Infiltration: Black Ops Field Training

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If anyone's wondering what I was doing, now all the bs from infiltrators is over, I'll just quickly state.

I scouted D.D.D the first night, and told him everything (though he didn't reply). I then told him I'd send pm's to people and bcc him in so we could watch for mistakes and work in the background. That's basically my one use as scout done - a person who couldn't be sure of me, but who I hoped would help me if we stumbled over evidence.

I voted Lazybum just as a place holder and because we basically had to vote. No big idea there. Spartacus (infiltrator) spurred the line that me voting outright, clearly and without particular intent - and with the clear idea that Lazybum probably wouldn't be killed (except that first day's ridiculous 3 person vote that I didn't predict), meant I was probably an infiltrator or half-assing the game somehow.

Which you guys bought, hook, line and sinker.

I'd be interested if that was actually any kind of clue or not regarding Spartacus, since they always seem pretty oblique to me.

Heh, I was right for once. Somewhat glad I didn't get you killed with a double take-down now.

Spartacus blatantly said he didn't want bandwagons then participated in one. No one picked up on it. Spartacus also supremely endorsed Devourawr's posts as being always on the mark, but even when he was shown to be an infiltrator, Devourawr somehow escaped notice on those grounds.

One infiltrator night was clearly a person takeover, which I'm surprised wasn't obvious. It pretty much screwed things that it was D.D.D though.

McGuyver and Metal Smith... I'm pretty surprised you weren't infiltrators. You kinda did their job for them tbh. There's like pages of you guys posting and double posting without the infils needing to do much at all.

In conclusion, most of you seem to love histrionics, are confused by critical thinking and/or text interpretation, and the lack of roleplay severely hurt the game because people just threw up pm's and decided to have a slanging match. I think this went terribly as people hardly looked back for clues or evidence which is actually the cornerstone of this game.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

That and him and flashe never bothering to start a sentence with a capital.

3. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Here are the PMs I exchanged with Candles.

I realized after sending the PM containing "The problem is that if he succeeds in rallying the troops to vote Spartacus and if Spartacus is an infiltrator, then you're dead the next day unless I scout McGyver tonight and tell him the next day that you're innocent" that this method wouldn't work because McGyver would have you killed before I could tell him that you are innocent. However, if McGyver lived after that day then I almost certainly would have figured out my mistake in time and I might have risked it to send a message to McGyver telling him that Candles is base crew even without knowing for sure what class McGyver is.

Other than that, I tried to lie low in the game thread and reveal as little as possible. I had to put myself out there to defend Candles though.

Also, after I scouted Metruption, I sent a message called "Metruption is an Infiltrator" to Metal Smith and Devourawr. Oops.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

spartacus and devourawr didnt escape me and mcgyvers suspicions. the third night i wanted to scout dev but mcgyver wanted me to do spartacus. turns out either one would've worked
    LOL NO ONE FIGURED IT OUT ACCORDING TO IKALX. we had no idea it couldve been ddd. it couldve been metalsmith
    well when one refuses to change their vote regardless of logic it looks suspicious. it also gets annoying when someone throws a wrench into your plan.

i hope empty does a debriefing and points so he can deduct me points for
    "griefing"

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

looking at imac's pm, its obvious that candles was pretty much wrong alot, and flip flopped on trusting players (why would dev ever be trusted, why trust metalsmith when he killed the rifleman). and you wasted a scout power on someone who should've died when mcgyver was proven right (metruption)

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah you, but aside from your Hodor, it looked pretty much like no one else really picked up on it.
    Eh, I guess from that and imac's post there was a lot going on behind the scenes. So maybe I've been a bit of a douche about it, and I'm sorry about that.

Still, I don't really like how everyone seems to take all their ideas to pm, and what ends up on the actual forum is a bit of a slapstick shouting match. That means anyone outside the loop (which is probably half the basecrew) don't get any idea of what's going on and so can't make informed decisions.

Which...sorta seems to have happened.

Edit: And I guess I'm still pretty sore that people voted me even though it was pretty obvious not to. I mean, I don't mind being voted off for spite, or randomly killed, or just plain dicked on by infils, but when it's done in the face of evidence and it just looks like blind...disregard for anything? It makes me pretty annoyed...like I don't feel people care at all (about the game).

