Remove the opt in for commander vote

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It would be like back then, everyone on the team would be eligible to be voted on.

Now then, I know you may ask "why the hell would we want something that opt in was suppose to fix?" Simply because voting currently works even before anyone opts in, everyone on the team goes"who's commanding?" Eventually someone says I will and opts in and gets voted in at one vote. Outstanding.

Doing this will be the same most of the time as it currently is, but for new players on a team with out anyone who regularly plays they will all see that they can all be commander and then vote on who would do the best. Right?

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I feel like that would work, but there needs to be some kind of feedback loop to cause noobs to "vote on who would do the best".

I know we've beaten this house a million times, but one example would be some kind of statistic that measures previous commanding ability. I'm not getting into how that might work, but the point is that noobs need something to guide them into making the "right" decision.

3. Lazybum

They use to just vote whoever topped the score board the previous round. Nothing stops players from saying not me or saying why they would do great either.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I don't know if this was said before.
    Just display the players total hour count they have in the game and let people decide for themselves.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I liked instead doing the old being opted in by default, and everyone has to race to opt out. This way everyone is notified of the vote and the state of who can be commander, while also giving them the choice of not running.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Those are weaker ways of causing that essential feedback loop. The previous game's scoreboard is not available when players vote. You also can't count on players communicating whether they are a good or bad candidate because players can easily ignore voice chat (both intentionally and otherwise) and that system doesn't scale up to 40 players.

7. Lazybum

So what? Those guys aren't really gonna vote anyway half the time. I know it's a good idea to have something that says how well someone does, but that's gonna feel meaningless most of the time because of how games tend to play out. Most of the time players will get an idea of who to vote for after a few rounds, people never really change their names and it's always the same people playing.

I feel like you assume that everyone will vote, when that is never ever the case. I wouldn't be surprised if even half of them don't vote. I mean even when there is only two people outta of a 10 man team there will be 3 votes, 2 of them being the candidates.

The idea here isn't even exactly to get competent commanders in the seat, they don't want to command half the time. The idea is to get more people in the seat and show them what it's like and encourage people to try out the commander seat. The idea is to get more commanders, hopefully ones that enjoy it and can grow into good commanders.

Grant's idea might be nice too, probably better even so people who say they don't want to command who get voted in anyway and then proceed to run away from the command vehicle, leaving the team commanderless doesn't happen as often.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Quite frankly, all of this sounds real bad.

What we currently have encourages passiveness, yes, but the suggestion of having everyone be eligible to vote (and id assume, possibly unable to out) seems really bad. I dont really fancy seeing people being forced into playing com.

Now, having it show hours is not great either. Sure it shows if someone at least have played the game before, so theres that, but it doesnt tell you anything if someone actually has any idea on how to com. Plenty of players have never really commed.

So one issue that I see as legitimate is that the countdown to gamestart starts with the first guy to join a team. This creates a situation when people joining later for whatever reason, might not have much time to organise shit.
    Id propose a rather simple solution that could fix that at least:

"Round start countdown doesnt start untill both teams have at least one person opt in each."

Edit: I just realised that using both quotes AND italics is stupidly redundant, but hey

9. Lazybum

Ohhhh, yeah. I want that real bad. That'd solve some problems for sure.

I still want more people to command though. It's hard for newer people to get into it for a lot of reasons.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This better be toggleable if someone decides to do it, otherwise checking comm maps during creation is going to be a pain.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i fully support lazys suggestion, even though "if you vote me in i will get out immediatly" will be a common phrase heard during comm vote time again as it was before the opt-in system was installed.
    anyway we had a (felt) whole lot more people willing to command a round or two before the current system has been put in place, so my hopes would be that this changes again, sometimes a bit of forcing isnt the worst ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yup, I don't understand why it went away. I thought it was coded into Empires but it seems it was a server plugin.

Also, did you guys forget how things were when we only had a "opt out" button? All the vets opted out and left for the vote were noobs who didn't even know how to get out of command view.

The lack of care for the commander implementation in Empires is a story for itself anyways.

13. flasche

yes its a shame, everyone is so anal about "hurr this weapon does 1 dmg too much and its aoe is 2m too low durr" while the real issues are left untouched for since forever.

at least we get new unblanced weapons thrown ontop of the pos we have so we can complain about new shit each version, disguising that theres so many old shit not working flawlessly.
    but hey, what i complain about, its not like comm would be important or anything ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  14. Lazybum

Again, so what? Vets didn't want to command anyway, so they have to help out the new commander. I really don't get this complaint of all things. Yeah, it sucks not getting things when you want and things being behind, but you can't get a decent commander willing to command all the time. Never getting newer people means less competent commanders which means less good times overall.

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I think the old system, the system that is getting suggested, is good for a few psychological reasons.
    1. Getting voted without being opted gives the player some sort of appraisal for their commander skill. This makes people happy and more willing to command.
    2. If noone has to opt in noone has to think of commanding as a choor, not seeing anyone who wants to command and ubeing the only one opted it gives the illusion that its a not wanted job.

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

isnt this gonna create ppl getting voted in but leaving the cv, because they never wanted it?
    I can imagine this would be pretty much every round problem.

But anyway for people not voting at all. The comm voting should be the last thing to pop up after joining a team, selecting class, squad and spawn point. It should also be enforced to be open until the round starts.

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Just make commanding better and you won't need ways to force people into doing it.
    Commanding is the only thing in the game that truely needs more features to be complete.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Commanding is not something one can "fix" overnight. Moreover, even if we remove the annoying crap (building placement being wonky, getting stuck in objects etc.) you cannot remove the people part of commanding, which is a bigger issue than glitchy gameplay

19. flasche

the whole crux about commanding is that its not attractive enough for experienced players - their impact in the commchair is less then on the frontlines. what does it matter to have everything researched and built in time, when your guys fail to kill a single apc.

but there also is a severe stacking and elitism problem in empires. the majority of rounds are won before they even started, new people are put against teams where there is absolutely no chance to even have the slightest fun and get mocked for asking simple questions.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Bigger pop games are more fun since you have more people to manage. We should get more people.