear it, but you could...

Now this applications is just... I dont know, can't you sue someone for this? :p

4. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Get back at 'em with air horns.

5. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Look, if some store doesn't want you buying their stuff...

Don't buy it!

If you go in there and they've got that shit going, just walk up to the proprietor and say "Turn that fucking thing off or I'm not going to buy anything here."

Better yet, get all your friends to do it at the same time.

See how long the proprietor keeps it on.

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Ageism is certainly illegal here in the United States, and I would suspect that the UK would have some sort of similar legislation. I've heard about the mosquito devices before, and it's usually in situations like this.

7. REX

REX Member

Im not from the UK so its not really a problem for me. It just seems wierd and wrong. I just wanted to hear from someone from the UK if there are really that many punks ?.

It sounds like the streets are covered with them like the old final fight series with Mayor Mike Hagger being the only solution :rolleyes: .

In their demonstration it seemed like they were place outside the shops. It seemed like they just didnt want young people to hang around loitering. A concept that doesnt exist here. There is no such thing as a no loitering zone and you will not be asked to leave public areas. The concept that it is a bad thing to stand somewhere seems bizzare to me.

Im not a complete nutcase so I would ofcourse not kill the shop owners. But I would likely damage their property in anger.

Now the people they seem to fear sounds like complety insane teenagers who might kill people who just even approach them. That mosquito thing seems to me like it can only backfire.

Oh yeah going near such a thing I think will be unbearable. I once tested a tonegenerator in an experiment and that tiny output was enough to drive me crazy. A high output speaker in that range I imagene would make me unable to hear anything at all + actual pain.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

The funny thing is, I had a pretty bad ear infection as a kid, so I can't hear those things.

9. davee magee

davee magee Member

i can. Its actualy almost painful.
    Its funny because there supposed too be a preventative measure against loituring teenagers, and only turned on when they threaten the safty of the customers, but alot of shops have them on 24 hours a day.
    My mate from the north has a running arguement with his local, (which has now resorted to him vandalising there shop) becacause he lives 2 houses down and they refuse to turn it off.

*edit*
    oh yeah, and these things are very rare, ive only heard of 3 of them in the country, and only seen one of those in person

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I was torn about the use of the devices...The 'young people' or more likely 'hoody gangs' do cause a lot of trouble in some areas, but it isn't incredibly widespread. But ya know, some of these shop owners are like "it's worth it due to the half a dozen times my staff have been attacked" and "it's better than having the threat of violence all the time". For those kinds of people you can sympathise, even tho I don't think the device is right.

We have a lot of trouble in the UK actually, and I feel most of it is due to crappy laws that have begun to come into affect - you just can't protect your own land and family without wondering if you're going to get sued by the criminal. Now I know it's not that bad, but if I, who doesn't know anything specific about the laws feel this way then it's certainly not sending a good message.

But it's funny the kind of crap i'm seeing in the newspapers today...the number of bogus surveys and incredible tosh i'm seeing is ridiculous. We keep hearing how crime is so bad everywhere, but actually it's gone down.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A flock of chavs is like a group of guerillas armed with rpgs and machine guns, only the chavs will kill you for fun while the guerillas will at least give some demands

That's how I saw it when I was in England anyway lol

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I guess if they use those too much, the teenagers will break those things, and it'll cost the shop owner money, while it's free for the teenagers.

13. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

What people forget is that 99.9% of chavs are spineless tossers. They might look intimidating, but they're fucking harmless. And the dangerous ones will only attack if odds are 10-1 in they're favour. I've lived in chav-central so, trust me I know what I'm talking about. They are an irritation at best. My locals used to enjoy shouting 'homo' at you then running like fuck when you turn around. Scarey.

14. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

In their defence, UK is pretty dreadful for the chav culture of it's youth and post teens

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

u wot blud? ill knock u up. BLUT BLUT BLUT

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Heh, theres a reason I left the county :)

Without wanting to sound like a right wing alarmist type, the country is getting really going to shit. See this. It's true. The culture of drinking is getting out of control. I went through a phase of drink-until-you-pass-out partying, but now it's all people under 30 seem capable of doing. At job interviews they ask you all these serious questions about your hobbies and interests, then when you start working all they ask is how drunk you got at the weekend. Young people can't afford to buy homes. The UK shoulders 1/3 of Europe's creditcard debt. It's a freaking time bomb.

# /me edits out something that, on reflection, wasn't that funny #

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

The problem is that the stereotype perpetuating the stereotype. Once the news starts broadcasting exceptional things some derailed weirdos do, like murders or random violence, it starts to instill fear in elders which confuses the younger people because all of a sudden they're regarded as potential threats.

Some will take advantage of it and pull stunts, but most will just behave like they've been taught.

I think it's mostly a problem of apathy and lack of social control from elders that let people get away with things. A sense of community (ever since the decline of the church's influence) is sorely lacking in most big cities that used to keep folks in check. It's too easy to go up into an anonymous mass and get away with virtually anything.

18. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Indeed. These dangerous people really are a small minority. Most gangs of kids just hang out together to look tough, but they are harmless. Violent crime in juveniles has been dropping steadily across the western world for over twenty years I believe.

They say the people most scared of crime are the ones least likely to be victims of it (elderly people living in small villages) while those most likely to be victims worry the least. (young urbanites) Oh the irony!

19. REX

REX Member

Now that I think about it quite a few people have been killed here over almost nothing. Last month some guy didnt want to give up his hat, so he got stabed once in the heart and on the most populated street of Copenhagen. A lot of other knife related stuff also.

Also some guy got kicked to death in the nearest town last year.

I agree about the old people being confused and angry at the "young people". Kindoff funny that every one puts up with old people being anoying because we all know that we might get old. But the old people rarely dont complain and think back to their youth because they sure as hell are not going to get young again.

Anyway since this is my thread I dont care I will go a bit off topic. Have you heard ? the shit is going to hit the fan once again :). All the danish newspapers agree that in the name of free speach they will all print the Mohammed drawings, on the samme day. This being a response to the planned murder of the dude who made them.

20. flatmush

flatmush Member

Those things may exist, but no-one will use them. They are likely to cause more problems than they solve, I for one can hear them and if anyone tried to install one then I would cause them pain.