Though I recently read a thread about the one where I betrayed a medic and rifleman to be the last infil standing, so in retrospect, yeah you probably should vote me off first every time. You probably made the right call.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My personal opinion:

The charges system was really good. This was probably the most interesting game of infiltration for a while, and I felt it was pretty close cut.

Obviously getting killed on the first night by the RIFLEMAN is pretty shitty. If it's infils then I'm not too bothered, but when you're on the side of the base crew and you take a total shot in the dark on the first night (not to mention using your only charge, which is griefing the base crew in itself), that's really fucking stupid. Metalsmith took out the 3-charge Engineer on the first night with absolutely no evidence or reason to. Throughout the game you pretty much hindered the base crew at every turn. Ikalx wasn't much better either.

Seriously guys, Rifleman is on the side of the base crew, he's not a fucking lone wolf playing the game for himself.

Anyway, I have more to say but I'm already super late for work, fuck you guys. Also banned Paradox for 2 weeks for deadposting before the game ended.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That sucked, fucking getting lynched by both the infiltrators and the crew.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I trusted Devourawr mostly because I didn't have much reason to not trust him and he mentioned the charges. And regardless of what Metal Smith did, I was still right that he was an innocent.

I was also right about Metruption and Predator, and I never had a great amount of suspicion for any of the base crew. If anything, I was most correct than I thought I was.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

well good on you for trusting someone who mentions charges after both ikalx (sorta) and mcgyver mentioned them. you voted to kill mcgyver too

also didnt you guys get a pm saying ddd called himself the engineer? im wondering if this pm was only sent to me because it really contradicts what devourawr said. im curious why you didnt vote the last day

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This was a silly game.

I do have to say, being seemingly afk isn't helpful to base crew. If anything it just helps the infiltrators more, just because base crew doesn't know what to think of you when you never post or vote, so the odds of actually getting an infiltrator is lower.

I gotta kinda agree with Ikalx about everything happening in pms and simple nonsense being posted on the forums. Though I guess that is the way to play this, make little groups and try to win in the shadows sorta deal.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Or you can have two guys do all the work, one act like a raving lunatic and create a smoke screen for the other one.

I didn't see any scout collusion at all.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So, I told you guys, and pointed out the best, most direct evidence in the game regarding devorawr.

>_>

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Complete, yes they got the pm but come on... Of course we had 4 scouts. That much was obvious.....

Empty- you could've just let us die rather than dragging the game out. You have no idea how frustrating it is when people have no common sense. Not to mention throwing the game by targeting the best engineer and the rifleman.

The teamswitch mechanic made it pretty unrecoverable though. If we hadve killed Devourawr like I wanted then I would've trusted ddd since he was presumably the last engineer like I said. Edit: especially after specifically saying there were 4 infiltrators.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I would like to make the suggestion that in future games we vote metal Smith out on the first night and paradox on the second, since metal did much worse than paradox ever has

16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Hahaha spartacuses chat log. Not only did metal kill the best engineer and the best rifle (and waste his kill) but he then showed spartacus his role pm.... Which might I add is against the rules in the op.

17. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I agree that it's a bit op but keep in mind that ddd didn' have the ability to set infiltrator targets and he couldn't win alone.

Here is what Empty told us:

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Empty also told me I would win, but I got shot in the face instead.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

My POV:

I got scouted by Ikalx and appear to have forgotten to respond to his PM. I bought the story based on the charges mentioned. I had no real plan until the night Metal Smith outed himself, where I targeted him with my first charge. I didn't include the lack of charges into calculation, I just assumed the infils would kill him at that point, so I set out to save him.

Turns out they had mind control. So I had to switch around my game a bit, with that vote on McGyver I kinda threw it - I'm too nice to backstab people openly like that and changed my vote to do a double kill. After that, it was a bit scrappy and the innocents (namely wealthy and complete) threw the game big time in the other direction, so we still won in the end.

And then I died, so a big fuck you to Empty for making me lose even if I win :p

IMO the mind control isn't that bad, it's just that I'm too nice to people and felt really bad about myself when McGyver kept asking me to change votes. Anyone else MC'd would probably not give the infils so much of a headache ^^

EDIT: Also assuming nothing bad happens I'd like to try hosting an infiltration game around Christmas, I have an idea of what it would look like already.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Change the word mind control to bribe.

It sounds a lot better.
    I would make it a percentage so the person your bribing isn't just forced onto the bad guy team.