Grenadier balancing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ^Dee^, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

there will always be nay sayers.. its kind of hard to get everyone to agree with somthing.. especially since alot of people never use the gren class(yet they think they know all about it).. and yesturday we had half the team rifleman.. i think it was on isle(use to be only inf maps that have rifleman)

The new models make the mowtar alot slower so you cant get as many shots off at a barracks like you could before.. yesturday NF put a barracks litterally near our main base and 5 grens couldnt kill it because they had engys repairing it and rifles mowing us down..

the tricky thing with the rockets is if they arnt guided they can travel a very far distance so with that change i mention you wouldnt be able to reload for along time.. and im pretty sure it reloads if you let go of the mouse when its being guided.. so can you make it not reload untill only the guided missles hit? with the new BE RPG you cant see shit when its being reloaded

RPGs need another speed boost too.. lets just see what its like

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Mortar is definately one hit kill.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It's good if there are more riflemen. That was the point of adding sticky nades, to get more riflemen on large maps instead of there being none.

It sounds like you couldn't take down their barracks because they were using team work of different classes working together. I'd say that played out exactly how we want it to. You probably should have gotten some rifleman or scout support to help you take down the enemy riflemen.

It's designed to stop guiding when you let go of the mouse button. What's the problem?

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yes, if it's a direct hit it's a one hit kill. If it's an inch from the player, it's not a one hit kill. You're either not dodging or incredibly unlucky if a grenadier manages to hit you directly with a mortar. Every class has access to the upgraded health skill, and riflemen have extra armor. You should use those if mortars are hurting you too much.

I think the complaints about the mortar vs infantry are from engineers. Engineers are not supposed to take down grenadiers. Riflemen are designed for that, and do a very good job at it.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

The problem is that it's usually at a really weird angle. :|

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

ok i guess there is no issue here with the gren.. i will just be a rifleman from now on

7. ^Dee^

It's any class really. It's just too easy to snapshoot with a mortar that you're dead before you can get enough shots that actually hit into the grenadier and that's even with the rifleman. Even if you do manage to kill them while your prone and staring at the corner they come from, chances are, they've already fired and you're about to die.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well prone is definitely not the way to fight a grenadier. You're going to die if you're prone because you can't move, and you're making yourself a wide target for a mortar because it's coming down on you. The way to fight a grenadier is to crouch and shoot them before they shoot the mortar. When the mortar is arcing towards you, you dodge.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

The only time it is really a problem is in close quarter battles, which mainly happens on District and UrbanChaos. I rarely see loads of mortar kills on classic maps, except maybe crossroads. And weapon balancing should not be based on District.

10. ^Dee^

You missed the point u.u Try playing as rifleman against grenadier on any type of map and you'll probably see what's wrong with it :P

11. Simon

Simon Banned

Are you kidding? crouch click dead

12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

all i know for sure is two things:

1. The RPG is useless for it's intended job, anti-tank, at anything further then 10 meters for most players. If you're good with it, then make that 20 or 30 meters. The mortar is good for at least twice that distance, against anything that moves. But for the most part, RPG rounds are exceedingly difficult to use effectively at range.

2. The mortar is an effective anti-infantry weapon against any class at less then 30 meters, one near-hit followed by a pistol clip (actually, only one or two shots) will do the job.

I think that EVERYONE can agree on these two issues, save for one or two loonies :p The problem is clear, then: the RPG needs to be changed so it can hit a moving target, and the mortar needs to be changed so it can not. Both of these changes need to make sure that the grenadier is still effective and not nerfed to the point of uselessness.

RPG is only good point blank, and now, I assume, you can use a rifleman if you're going to engage point-blank. (I assume because i haven't messed around with the stickies, sorry.)

I would like to know the damage per second values for both weapons. Anyone have em?

13. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

How about a minimum angle that mortars can be shot? You need to plant the bottom into the ground, as firing directly forward will shoot it out of your hands. Hitting distant targets with the mortar is more difficult than blasting infantry 10 feet away, so that solves part of it.

As for RPGs, a potential solution could be to add an OPTION to rocket launcher choice. Grenadiers can have a choice between standard rockets or heatseeking rockets. The heatseekers would also be faster, but maybe no splash damage and way less damaging to buildings? Or the difference could be in amount of ammo.

14. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

lets keep it simple here. That's a good solution but VERY ambitious and would probably take a lot of work. A simpler one is something dee or dubie originally proposed.

I, for one, would like to see mortar damage upped and the crouch/fire time increased as per the original suggestions.

The RPG issue is more flexible-- higher power, speed, guiding ability, any of thsoe could be used. However, bear in mind the fact that rocket sniping will be affected by an increase in power.

The issue is even more relevant now that the BE have that huge-ass sight on their RPGs, making the damn things even HARDER to use.

Also, LOL. I'll believe THAT when I see it, man ;) :p You know you could never resist the siren song of the mowtar fire.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  15. ^Dee^

I thought the BE RPG was easier to use with the new sites :P

16. Goose

Goose Member

Can we attempt to agree on something people? How about a nerf on damage for the mortar on players and vehicles but not buildings; which can get a damage upgrade, and a speed and damage upgrade for rpgs against vehicles while nerfing players and buildings?

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

we've stated all the problems and solutions but the one person who needs to be persuaded is not.. there for end of discussion

18. Simon

Simon Banned

I like it how it is. Just make reload times all the same?

19. Drag

Drag Member

Well mortar 1 shot kills are possible, even as Rifleman that is supposed to be armored (especially against splash damage?) And no no no, the rifleman wasn't weakened, he was mint 100 health. But if that is debatable it's no big deal to test it. Will do sometimes.

Sure not every grenadier manages to hit the sweet spot but especially when you are very close to the grenadier he just sticks the mortar shell into your face and often enough survives. It's really a close range 1 shot no brainer and no team support weapon. (Yes I do played a lot of grenadier the last RCs until sticky bombs, the first alternative)

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

I've hit people in their face with a mortar without them dying. Maybe they were rifleman with armor and 130 hp, i don't know, but some did survive it.

I'm totally against making it take even longer to fire the mortar. It annoys me enough already, having to wait for what seems to be an hour, in the meanwhile moving and jumping to avoid bullets coming from everywhere untill you can fire again.

The only problem i possibly see is the RPG being not effective enough against tanks, so should it become better the mortar should become less effective against tanks. But seeing how having to wait to fire annoys me a lot already i'd much rather have the mortar damage against tanks decreased.

But in general i think the grenadier is fine. It's not like i never use the rpg, just not that often, and maybe it's not even that bad because i really hate things like rocketsniping.