eternal silence this saturday

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ^Dee^, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

Just seems weird to me. I've been bouncing around between Wesnoth, Advance Wars, Empires and Counter-Strike the past couple of months. Not to mention whatever random PC game I happen to be torrenting at the time.

But yeah, woo~. Mod comes out tommorrow!

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Newsflash: internetconnections and electricity still costs money.

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Late night news: Computer parts aren't.

4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Blogosphere update at 2:30 in the morning: If you can run gm_construct, I'm convinced that you could ratchet down your settings low enough to get at least some of Eternal Silence's maps to run. I mean, they're space. There's some rocks, and some ship models, and space.

5. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

The more mods the better, in my opinion. They all have different gameplay elements, so I think each mod will find a niche.

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

It was mentioned in todays Steam News.
    [​IMG]

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I'm just downloading it(:P Seems to be coming at healthy 58kBps rate). Some of you guys might have gotten a head start since it's 7.50am here and sadly I had to sleep for a while. :D

8. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

i just noticed, dling now.

and for gawds sake, wereaser, GET A BETTER CONNECTION!! :P
    steal it from the nearest town.

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:D You can't get a better one in here. :D I'm currently in the middle of nowhere. Forests and a lake no matter how I turn my head aroun(well there's the sky and the ground too). Unlimited 512/512kbps isn't that bad. :) You do know the difference between b and B, don't you?

10. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

sry, i mistook you for naihrbet, my bad.

yea, im getting 60kb/s

11. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

As expected it lags like crazy.

12. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

the main things ive noticed:
    crazy lag
    INVERTED SHIP CONTROLS!!!! NOOOO

but it looks like it could be pretty fun with some sprucing up and some polish.

13. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

I liked it. I just finished playing with a friend, we had a blast dogfighting and capturing the enemy sub systems (Well, we were attempting to :o).

Very smooth, didn't lag badly for a first version (Surprizingly). They have kinks to work out, but all in all, an enjoyable game.

14. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

ugh, why do all sourcemods lag like pewp first time out :(

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

But they promised they wouldn't pull an Empires!!

16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Lags like a son of a biatch whenever there's someone in space, if everyone is indoors it plays nicely... Thus the results in the space combat are more determined by luck than skill. :) Oh and it's possible to end up going ping pong in the portal area and you can't shoot inside a ship even though you see everyone inside. :D You can't shoot even when you're inside the ship with your own ship... I think that sucks. :) Now I'd give it 4/10 for good concept. Also some guns don't seem to do any proper damage at all(smg), which also sucks. I suggest using pistol as a primary weapon when playing a hacker. Also these people have somekind of a twisted view of indoors combat as the carbine, which is supposed to be a short barreled assault rifle with full auto fire, fires only bursts. Indoors combat is all about using grenades and fullly automatic fire to clear rooms. No one conservers ammo in places where you simply don't have time to aim. You open the door a little, throw a grenade in, close the door and clean up with fully automatic fire. That's why M4 carbine is full-auto/semi-auto and it's big brother is burst/semi-auto.
    Also the turrets you've just destroyed pop back up after 3 seconds making killing them quite useless(it's easier to just fly past them with afterburner and storm the hangar than clean the defences down first).

Final score: 4/10
    Final words: Could've been a good mod with a bit more polish and perhaps another scenario. This mod is less playable at release than Empires was. This is mainly due to the fact that space combat needs to be smooth to be fun. Ground combat less.

As a final suggestion: Wait for the first patch before playing.

17. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

wasn't that incoming source?

---

Mod isn't bad. Flying is easy enough, feels fluid and simple.

dogfights remind me a bit of colony wars and a dumbd down x-wing v tie-fighter.

Infantry combat is a bit primative. Little more than a point and click affair. Doesn't seem as though there's a penalty for moving or full auto.

Attacking ships and stuff is a little too easy considering most of the enemy will be out in space or won't even know people have boarded since there's little notification.

---

lag is a bit of a pain inthe arse considering the precision needed in dogfights.

Server crashed once, I think due to me hacking something.

Kept getting an error about verifying ticket id or something. Had to delete clientregistry.blob to fix it.

---

All in all, it isn't a bad mod at all. Rough around the edges but it certainly shows promise.

EDIT: It also has that quick game factor where you can just load it up and jump straight into the action.

EDITEDIT: To grayclay, you can fully customise ship controls, including inverted axis and stuff.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  18. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Not only does it lag its rather unstable server wise. I guess what goes around comes around. But I liked their controls, they had a very advanced setup, I liked it too. The aircraft (spacecraft) were a bit arcadeish which is good, becuse I'd rather flying be fun rather than it being a difficult task.

19. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

Well, i played on a 16 player server...
    Almost no lag at all for me.
    The space fights are fun when you tweak the controlls(you can choose inverted or not), but infentery seems useless, since most action is in the damn hangar.
    Animations and players are way better then empires tho, and the release is much smaller.
    also, using the locking on target is useful(F).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  20. Vlade

Vlade Member

Downloading now..... Seems interesting o.0