Empires Summer Scrim League Game 3 - 27th June 21:00 BST/ 16:00 EDT/ 13:00 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 20, 2015.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Fit the plasma on a NF heavy, overheat the shit out of a target.
    If cannon is too heavy then use plasma mg.

Then salvo the fuck out of it.
    Plasma shouldn't really be a heavy hitting weapon.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

And if you treat it as a support weapon, no one ever researches or uses it. That's my problem with it.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Disallow doubling weapons on heavies, so you have to get at least two to properly use them?

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Make a bio cannon and then tada, it provides a good alternative to bioml and then can't be "doubled" effectively.

Maybe that's not a "support" weapon, but it would have to "support" some kind of other ml on heavies or else the tank would suck.

5. Reznov

Reznov Member

How about plasma CN actually inflicting a status which reduces your max speed to ~50-75% instead of heating up the target?

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

How about overheating in general, instead of stopping a tank completely, reduced max speed to 75%

7. BigTeef

I will, and will educate others on the matter.
    I will write a book on plasma if I must.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's kinda interesting, we never really talked about having different status effects. It's all been about heat, persistent damage, or regular damage.

To be fair, tank combat would still be a lot more interesting if we added a set of damage systems. So you could lose functionality over a certain part if it was heavily damaged, and would need to return to a repair pad (not just engy repair) to get it fixed.

I'm not sure if it's codeable though.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I suck at extrapolating things right now, but food for thought. Warframe applies these effects:

Reduced damage
    Health drain
    Short stun/knockback

Toxin health drain
    Burn damage and panic
    Slowdown
    Stun/chain attack

Knockdown
    Armor reduction
    AOE toxin
    Reduced shields
    Reduced accuracy, confusion
    Reduced max health

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think the easiest thing that could be done is a reduction is splash and a resist to buildings (30-50%). That would honestly do a world of good.

Outside of that, the only other thing I can think of is increasing the self-heat by 10-20% so you hit that threshold in which you need more than 1 tank to permaoverheat an enemy tank. A lot of the time this is worked out (balancewise) with the assumption the enemy has 0 heat to start with, but 9/10 times the enemy is using weapons, especially ones like nukes, which means it completely counters that weapon and means the enemy tanks can literally only use biodiesel which is kind of lame.

But yeah, Candles is right, heat to target in general is lame. He's also right about support weapons in the sense that absolutely no-one will ever use them, so it's pointless to try working them in.

11. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Maybe i will get in the scrim this time like scrim #1 and not like scrim #2.

12. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I like Reznov's idea to make plasma cannons just slow down enemy vehicles without overheating them.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

the way empires handles overheating is just really bad, there's very littlevisual/audio cues too. I think that the way arcady mech games (armored core springs to mind) would be better.

basically once you overheat you get some flashing and some alarms go off, then you have some brief pause where the speed of the vehicle is slow and you cannot fire, after a few seconds there is a "Purge" of heat and the meter rapidly drops back to 0, usually accompanied by a flash of steam. Once the meter is reset you get backup to speed and can fire again.

I know this is probably not possible with the current code, but I just wanted to throw it out there. You then have values for that in the engine/radiator so research could actually influence max heat capacoty, purge delay, purge speed, etc.

There is probably alot of good stuff in those kinds of games that would apply directly to vehicle customisation.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If you weren't given a place then I need to be informed. I can't deal with issues like this if people don't communicate with me.

15. Z100000M

If anything id like a visual cue for the enemy to know someones overheated.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah I didn't know you were able to play. Everyone is suppose to get a chance to play at least one round. (I'm super sorry assquatch I won't let that ever happen again).

Just tell me you want to play but can't get in. I thought we had all the players we were gonna get due to no one saying anything.

17. Z100000M

Just get a list of people who tried to get in the matches before but didnt get in and put them on some sort of priority.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Already have one, though I should probably put it in the steam group.

Ah I'm reminded that there's already support for tanks to have a reduced throttle for over heat state, or even approaching overheat state. What it means is that it can be made so you can still move, but you'll have trouble accelerating. This is different then a stall, you can still move, but it does mean that if you are already moving at max speed you won't really lose much speed unless you turn and you might encounter some trouble getting up a hill if you are slow/are stopped. This really won't reduce max speed, but if the values are right tanks will have trouble getting away but still be able to actually move to at least get in a better defensive position, unlike now where they are pretty much dead.

Now I'm wondering if you did implement such a thing if you could make bio diesel get a acceleration boost. I'm gonna test that out, sounds fun.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  19. BigTeef

Just split the extras between the two squads, so we don't have to leave people out for balancing reasons.
    Far as I know, we haven't let left anyone out in Xray.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This defeats the purpose of the exercise.