New empires community dwarf fortress?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nattaboy, Jun 24, 2010.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Vulkanis can make whatever rules he wants for HIS fortress.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ive gotten far worse, i cant even put up a working military anymore :((((

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

so you're saying you want to gimp everyone's military when you admit that there are things in the game that can slaughter an entire mature, well-defended fortress singlehandedly? please.

Without spoiling the game too much, I have attempted twice to breach beyond the magma layer and both times have resulted in the death of my fortress. The second time, I considered myself fairly well-prepared.

I suggest that anyone who hasn't dug below the magma yet shouldn't be writing rules about the military.

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

First of all. Steam monsters will be locked in eternal combat with their victims never killing them but rarely getting killed themselves like the old skeletal creatures.

5. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

first of all? you stopped at the first one. is there anything else you'd like to add as you read from the wiki without ever playing or was that it?

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

@v
    except for when they are not the only type of demon (unless you set it on gen to 1 type, they are not)
    You shouldnt breach the spoiler in the first place. If the never ending stream od fun wont kill your fort, fps will.
    About the military, just read some topics on bay12 forums lazyfags, it's all expained there what you should and shouldnt do with military in 31.0x

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

you're clearly playing the wrong game.

8. Zeke

Zeke Banned

embark on terrifying terrain with plenty of Z-levels (not some silly number like 40 to the bottom)
    and set the max % of water in the cave systems to ~15-20%
    its no fun digging down and realising that almost all life has drowned.
    add some extra titans and set the end year at 10 or some other early number.
    and make sure its a place where all races can access the area for trading and war.
    preferably not a freezing climate... ice fortresses is no fun. (deserts and glass fortresses are all fine though)
    dont embark on a volcano, it tends to fill the cave systems with lava.
    change the density of cave systems so we dont get only narrow passages or just a big hole. set the min and max value at like 20-80.
    except that anything is goodie.

edit: oh, and plx no aquafiers ^_^

9. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

You know what, screw it. Just dorf me. I'd probably end up caceling my turn I have a vacation to get to.

10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

l2read

edit: btw nattaboy, make sure u include a anvil for embarking and make the dwarfs good at "unneeded" stuff like social skills so there is no specialization upon embarking.
    or just make them all miners/masons. lol
    and if we go for a map with vegetation we might aswell screw food and just let some guy pick that from bushes ^_^
    and get 2 cats! :D

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

My personal starting strategy involves no anvil, lots of thread and dye, 3 miners, 1 clothier / dyer 1 farmer and 1 foodmaker with room for 2 random dwarfs with whatever other skills i need.

make the thread into dyed cloth and make lots of dyed crafts to trade for an anvil during the first caravan. I never smelt anything anyway for the first year. the 3 miners give me lots of labor to dig out my starting fortress and i have plenty to trade and build wealth which gives me lots of immigrants.

so i'd rather have no anvils and the skills set up like that.

12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

ive had a fortresses which were unable to trade for anvils from the other nations caravans (yes including dwarfs)... i waited for 2 years (edit: before rage quitting)... i raged hard.

since then ive always had an anvil, just in case. lol

anyway, keep the setup of the team so it doesnt align towards anything, skip a anvil even, i dont really care, the chance of becomming unavailable isnt high.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

get only craftsmen skill, possibly cloth crafters or stone crafters (and then bring 6 pickaxes, or make them on cene)

something that benefits for trading, so we can get a flexible fortress

14. Z100000M

And you dare say about not playing the right game.
    Good luck playing with this build on anything but a calm region.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

You're clueless man.

Outdoor shit, even at terrifying, is just a minor distraction compared to the dangers lurking below. Forges are completely not necessary to setting up a good fortress defense. The best defense against the outside is MINERS and a good design. You can easily supplement your defense with a few crossbows equipped with bone and wood bolts and a fortification.

The thousand points you spend at embark on a forge is simply a waste of points. I sincerely doubt you've ever gotten a steel industry running before the first winter which is when the caravan comes, at which time I will be ahead of you in every category, including immigrants and wealth.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

anvils cost 100 points, not 1000 that was the old version

17. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

I'm looking at Genesis mod, looks kinda cool. I'll put a checklist of things on the first post, and vote what you do/don't want etc.

also, here's the link to the Genesis mod forum page, in case you are unsure what it is - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0

18. Zeke

Zeke Banned

screw genesis, keep it vanilla :P

19. Z100000M

This one sentence made your whole point useless, go play the game, and see how usefull crossbows are in newest version. That is if you will perform a miracle and get them working.

Also, if you are on a evil biome, every evil-able creature will be in its zombie or skeletal form(cave ones as well). Now ask yourself how usefull are piercing weapons such as picks or bolts against such enemies.

Lastly, forges ARE a necesary investment, with current materials values, materials are all that matter. Leather or bone armor suck dick, so good luck with them.

Like blizzard said, you just addmited that you never played the newest version, anvils cost is 100. Yes i had a running steel ind before the first caravan.
    Wealth and migrants doesnt mean jack shit. Higher wealth only means you'll get ambushes sooner, and good luck with those without a working metal ind.
    As for migrants, your point is totaly invalid. Before the first caravan leaves the screen, migrants will come no matter the wealth.

Play the game and stop trying to look smart by reading outdated wiki articles.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  20. Hygrom

Hygrom Member