Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

see... thats a good idea. Then the enemy has a chance to take it out too instead of a moving target. I would suggest that a nuke silo is instantly viewable on personal radars within a certain range tho. I mean... sure modern silos are nearly undetectable but with these two factions the shit is bound to be crappy low tech versions of a nuke which leak radiation or some such.

ps... hell I would love it if you actually HAD to build the three nuke sections in the VF and drive them to the silo. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

My idea was Nuke bombs that had to be stored until used and could stolen by the other team.

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

If the enemy team has nukes in their base, why cart it all the way back to your base? Just blow them up right there! :D

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, nuke tanks are kinda lame. In my opinion, all 3-slot weapons are a little half-baked. If I were to remake Empires, I would stop at 2-slot.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i also think that it is a good idea. id make the commander an ordinary player* and his death not affect the outcome of the game (he just cant do command stuff for as long as he is dead), this should remove any uprising boredom as he can simply go and blow stuff up. also in smaller games its gonna be less of a drag to comm ...

also give squadleaders "partial commander powers"** and everyone access to command view (instead of a minimap)

* infact make it a seperate supportive class (i know its classless ATM)
    ** let them drop buildings, but they wont build like from the comm, but send a request to the commander player.

6. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

So last night I got the textured raven in unity. It's mind numbingly easy to get things into the engine. The how to even suggests just saving the .max files in the dir for the engine to pull from. I'll upload it to liberal when I get home from work for him to code fighters with.

I finished my mockup for the aircraft carrier HUD but it looks ugly. Anyone good with illustrator and can make pretty HUDs? I'm planning on fixing the nose of the NF carrier and then get it ready to go in game. Been thinking about different options for corridors and how easy it'll be to make LODs. More LODs mean prettier models.

Liberal, how are we handling tank turrets? The NF Beast is low poly and ready to go in game with a holder texture. Do you want the turret and barrel separate like in Empires? If we are going to have modular weapons then I think they would have to be separate

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

7. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Hey Dom was this the correct shader you wanted to use for the models? I used the bump specular.

Also there is an issue with the texture on the tale.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Yeah. The UV needs to be tweaked and it needs to be rebaked. I stopped working on it after Krenzo moved onto other weapons. Looks pretty good otherwise don't you think?

I'm working on the NF submarine right now. Prolly have a render tomorrow and then I'll get the Beast in game.

How is your progress coming?

9. ImSpartacus

How much are you guys going to charge for this game? It looks like you both have put in quite a few man-hours.

10. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I had not planned on charging anything for it at the moment, this is just a prototype, also I believe Kylegar owns the right.

11. ImSpartacus

Well if you do charge, use the Minecraft model and over a steep discount for those you jump in early. Those Minecraft people are self-funded, so they obviously did something right. Good luck!

12. flasche

how big are things going to be? players, tanks, buildings, ships, whatever, ...
    whats a units height, how far/high can it jump, what slopes can vehicles climb, ...
    what are the rules for building placement?
    will there be resources and how many types?
    how to get the needed game entities?

its just, im playing around with various terrain generators ...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  13. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Erm, I am pretty sure Krenzo has the rights to Empires. I don't think we'll be charging for this anytime soon.

NF Submarine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I kinda like "WarRock" Online for a while. Variety of Tanks, Aircraft, Helicopters, Ships, and Boats. I wish they included some RTS elements into WarRock.

Seems nice. Keep up the good work.

15. Angry

Angry Junior Member

That's not a carrier Don, it's a Amphibious Assault ship. Which is like a carrier, cept with marines.

My post about LHD's:

Also why are all your ships cut in half?

16. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

maybe he is lazy and wants them to be symetric?

Model a Nimitz-class Carrier plogz, DC had one in 2003 :|ove:

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Krenzo owns all the rights, I just take credit for not letting empires die after krenzo left :P

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Actually he doesn't. According to US copyright law work done by group is owned by the group unless formally agreed otherwise. I'm not sure which one of these applies:

But even ignoring exact assignment who did what on coding side it's unsustainable model if anyone wanted to turn Empires or piece of it into anything commercial. We'd probably have like 10 old devs wanting cash for this or that but not generating new value to be sold nor working on new code/assets that get sold. It gets easier when person for instance Megel decides to do something because he did half/significant amount of models and can decide what to do with them (or has LP/HP).

Krenzo did 99% of code so that part is easy, Megel probably 50% models and Duke 50% but we also have maps, textures, sounds, few music files and so on. Formally Krenzo can only pass rights to stuff whose author transferred rights with copyright agreement.

Not to get flamed by everyone: I'm only discussing ownership according to copyright.

19. flasche

not knowing the TOS for mods, id almost bet that gabe owns everything anyway in the end...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  20. Angry

Angry Junior Member

No, I mean cut in half vertical wise. Half the lower hull isn't there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See that red area? what's the waterline, it should, or is normally below the surface which is why you never see it. This is because the ship weights so much half of it sinks into the ocean.

I don't care about realism, but unless the water is going to be solid and the ship are going to glide around on it like glass the models are going to need to be taller. Plus they just look fucking retarded otherwise.