Empires Summer Scrim League Game 3 - 27th June 21:00 BST/ 16:00 EDT/ 13:00 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 20, 2015.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Heat is nice and all, but you don't land all the shots you fire, so there's not that much heat being delivered.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Considering it's be heavies that really get mileage out of it, if the enemy tank is at 80% heat the be heavy can instantly cause it to overheat. You don't have to land all the shots, just enough at the right time.

Even then, it adds up. That's the big deal, heat adds up even if it's a small amount. See std ml spam for example.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Can but doesn't always.

Also adding up isn't bad now, is it?

Then again what do I know, I don't think I played with the current plasma.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Too late, already have shit piling up in the SVN. We've got the same problem that we used to have.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Ugh, you all had a conversation about plasma without me while I was at work 3:

So here's my view on plasma: HTT sucks. It sucks to fight against. It's one of the few things in the game that I would say actually causes a net negative enjoyment of the game. HE, Bio, ER, everything else might not be fun to fight against, but things with HTT just suck to have to fight against.

It's also hell to balance. Plasma cannon is a primary weapon. It isn't a secondary weapon and shouldn't be treated as such. When you give it HTT, you have to lower the other statistics to compensate, mainly damage. So now it's a primary weapon with the damage output of a secondary weapon. Without the damage, all that means is you take forever to kill an enemy that can't do shit against you. Wow, look at all the fun I'm having with a weapon that literally doesn't nothing but makes the game stalemate harder than anything else. Plasma in a chokepoint map is a nightmare because it doesn't slow just one team down, it slows the team using it down too. In terms of damage/heat, it was literally the least efficient weapon in the game, at a whopping 2.75 (For comparison purposes, Nukes have a 4, HE has a 5.4 and Rails has a 7.1)

Plasma cannon was a primary weapon that did piss damage, was treated as a support weapon, and on top of that only served to slow the game down. I find it hard to believe how many people tell me that they like HTT and in the same breath, tell me how they like Empires being fast paced. HTT is the opposite of fast paced.

I also like how a lot of people complained about how useful plasma was and how it shouldn't've had it's HTT removed because it's a great weapon when used with a coordinated team. In the past 3.5 years of playing this game, not once did I ever see anyone research it for serious use, and it never got used in a scrim or a pug, the places where I you'd see a coordinated team nowadays. So, I tried to make it more useful so it might get used more often, by making it HE + 1. I thought it worked out pretty well, not many people shared my view.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'll vouch for the 2 years before you played that it never got researched either except as a way to humiliate a team during the comm chase.

7. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Towards the end of pickled_heretic's time in Empires Mod, plasma cannon heavies were found OP as fuck and then it was nerfed.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The Bio-plasma combo seemed to be the most broken at the time because the cooling rate meant you could always fire it.

9. ImSpartacus

This man be saucy.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Stay salty.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

This whole thread took a turn to unhealthy.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Nah I meant Spartacus.

You know we love Candles.

Plasma is gud, but not hellafuckingholymotherofcakeOP.

13. Z100000M

Oh i know, i was just poking fun of the weird choice of words being used.

14. Reznov

Reznov Member

Can't we remove plasma's splash so HE CN isn't completely useless?

ER CN = Long range DPS
    Plasma CN = Close range DPS + HTT
    HE CN = Close range DPS + AOE

15. Z100000M

Youd probably need to change its particle so its not longer a giant burst of blue to signify that, not that its much of a problem.

Im not terribly opposed to that.

16. 101010

101010 Member

1 idea would be remove the HTT of plasma and make it burn armor.
    Make it most OP against regenerative and compo.
    Kind of like bio but different. Make it have little effect on tanks hull but good for stripping plates.

17. ImSpartacus

He cannon has a pretty massive splash compared to plasma the last time I checked. I want to say it's basically like std cannon.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

But will people actually use it?

I have no issues with diversity in weapons and armor. But diversity doesn't matter if no one uses it. People always gives suggestions about how to make certain weapons more unique or how to spread the research out more, but most of the suggestions would result in either no one getting it or people getting it all the time, which are equally bad outcomes.

Standard is 300, Plasma is 350, HE is 450. I gave plasma a bit of an increase in radius when I nudged it towards being 3-slot HE.

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The only thing I would do with the weapon is make it cause the same amount of damage as a standard cannon, and keep the HTT ratio the same.

It's supposed to be a support weapon, I always wanted it to be a weapon you fit on a heavy on one cannon slot, and the other cannon be for damage. Overheat target, then focus fire a side with my other weapon.

20. ImSpartacus

Yeah, it's a shame that we don't have any good cannons that fit that kind of support role.

Something like bioml is always op, but having two of them doesn't really help you. So that favors be heavies which can only fit one ml anyway.

Nf doesn't have a similar cannon that fits that kind of "single weapon" role. All of the cannons get better when you have two of them.