Listening Posts.

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Chris0132', May 9, 2009.

1. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

This...is fucking sexy

2. Centron

Centron Member

I necro this post for how amazing and fairly easily implemented it is.

3. Drag

Drag Member

No doubt, I already stuffed it on the "probably going to do for 2.25" but I need the model and some measurements (for the boundary boxes entries in the script) to stuff it in. Then ofcourse find the right coder for the job + fight to remove comm order spam.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'll finish the physbox for the NF one at some point and send you it, do you need vehicle physboxes as well?

5. Drag

Drag Member

I have no idea, seing as we have no modeller with time on the team it would be best if you'd deliver anything needed to implement it so I can pack a package that can be added at a moments notice (e.g. when the functionalities are in) Without a vehicle physbox vehicles would drive through it unless its handled like walls are (?)

So yea.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't know how vehicle physboxes work, or what they're for. No other source model uses them.

I assume they just give the vehicles a simpler collision model but I don't know why that's neccesary or whether it has any special requirements.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

I don't even think the vehicle physboxes are actually used, but I'm not 100% on that.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I dunno, I mean I'm fairly sure the BE rax functions as a simple trapezium when you drive at it.

I know the walls don't have one which suggests they aren't neccesary, but they are only blocks.

9. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I support this idea because I think the Brenodi tinfoil hat machine and the NF chimney look cool.

10. Mashav

Mashav Member

I support you getting the title "Necromancer".
    I also support Listening Posts.

11. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

This is a brillient idea! I can't believe I didn't think of this, I've always wanted a radar to do something like this, I really hope this gets added in the near future :D

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Yeah the great dead thread revival party ,
    I like the listeningpost, best thing since ammoboxes
    but i don`t like that this suggestion is about adding listening posts just to get a reason to remove commanders targeting ability ... these are 2 suggestions, it would need playtesting first, however i would be fucking pissed if i had no more option to controle my units to attack single targets behind our frontline ...
    Attack orders could be nerfed to single targets only though ... but i don`t like it, that makes commanding even more useless and somewhat boring ... drop stuff, reseach, write stuff in chat, get ignored, reseach, loose or win ... cool story ... omgawd -_-'

13. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

WHAT

I thought this thread was new, since I followed a link from a recent reply... My bad.

As for attack orders, I don't think those should be removed; just nerfed so that if the enemy units get out of vision/range, you don't magically know their position.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bumping because the idea is solid

15. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

i vote no, on account of its the commander whos job it is to give tools to the team, these things will be sabed, blown up by tanks, w.e. then you have 5 he-mg's waiting behind the rush crew to mow you down and burn your tickets. plus it lacks the realism as we have it now, com view- satellite relay, this= scifi (radar through walls and mountains? fail, ) implement it along with com targets first at least..

16. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I am all for this, together with a new building, named defence faciltiy for example which is needed to build these listening posts and to research the turret upgrades.

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Firedrill, we already have radars and cameras that go through walls. This is merely bigger.

A good and sound idea overall. I too dislike mass comm targeting...

18. Korpi

Korpi Member

Great suggestion! It gets my support.

The listening posts should work as the engineer radar and camera combined (with longer range though) so that they detect vehicles and infantry in range (but infantry only when in sight), and make them blink every 5 seconds or so. The symbol for vehicles should be different to the infantry symbol. The commander should see all the targets too and be able to highlight them but it should not make the targets blink more often because that would mean the comm would have to spam targets and nothing would change.

Also, the current research radar should work like the listening post so the main base would automatically have one.

19. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

now theres an idea.. com targeting being linked to the listening posts. changing the color of that enemy's retical to red."here's all your enemys, kill that one"

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't have any issue with that, allowing the comm to specify targets isn't an issue, only the fact that they can stick a million of them all over the place.

The problem with that is that radars have a huge range, the idea here is that these are limited by your territorial control, but radars can cover huge areas of the map.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009