Remove the opt in for commander vote

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Dec 10, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Agreed

Winning 3 games in a row because the other team made poor choices and it ending at 20 minutes just kills it.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

winning 3 games in a row because other team had hobbs... = shit too.
    Com tanks need to be super heavy medium speed shit. Still mobile but, you can't go fucking around in ENEMY BASE since any vehicle could catch you!
    Sparty could give the com the weight/struts/hp to make the com tank impossible to push while being able to push any single tank out of the way.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. Empty

Empty Member

this is pretty much my issue, the CV is the fastest vehicle until lategame which means he can run loops around your base with impunity unless a scout gets him (unlikely if he's paying attention.)

I assigned one driver to constantly tail hobbes and stop him from having time to relax which worked, but in a 6v6 that put my team down 1 (good) driver. Which meant it was essentially costing me an entire player tokeep hobbes suppressed (which I didn't do for the record, he still fucked with our shit with a tank on his ass all game) and I was also out of the equation because as soon as I left the CV a scout was fucking with it, or hobbes was pushing it around, or (later in the game) a retard kept trying to steal it.

It's incredibly frustrating to fight against and I honestly can't say I felt good that entire match.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

god please. you dont go catch the cv as scout - especially not the NF cv. you only have so many stun stickies, what you gonna do if they are out? exactly, nothing you get run over gg.
    if you build a turret in the cvs way and he gets stuck on it, he has to get out or get half the team rescue it, additionally you can wall him and place ammos for the guy that kills him (who hopefully isnt scout, but i wouldnt wonder either).

edit:
    but you can get the be cv stuck on a engi radar or camera, it just requires a tad more timing (and lower ping helps a lot aswell, its incredibly easier to capture cvs on epic then on viper for me)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Jeeps have 2+ seats.
    Scout has limited ammo

Im going to let you ponder about this if you care much about beating the idea of voting hobbes from peoples heads

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I like the idea that everyone is automatically opted in and has to actively opt out, simply because of how few commanders are around now. If we had a big pool of commanders at the moment then the current system would be fine, but we don't.

At the end of the day, if everyone is opted in by default and then has to opt out, then sometimes people are going to unexpectedly become commander. But that's ok because they didn't actively seek it, so it's up to the team to support them in their job, rather than their job to support the team in such circumstances. This is a really important thing for new commanders. I know I certainly didn't command my team during the earlier games I played, the team commanded me and it worked well. It forces people to have more patience because they made the decision to make you commander, rather than you making the decision to opt-in.

But obviously, people should still be able to opt-out if they wish. The only change I'm proposing is to make people opted-in by default.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

agreed, trickster. also the possibility of a person who doesn't know what they're doing getting voted in can cause a person who does know to opt back in

8. 101010

101010 Member

Kind of off topic but while we're talking about commanders......Can required votes to kick the com be lowered.
    Also maybe add and option for a commander to instantly kick someone that takes the CV. Or add a cool down timer before a different com can jump in. So that if a com gets out to build something it is locked to only allow him in for
    1 min.

9. Trickster

The comm-vote out threshold is a server variable.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

speaking of default server variables, why doesnt spartacus do something to change up gameplay in an actually interesting way (and not a interestingly bad way) and lower the cv overheat time

11. Trickster

You played 2.12. You should know why that's a bad idea.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Its an amazing idea.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

reducing it to 0 is bad cause someone might not be in the cv. now reducing it to 20-30 seconds is good cause it gives the com something to do

and dying in the first 5 minutes is instantly preferably to what i witness hobbes doing 4 times every day i choose to play and not getting banned for

14. Trickster

If by something to do, you mean rushing to the first rax point and solo-building it, in which case the other comm might come and kill you, or vice versa, or you try to kill him and die, or vice versa again, in which case your CV is 10 miles away from your infantry and the other team has a spawn next to it, then yes, your commander has something to do.

Seriously, I was one of the worst people for this and I am so fucking glad it's gone. It's not just that though - not doing getting that early rax up by not rushing could cost your team the game there and then, so it's a lose-lose situation. The 60 second CV overheat timer is one of the best changes made in time I've been playing this game.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I want the game to be more friendly to new commanders, not less. Don't lower that heat time.

16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

NO

NO

NO

Jesus is it painful to be the only smart person on this forum!

17. Trickster

Don't get me wrong, I know there will be situations where a new guy gets opted in, does nothing and the game is over. But how is that any different to no-one getting in the CV at all? At least in this scenario, maybe some newer players or less confident ones accidentally end up in the CV, and the team feels like it's their responsibility to help them through it, rather than it being the Commander's responsibility to help the team through it. It's how I learnt to command and I know a lot of other people went through the same. Eventually you gain the confidence to make your own decisions, but until then it's nice to be in a situation where the team isn't holding you responsible for doing everything because they know you didn't intend to be in that situation.

I mean, surely it's worth a try?

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

But we did try that, that was how the vote worked at the beginning and it always led to some random first time player getting into the CV when no one else wanted to command. IMO the better way to get someone into the CV is the 'game will one start once both teams have coms' option. - You want to play? Well you better take one for the team and command.

19. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That really isn't any different then what happens now.

I don't think it's a bad thing though, when else is the new guy gonna command? Everyone on the team has already stated they don't want to do it by voting for someone else, they know what they're getting. And hey, if you really don't like the idea of a new guy getting in then vote for the vet, they didn't opt out so it's clear they're willing to command, or too slow on the draw.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

i think trickster hates the idea of a commander being a part of the teamwork of the early game.
    i dont get why the idea of a front-line commander is so dirty. coordination with your team should be encouraged. and if you die with no one around you then you deserve to lose. Any situation in which teamwork can be rewarded should be encouraged, not avoided.