Empires Summer Scrim League Game 3 - 27th June 21:00 BST/ 16:00 EDT/ 13:00 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's interesting. Did we ever get a map designed where instead of fall damage being nerfed, mappers put water at points where you might try to jump down? Shouldn't that kind of be the way instead?

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Forest is a great map and Spartacus is about right with it. I intend to have it played at some point.

Arid is super underplayed because it just doesn't play out particularly well in pubs, simply because you can't place raxes close to the centre but if you use APCs, people tend to steal them. In a scrim scenario though, people may be more disciplined and I think it could actually be really interesting. If we get like 6 maps into this league and the interest to continue is still there, I might give Arid a try.

3. Nuc

Nuc Banned

Yeah Arid isn't the best example, it's a difficult map, but others like plunge, forest, research, and names I forgot, it would sure be interesting.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm actually somewhat interested in how a scrim on Research might go.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

quickly

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Want to scrim on manticore. The idea of a super open map for infantry but not vehicles sounds neat.

7. Trickster

ehhh I don't really like the idea of that map. To be honest I don't like that map in general because the only way vehicles get across is through that shitty bridge so I expect some shitty stalemate with people covering the canal from both sides and the bridge being a clusterfuck that vehicles can't drive through. If there were 2 more vehicle bridges it would be a different map. I can't remember if vehicles can get in through the canal but any good team should make sure they don't. Eventually arty will come out and the game will be won like that, but it just doesn't seem fun to me.

It's kind of like Homeland. Whereas I love Homeland as a map, I don't actually think it would play out that well in a scrim unless we had a lower playercount. I know it was the final match in the 2009 pugs but the whole league was in its death's throes at that point so I don't know how much of an indicator that is, but basically it's either a stalemate or a steamroll, there's very little room for push and pull because scrim teams don't leave entire passages open for you to drive through like they do in pub servers.

8. Z100000M

Then make two scrim matches in a week.
    One for giant clusterfucks and another for those 14v14's or whatever.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh I thought they could push up through the canals on both sides, my mistake. It is a smaller map too, wouldn't work at a big pop.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Honestly I think once a week is already pretty often, maybe a weekend game would work, but only if we were on a bi-weekly schedule.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  11. Z100000M

Well i just dont want to run into yet another player that gets booted from the one game we have a week (since the scrim apparently killed the rest somehow)

12. Trickster

Like, there might be ramps, I can't remember, but with dropping into the canal I just see that becoming a killzone. I know for certain there's only 1 bridge from high-ground to high-ground.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

With any more than 11v11 it would be real hard to avoid a stale mate - all those easily accessible rooftops make it a real good place to defend.

There is lots of infantry goodness there, so it could be a fun run-off map.

14. Metruption

Metruption Member

I should be able to make it this time

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i know its none of my business as im not going to participate, but theres more then one way to cross the canal in a vehicle - there at least is a version of manticore with 3 crossings, idk if its the latest though.
    my issue with manticore would be rooftops aswell though. its easy to just run by an enemy - even though theres preplaced cams in some newer version.
    also its for more players then you make it sound, its just no map which favors vehicles. its a quite large map actually, wonder that the bridge gets so much attention (not that it wouldnt need walls)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, it's to easy to snipe bases from safe elevated positions.

When you have enough players to protect the snipers, then I bet it would be challenging to keep buildings up and therefore it would end quickly.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

hopefully this scrim has proved to people that only noobs (spike, lawliet) get extended range instead of plasma

18. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

In the past this post would have been satire

19. Nuc

Nuc Banned

I take it you don't know that they agreed to ban plasma because it's unbalanced.

20. Trickster

I wasn't aware of this but really good on the guys who managed to agree on this, it makes for far better games.