Remove Comm's ability to give targets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flounder, Jun 3, 2008.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

My god, are you trying to get banned? If you don't stop raging, I can assure you will get banned soon.

2. Sirex

Sirex Member

But seriously, his posts...

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I used to be similar. I saw a stupid post and I went as ragey as you. I got rewarded with a ~8 month ban that was only lifted because it was XMAS and arklansman was feeling generous.

4. Sirex

Sirex Member

Oh that don't seem like fun. I edited my post.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I was replying to another post saying that right now, you cannot target any buildings by dragging.

If targets were big round area attack targets, the com cannot get people to focus their attack. If there was a barracks and vehicle factory right next to each other, they would both be in the circle, and the people will not know which to attack, so they will just pick one randomly, making them not as efficient as if they attacked a building together. Some people will just stand still trying to kill the infantry when the com really wants you to take out the barracks first.

6. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Well, then just shout out, "Attack the barracks!".

7. Fricken Hamster

I wish that that would work, but some people only pay attention to their hud. Some even mute all ingame voice...

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

If they don't know the dangers of a barracks then they will shortly.

Players will kill what they want. 90% of targets given are ignored. Those that arn't get cheated out of the element of surprize.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The suggestion is just to make area attack orders big round general 'kill things here' circles (rather than placing wallhack diamonds on every enemy in the area.) Individual-target attack orders (at least on buildings) would still work... to the extent that people listen to them now, anyway.

It isn't even that I have anything against 'wallhacks' as a gameplay mechanic (enhanced senses or sensor equipment or whatever granting it is fine by me, say.) I just dislike the gameplay mechanic that encourages the comm to repeatedly click-drag the area to buff their troops with wallhacks -- it's unintuitive to new comms, it's repetitive, and it basically feels a bit silly. If we want comms to grant wallhack-powers, I think it should be a more clearly-defined comm power with some sort of limitation.

10. Fricken Hamster

What do you think players would rather attack? just a normal enemy, or an enemy with a big kill me on it? Sure players will make important decisions, such as killing the person that is shooting at them first even if they are not targeted, but the targets do draw attention.

having small static targets for buildings might work, but what if you wanted to give higher priority moving targets, namely the enemy commander? If the com moves and the target moves with him, it defeats the purpose of changing the system we have now. If the targets stays still, you'll end up targeting nothing, or have the com desperately trying to update the attack order on the com, which is pretty silly too.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

@Fricken Hamster

man, just admit that you would be fucked without commander mass targets ...

in your example with the rax and vf, im pretty sure most reasonable players would try to get rid of the barracks first, because its the location where enemies can spawn from. i mean how hard is it to figure that out?
    also commanders still can talk or write to players that are able to listen or read. players that arent and dont do what they are supposed to do, dont deserve any help anyway ...

sorry if the first sentence is a bit harsh, but i dont get why u argueing against something most ppl in here seem to agree on, and that is:
    COMMANDER DIRECT ATTACK ORDERS ARE WALLHACKS. WALLHACKS ARE CONSIDERED CHEATING IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE FPS/RTS/WHATEVER. THEY DONT PROMOTE TACTICS, THE JUST PROMOTE THE TEAM WITH THE COMMANDER THAT UPDATES THEM MORE OFTEN. :rolleyes:

but anyway, ill explain it to you again (at least what i would like to see):

the commander should only able to give area based targetes to either groups, individuals (with selection) or all players (without selection)
    the area is then marked on the minimap as circle (transparent ofc) and in 3D space the center of that area is marked with an icon depending on the order type.

if the commander wants to have a certain area cleared of buildings, he klicks into that area and the above stuff apears for either the selected group/player or everyone if no single player is selected.

i think that there will be a unofficial agreement between players and commanders that the target in the center of the area (the one where the neat little icon in 3D space will be) should be considered primary target. sure new players wont get that instantly, but they wont understand or missunderstand half of the game anyway.

if the target is unclear the commander can still ask the players over mic or in teamsay to attack that specific targt. likewise the players can ask a commander what building they should primary focus on (the armory or the rax ... because it wouldnt be cristal clear anyway ... man cmon dont think we all are stupid as shit)

but dont get sad, there will still be wallhacks called engineer cameras/radars and the big buildable radar thing (aswell as the skill you can choose as scout). this wallhacks are perfectly fine. and you know why? u can get rid of them by killing their source.

k?
    thx
    bai :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  12. Sirex

Sirex Member

What is so hard to grasp that allowing target for one unit is not game breaking? I have said before that one target is fine, becouse then it would be a tank/building/ninja or commander, a target of high priority, butt mass attack needs to go. Yeah it would be wallhack but it would be fine. Or what flasche said.

I hate you and think that you are dumb.

13. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Well, then that's why removing mass attack orders is good. You can focus the firepower of players instead of having them attack random targets.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I think that mass target should be kept for standard buildings ONLY (e.g. anything BUT turrets, walls, and cameras/mini-radars). There is no reason why the commander shouldn't be able to mark a ton of buildings if he/she so wishes. If the commander wants a vehicle targeted then it should be limited to 1. Infantry should be excluded from commander targeting all together.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well a ground based target would work equally well on buildings as they are huge anyway ...

i kinda disagree for vehicles, maybe if the comm targets dissapear after a (short) while. it so annoying, if everybody knows where you even if you try to be sneaky (well its way more annoying atm with mass targtes, so if it really has to be id be DAMN HAPPY with killx suggestion - but id rather see them gone altogether)

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

There is a place, though, for the targeting system. Just not the spam. Buildings should be markable. They're large structures and the commander should be able to specify which ones to take out first. Tanks should be limited, but not gone. Its a freaking tank. Tanks should NOT be able to sneak. Infantry, for obvious reasons I could write a 3 page essay on, should be excluded all together.

17. Fricken Hamster

that was uncalled for...
    Even though people know that the barracks is more important, I see people attack the vf first all the time. Having an area target might work for buildings, but not for anything that moves. How are you going to target their commander? keep clicking where their com is?

limiting the targets to one makes it very hard for the commander. its already hard right now to right click on the enemy, most of the time when I try it, it gives a move order. Having it draggable makes it impossible for the computer to know which enemy inside your rectangle is the one you want to target

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Hamster: The VF can spit out spawn points AND tanks, thus making it a bigger threat.

19. Fricken Hamster

Exactly! you need smaller more focused targets so you know which one to kill

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

Attack orders should just flash the targets so that the player has to pay attention to the general area of his enemy. Alternatively, attack orders should not be in real time.