Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

thems some sexy videos... makes our current source engine look like children scribbles.

on the note of the carrier...
    Why make aircraft shaped launch exits?? ohh and what is the front two missing slots for? ohh and it doesn't seem to have enough of a bottom section... unless the water its going to float on is REALLY dense.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Yes that carrier looks nice. I had hoped to have some demo footage of what I'm working on, but I have to wait to upload it tomorrow.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

a catapult which lets a plane start from the lower starting thing, would squish the pilot. and dont tell me its vtols since you could never maneuver a vtol out of there while the ship is moving on the ocean ...

4. ViroMan

This is a game... You want realism? STFU!!

5. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

We had talked about launch tubes, but if we were to do that, we would also need some sort of way for fighters to repair, using like a runway would be one way, but I kinda wanted to to stick with a fast moving VTOL jet which could do vertical takeoff, and landings for repairs.

6. ViroMan

hey question... is the carrier player controlled like when driving a tank or what?

7. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

yes, one player will be able to control the carrier, it's speed will be very slow. also there will be an interior.

8. ViroMan

interior???!? like what size of a carrier are we talking about 2 lvls 3 lvls? omg getting excited.

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Yeah, they are launch tubes. However, the planes still land VTOL on the roof, see the pads? I thought launch tubes would be sweet and unique. I have not made the bottom to either of the two ships since these are more like 3d sketches and the bottoms take time.

I think the commander should be able to override the ship captain's orders to prevent suicidal n00bs.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What about if it was just like an infantry entering an apc, you fly near the spot with the plane, press land, then it kind of parents to the ship and vtols it's way down, or just kind of snaps to the spot. For simplicities sake, I don't think you'd want this game to get Microsoft flight simulator.

11. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

If you can't land VTOL somewhere on that deck you shouldnt be flying

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

And thus a thousand flying noobs accidentally sent a thousand ships and ten thousand players screaming into the depths of the sea, a thousand times over. :D

13. ViroMan

so... your saying the commander will be able to restrict individual players from doing something? like... This guy can't make tanks or planes.

I both like and dislike the idea at same time. Retard n00bs don't need thoes things, but a commander who is a tard or jackass(more of these as of late) can fuck people over.

14. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I wanted to try an approach suggested by Don which instead of a command vehicle, the team would start with a command post. Changing the game dynamics from rushing and ninjaing to the RTS standard of eliminating the enemy team's bases/and total team elimination, now this create a kind of slippery slope because you can no longer rush the CV to win a losing game. But I am still debating this. I am trying to prevent aircraft landing right on top of the CV and getting a cheap win, but also eliminate drawn out games.

15. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

No, I meant the flight deck is huge and would require only basic skills to labs on. Liberal, I had an idea about endgame, I'll email you.

16. ViroMan

hmmm, well I suppose it would be huge... if its got internal lvls. I guess your right... if you can't land a vtol on a 2-3 VF wide area you suck.

17. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Nukes? oh I was planning on adding that with a decentralized research tree, so if a commander wanted to, and saved up enough money he could have Nukes early in the game. I want Commander's to have access to all research so the round themselves are variable in that regard. example:

[​IMG]

It will look similar to this open grid pattern where you click on a hex, and then if you can afford the research your free to select that hex without other research restrictions. I like this form over the current because it allows some freedom to focus on a specific branch you decide you want your team to excel in.

18. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

You don't want to have nukes at the begining of the game. Even Empires baby nukes really cause a great deal of havoc. Everyone would rush nukes and the games would end in minutes.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

How about instead of nuke tanks, have nuke silos, like Rise of Nations, and it cost like 1000 res per nuke which comm can launch. Nuke tanks are too op, and ridiculous anyways, aaand you can only get silos after researching some other lategame prerequisite.

20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Thats basicly what I had suggested.