f1r3's art

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Metruption

Metruption Member

I like the floor pattern of octagons

2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I can't fully release it yet. The walls at the ends of the barracks are still old materials. I was also planning to rather release it as a full package or at least faction wise.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the textures lack details and shadows. i mean all this ambient occlusion is part of the lighting model and not the texture is a noble idea, but it makes the textures look bland, flat and like spartacus said sterile.
    it kinda works for the floor, maybe because noone expects shadows there, but for the walls, and especially the ceiling it just looks off.

maybe, even if its against all your believes, if youd only add a little bit?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Hmmm, perhaps a parallax map? Pretty sure we had parallax added awhile ago and did some maps on it and then sat on it and did nothing with it. It has occlusion shadows and isn't very expensive so we shouldnt have issues with resource hogging on newer generation cards. Hell we could even do a pseudo fur shader effect on the grass with the right height maps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. complete_

complete_ lamer

paralax was removed. it was very bad and ruined fps

6. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I remember parallax. We should probably do that for vr.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Does anyone have fps issues anymore?

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I actually thought there was an elusive code bug coupled with it that was making it lag a whole lot more than it should have. At least, that was the sense I got from the dev explanations.

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I will keep that in mind, but I won't change it right now. The way I made the materials now draws a lot of their details from lighting and thus seeing them in motion. So what I will do is to finish up the Imperial materials, then give you guys another download. If you still think by then, that they need more details, I can still add those. I'd just like to keep BE really clean and sterile, with a lot of reflecting surfaces, while NF will be a lot more dirty and rusty, to get some contrast into this.

Concerning Parallax Occlusion, I don't need to change anything on my end to support this. The maps needed for it are already one of the core components in my workflow.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I disabled the rimlighting for testing, since it was something I enabled before I was able to get the cubemaps working. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure what it did but it looks really good now.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Looks like there's more depth to the floor, less of a flat "sterile" look I guess.

So yeah it seems better.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Spartacus approves.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It looks great.

Get that shit in-game and see if anyone even notices. I doubt too many people will notice the floor even if it looks nice.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's a ton better, Firewarrior. The main problem before wasn't your textures just how they all meshed together, particularly with how the bunks sat on the floor. Now they blend in much much better, and the whole scene looks great :)

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah I figured without a model wide mask for the rimlighting, it looks really weird on concave meshes. Because it effectively reflects light where it shouldn't. Removing it and basing the lighting just simply off reflections seem to work really well.

But still I can imagine using rimlighting for convex meshes. Specifically infantry and vehicle models. That could help to achieve a TF2 like effect to make them more visible against certain backgrounds. On the other hand I am not sure that is actually a thing we want to achieve.

16. Catface

Catface Member

Really awesome looking. ^^

Also, ever noticed how the interior walls look like they are floating above the floor? It's less of a problem here, but maybe a "base" could be made for the interior walls (or a texture could be used as an outline).

Anyway, I would love seeing this in game.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

As I said, I'm not responsible for the model I might have a look into that later, but I doubt it in the current state.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

from the existing model, there is geometry in the center of the floor, so, since empire's textures are relatively low res, if you unwrap the floor anew - its just a handful of tris - you could create 2 unique textures for the floor.
    but then, its 2 huge textures youd need and its only for a single building - at least its one always present - still sounds like a waste.

idk, are there non-triangulated versions?