Remove Comm's ability to give targets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flounder, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Single attack orders are fine its not like a comm can realistically micro the majority of this players with it so they constantly have wallhacks. If he can than more power to him.

2. Sirex

Sirex Member

Yeah single attacks and area attacks are fine.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes i think area based (with a area painted on the minimap and an icon floating in its center in 3D) would be best.
    i think "attack <insertcertainunittypehere> in that area" is a bit too detailed, but in general yes. id use "carefull here" or "attack that area" rather then single unit types.
    it shouldnt be more than 6-8 different order types, as they would use too much keys and clutter the commander interface.

4. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

Wait a second.....Wouldnt this make arty useless against anything thats any smaller than a barracks?

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

No?
    /filler

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

actually that would make the scouts binocs usefull ^^

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Exactly! Removing mass attack orders gives the side benefit of making scouts more useful.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Also, sensors/giant radars. And individual structure attack orders if they're kept. And the 'spotting' button that anyone can do (although it would be nice if that were easily mappable to one key.) And you can always eyeball it, of course, to figure out where it is on the map, then use arty feedback.

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

single targets are still targets and wall hacks. Attacking in a general direction is too vague.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Why not just make it so the single-target attack cursor doesn't follow the target? Easy. Of course, prevent the comm from repeatedly targeting the same enemy over and over in a short period of time, too.

11. Fricken Hamster

Most of the times, enemies are extremely close to each other. Unless there is a target directly on them, there is no way to know what target the com gave you. If you ever commed and tried to give single targets, you know how hard it is. The lag before the target is given makes it impossible to give single targets. Most people just drag around the target, but if the com could only give 1 target, how will the server know which target the com intended to give?

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

So when the comm gives an area target, just average the locations of all of those, and drop a single-target on the ground in the center point. Not too hard.

Basically, the comm should be able to tell people "go to this general location and kill the enemies you find there." They shouldn't be able to telepathically insert exact knowledge of enemy movements directly into their soldier's brains.

13. Fricken Hamster

What if there was a barracks and a vf next to each other? The com might want one taken out first, so he has to give precise targets. you give a big circle target on the ground and the guy starts killing the tank, which the com doesn't want.

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

So you drag a box over the one you want. Just like now.

...how would that be different from now at all, actually? The only things I'm suggesting be changed are how area-select works when choosing multiple targets, and how it works with moving targets (by not following them.) You could still select one rax just as easily as you can now.

More easily, in fact. If the rax is filled with troops, at the moment it is very difficult to put an attack order on just the rax -- you drag over it, you'll get the troops, too, which can be a problem if they then run out and your soldiers focus on them when you want them to focus on the rax. But under the new system, dragging and selecting the rax will put an attack order smack dab in its center, regardless of who's inside.

15. Fricken Hamster

first, dragging does not give building targets, only infantry.
    second, you still need precision. having a big circle on the floor doesn't tell you want in the circle to attack

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

You'd still be able to give specific targets on buildings. I'm not sure what you're saying... nobody here has suggested changing that. I only suggested a change to the way area-targets work, and a change to the way targets on moving things work. Neither of those matter for a rax or VF.

17. Fricken Hamster

I'm just saying, the way targets are right now is the only way they are going to work

18. Sirex

Sirex Member

Please be quite.

It would be allright, because one target usually means it is a building/tank/ninja.
    So there is no problem.

Edited!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Wait, what? Be more specific about what you disagree with and why. You said you didn't think it would work because people wouldn't be able to target a rax. I was confused, because that has nothing to do with what's being suggested.

So... what do you object to? Why don't you think it would work to make enemy targeting static and mass-targeting area-based rather than the current system? It removes the 'wallhack' nature of current targeting. Are you saying you find the advantage that those see-through-wall red diamonds give to be a valuable gameplay mechanic, or is there something else?

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

I'm tired of people knowing where I am and I'm sure my victims are tired too.