Listening Posts.

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Chris0132', May 9, 2009.

1. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

well least i wont be giving targets anymore.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ah cmon im sure you can learn how to play without wallhacks too :P

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Bumping because it's awesome.

4. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I have been hinting at the idea of cameras and radars doing this (for infantry/vehicles respectively)... then allowing commander built both the approx size of engi built ones.

Then rename current radar to either "data uplink center" or "research lab" and remove it's radar ability (adjust costs of course).

5. Trickster

This idea is superior

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Do want

7. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Just as long as it's super-obvious (shows up on radar?) and has relatively low health and costs more than a 'rax.

8. zenarion

zenarion Member

What is the point of these phallic symbols? To not have engies build radars and cameras?

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

How about we make it a commander-target replacement :p

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that was the intention of that. and i think its good ...

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I haven't been following this full discussion, but I do have a request, or at least a suggestion for refinement.

If this is added, and it replaces comm targets, how about instead -- make it so the comm can still give targets, but only to people who have camera / radar / listening post diamonds highlighting them already, and all it does is turn the diamond red?

This would let the comm scream "kill these people over there!" through the interface, without actually giving their team any more advantage than cameras / listening posts give already.

12. Trickster

I agree with Aquillion.

13. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Amazing. This has all of the game fucking up features that regular wallhacks have - that they're on the screen all of the time, that they track people like regular wallhacks and thus create all of the FPS gameplay problems that I have listed before, except that instead of it possibly being for only one team, it is definitely for only one team.

The whole point of wallhacks, the reason they are still in the game, is because of the one pro that dizzy pointed out that they point out where the enemy is. This speeds up gameplay and reinforces the structure of the map as in, makes it clearer and easier to distinguish territory controlled. In other words, wallhacks create a solid front line, because sneaking past the front line isn't possible, you simply have to push their line back.

This suggestion removes even that good element of wallhacks. Because instead of dynamically following the front lines, these have to be placed and built and thus won't serve that purpose at all for the vast majority of play.

It's like someone didn't look at the problems and symptoms behind wallhacks whatsoever and just thought "hey, the reason people don't like wallhacks is because of the burden on the commander", which is almost the least of the serious reasons to remove wallhacks so much so that it's almost a soft reason to remove them. There are a hell of a lot of more serious reasons to remove wallhacks and this keeps all of those reasons in the game.

Dire.

14. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Mhm, I like your point Sandbag. But you can make that point for every building. Like when both teams have raxes that automatically creates a static solid front line.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mmm..well, he's kinda right. The solid front wall is because you can't sneak around the listening post....but how about you just make it so that the radius of the listening post isn't massive, just large. And that you can't place another listening post within *so many clicks* (because they interfere with each other's signals or something).

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I believe this suggestion is a wonderful intermediate. A mindless job is taken away from the commander, established bases are better defined and "wallhacks" are no longer available for free.

However, there's still one thing I'm wondering about. What if the listening post's range was massive, but couldn't penetrate walls or anything hard? That way, a squad hiding behind rocks would be unnoticed until they came within line of sight of the post (and they'd disappear again if they hid behind something again). It would force the post to be vulnerable to be as effective as possible.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Beerdude...wallhax is precisely wallhax because we didn't know you guys could do that :eek:

Awesome idea, support!

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I'm not saying I can, I'll ask MOOtant for the feasibility of this idea.

19. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Doing that kind of collision detection sounds like a very bad idea.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

How would it be any different from turrets? (minus the bullets :rolleyes: )