Grenadier balancing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ^Dee^, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I don't get the reason why you shouldn't be able to fire in crouch before you have waited for 2 seconds.

You got crouch, your mortar is set, FIRE. Why you have to wait there for two seconds when everything is set already?

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

because it makes for shit gameplay.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

snapshotting is the problem. Other than that I think grenadier is fine, but snapshotting is bad sometimes.

2 seconds is far far too long in combat terms. .5 second would be fine in my opinion.

you could also give the mortar bigger AOE if it was like this i guess, and better damage vs everything.

4. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

To be honest I see nothing wrong with the mortar, It's really easy to dodge on foot, especially in areas with alot of flat areas (the trick is not to stand still, crouch or go prone when going against a gren with a mortar, & just wait until he either runs out of mortar ammo, or pulls out his pistol). Though I do agree it should do less damage to vehicles but thats about it.

5. Mr. Weedy

Yeah. I agree with Pope.

The delay just annoys me a lot.

There used to be like a second delay on mortar or something like that and BOY it annoied me so damn much.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

S you're saying you can handle the impact of a mortar firing without even crouching?

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

He's saying you won't get hit by the mortar if you're moving. ;) Going prone in front of a gren is the worst thing you can do.

8. Mr. Weedy

Are you asking me?

I meant that when you are already in the crouch position in the game why you still have to wait for a second or two until you are able to fire the mortar?

It is same thing if you have to go to a some sort of position before you can do something and you are already in that position yet you have to wait some amount of time before you are allowed to do your thing.

9. Goose

Goose Member

I've been saying this all along. Being a mortar sniper from like 1.01 when you could jump crouch and still shoot. The damage must be tweaked on the mortar. I thought a few patches ago they nerfed rocket damage to buildings making the mortar the weapon of choice for both tanks and vehicles. This means you really dont have enough firepower to attack a base without the help of a engineer.
    This is all that needs to be done.
    1) A nerf to grenadiers ability to kill infantry anyway possible. They are not made to kill infantry they are made for buildings and tanks, why should they get the ability to 1 shot kill infantry? A delayed crouch and shoot wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't mind seeing like a 1.5 second to 2 second delay from crouching to being able to fire.
    To Weedy: The reason everything is set and you still have to wait a few seconds is. How the hell can you aim a mortar and position it without it being on a flat surface to get the right distance scaled. Just because you have the cross hair up before you can even shoot shouldn't give you the ability to guesstimate your shot. If you have seen videos of fast shooting mortar companies it still takes a few seconds to scale the distance, load it and fire. Balance sake mainly, but how the hell do you run out with a mortar set it in position and fire the second you crouch. It honestly looks retarded and poorly animated when you see grenadiers use mortars like that.
    Mortar: Weaken damage against Infrantry and vehicles, upgrade damage against buildings.
    RPG: Weaken damage against buildings (if it still isn't nerfed) and up the speed/damage to tanks. This will make rpgs a primary weapon for tanks, and help limit rocket sniping if they do shit for damage.

10. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

I find I usually have to crouch for 1/2 a second or so anyway, before I can fire - ping I guess :p

11. Mr. Weedy

That is the case in real life.

But in game people just wonder why they can't shoot the mortar even they are crouching, they know where to shoot and everything is set.

No animation = everything ready => with delay, why I can't shoot?

I believe asking questions like "Why I have to wait and why I can't shoot my mortar earlier?" start to appear when the delay for mortar gets in again.

And mortar is only one shot kill weapon when someone like Dubee is using it. I think every case when someone has used mortar against infantry and they have hit right next to the enemy player which they were shooting, they didn't get a kill but the player lost a lot of his health.

It is only one shot kill when you hit 100% on player. Same with scout's rifle. You have to hit 100% perfectly to the head before you get one shot kill.

And in my opinion that kind of explosion which rips through tanks' armoring should do significant damage to any infantry person who's get that kind of explosion next to themselves.

It doesn't make much sense when a weapon can take down several inches of thick steel armoring, or whatever armor Empires' vehicles are using, but that same weapon can't penetrate few millimeters of skin of a human.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Kreno has said multiple times that Empires isn't all about realism.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I have an idea, might not be very good but...how about whenever you move with the mortar it drains stamina just like sprinting? I mean, it doesn't stop quick shots but would nerf...weel i'm not sure but it would decrease general ease of use of mortar anyway.

14. Melee

Melee Member

Ive lost count the number of times ive seen Grenadiers chasing tanks, yes chasing Tanks accross a map , lol.
    Untill tanks get decent armour they are fodder for grens so stamina drain seems a good trade off.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i hate people bitching about grenadiers beating tanks. it's like bitching about rock beating scissors.

16. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It wouldn't. The killing shot will have already been fired :P

17. Drag

Drag Member

Lowering the damage against infantry seems to be the most pressing matter? At least lower it to 99 dmg to get rid of instant mortar kills? Or to a point where it doesn't kill an (armored) Rifleman.

18. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

From my experience the mortar is only an instant kill if it hits dead on (In which case you forgot to move :p ), if it lands next to you, you just lose some heath, it's really less than what scout does now with his two shots/you're dead deal (which in my opinion is fifty billion times more annoying than the mortar).

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

aight.. the gren has seem to lost its place on the battle field with the new stickys.. grens use to be quick mobile killing machines but with the new models they need to become sluggish power houses

its like do you want to kill tanks and inf? go rifle.. the reason you guys dont get killed by sticky nades is because the idiots are not using the correct tactics.. they are running around like headless chickens try to stick them :rolleyes:

to me the pressing matter is

the mowtar needs to be better agianst buildings..(a few grens should be able to kill a foward barracks even with engys in it repairing)

i think its fine agianst inf.. hell yesturday when I played I made more people fly then dead.. and the rockets need the same change that the mowtar got a while back.. alot of people have been saying that it reloads while its being guided.. so make it only reload after the shell hits

20. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I'm against changing anything about the grenadier unless everyone can agree on a problem.

I hear some people saying mortar is a one hit kill, but that's not true unless the player is already weakened. Some are saying the mortar is weak against buildings. The buildings were given more armor so that they couldn't be taken down as quickly by a lone person. I hear some saying the sticky nades have made grenadiers less important, but that's not true because people rarely get close enough to use a sticky nade. There are also guaranteed to be more grenadiers on a classic map than riflemen.

The only issue I hear that might have some weight to it is that RPGs could maybe use a buffing of some sort. Other than that, it's all just speculation and differing viewpoints, and I'm not going to change anything on that alone.