eternal silence this saturday

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ^Dee^, Sep 20, 2006.

1. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

yea, i saw. but the page froze for me when i tried to change the speed boost, it wouldnt take any input, and my mouse disaappeared.

Its decent. I mostly use the MG, for that very reason, to unload. The flamethrower has an unfair advantage, because it is better than using a grenade launcher.

I might play some more after a patch or something, but for now, im gonna wait for 1.08 here.

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Under extreme lag from the lack of a decent graphics card I tested the game in single player, and I found setting up a turret to shoot at things very amusing.

3. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

You get 10 points for mentioning Colony Wars.

But yeah, lots of potential, it just lags like crazy, which is pretty much the same boat Empires was in at first release. Hopefully they'll follow suit and get that worked out. Could be a fun mod.

And am I the only one ever who's played Starwars Battlefront? The mod is essentially the exact same game.

4. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I own both SW: BattleFront games Jkun, & you're right the combat is basically the same. I also noticed that the characters in ES also have that "zombie eye" thing going on as well. Also I don't get why I had to install the Source SDK Base to play the game.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It's going to be the norm for all source mods I believe.

6. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

It's nice, but not "omgs holy crap thats just kickass" :P

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I played with extreme lag, but I died play for half an hour, and aside of the setting up of turrets I didn't notice much new.

8. john_sheu

john_sheu Member

:(

... whoops

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Oh hello there. What brings you to these neck of the woods? Are you happy with how your release is going? I haven't tried it myself yet.

10. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

And so the Eternal Empires war begins. :p

11. Chahk

Chahk Member

I've tried it. Pretty fun once you set up your controls properly :)

Things I disliked:
    * Throttle of the joystick is tied to soldier movement. It can be somewhat disorienting if you leave it in any position other than exact middle after a dogfight.
    * The bug where the game will not let you respawn. Switching teams doesn't help, and the olny way to resolve it is to rejoin the server.
    * Flamethrower is highly overpowered, especially the secondary fire which sets the entire area on fire.
    * Separate respawn timers for each spawn point. Don't get the point of this feature.
    * The ship's HUD is laid out poorly. The ammo counter is unnecessarily huge and overbearing, while important info like hull strength is tiny and barely noticable. The hit indicators are weak and give you very little feeling that you are actually under attack. Perhaps some flashing light or shaking would help.
    * The "selected spawnpoint" indicator could be changed to something more obvious than just blinking.
    * Lag and rubberbanding it causes.

Things I really liked (besides the obvious "omg spaceships!!111!1eleven"):
    * On-screen tips regarding various functions you can perform.
    * Feedback about your selected class and spawn point location.
    * The pleasant ship's computer voice greeting you when you get in :)

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I tried it... Didn't like it... Unfourtently unlike the lagagedon Empires first release, I dont see as much future or potential in this mod, personaly I was expecting alot higher from this mod... Infantry combat seems generic as well as the "Dogfights"

The ship's layouts are fairly straight foward, and overley simple (So you wont see any good and memrable combat inside the ship) But fine, that is just a mapping issue, and could be vastly imrpoved with new maps

Overall this game feels just too generic, sure it may be the standard sounds of lasers hitting metal sounding like bullets, sure it may be the huge lag; but afterall Empires lagged to death as well...

This game is far from enjoyable right now, instead of a public release I would call this a pre alpha test... not even a beta...

If this game gets polished to hell over the course of time, then sure it will be quite unique, but for now i rate it

Generic, not worthy of playing at current state...

13. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

I agree with every bit of that, but I also feel that it all applied to the first couple of releases of Empires. I stuck around because I knew the potential was there, and I was rewarded. I have the exact same expectations for Eternal Silence.

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I just got done with a couple rounds, and I had a blast. Newtonian controls FTW!

After an initial period of frustration (I was on the NGM team, and the other eight or nine members of the team were just dicking around with the flamethrower in the landing bay instead of helping me), I popped on some Homeworld music and gave it another shot, this time on the UTF team. It went much better, and eventually a person with a mic joined, so I pulled mine out and we initiated pilot banter. The team was coordinated and skilled, and we pulled a win by blowing the shit out of their frigate. AWSM.

I didn't run into too much lag at all. Collisions while in the fighters would make it cry, but as long as you were trying not to crash into things, it was fine. The landing needs a bit more work, as well as the non-ship combat, but that's just spit and polish.

Really, though, some of us should get together and be wingmen for a round or two. Anybody here have some time to kill in the next few hours?

15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

... It's 5 in the morning here. I'm going to bed :)

16. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Nuuuuu! Joooin ussssss..... *hisss*

Well, me. It's just me right now.

Alllll alooone.

17. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Landing is a bitch, here's the proof
    [​IMG]

18. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

how is landing in empires going to compare?

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Landing is going to be auto piloted.

20. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I think it could be a great mod with some polish, and some extra maps and ships, plus gameplay tweaks... oh god...