Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

not to be a bother but when will there be like a playable demo or an alpha/beta for this, cause it looks really awesome.

2. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Very low quality video, but showing what I am working on, the submarine script, tank, and jet not the vtol script, a lot needs to be done, but I am still actively working on the project.

note: The water does not have an underwater effect, so as you can see you can look right through the water. I will try and upload a newer higher res video with more of the vehicles I am working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BawHeaHjU4

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

nice job there

4. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

There is much to be done code and art wise. What we could really use is someone who can export the empires, or other mod, player models so we can get those in. Just like liberal, I am testing out new ideas with the new engine and will make new player models eventually but right now we need place holders. Weapons, player models, textures, etc.

Hehe, my carrier is there in the background

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

which model formats does unity3d support?

6. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Heh, almost anything. What modeling program you use?

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

8. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

It supports all of the major 3d modeling tools, I have been using Collada, and FBX files when importing into unity, just so it is easier for me to import back into Blender. However as long as you have the 3d modeler installed it is pretty much drag and drop into you assets folder in unity3d

http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/importing

Just a look at what is being added in unity 3.5

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/06/08/advanced-shading-and-lighting-for-mobile/

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I use 3dsmax as well. So FBX or 3ds would be fine.

10. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Hey, liberal, you going to tell me your reply of my message or what? when I get back inport I'll pack the sounds up and send them your way.

Also, don, I'm supporting this on the condition that you make a high poly model and leave it at that. None of this low poly crap, this is no longer 1999. I mean I can't get over how unbearable ugly and low poly empires models are compared to empires 1942. If I remember correctly that was your argument for having to make aircraft low poly, maybe it's a source limitation, if so I apologize.

11. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

About the sounds? Sorry i thought I had replied, guess not. Yea if you could give me the sounds I will see where I can fit them in.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

regardless of what year it is, poly budgets are still around 10k-ish or less for something like an airplane. The trick is building shaders that fake higher geometry

13. Angry

Angry Junior Member

But for a building? Come on! Screw shaders! Look at the Barracks in both games! One is clearly more high poly, the other is just a mid res texture.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Megel said he's measuring a couple of his models in millions of polys, as opposed to thousands. Seriously, you can't have 50 million on screen, it just won't work.

15. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I was unaware they were being registered in the MILLIONS. So I formally apologize and retract my former statements.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the best thing for fast paced games is, that you barely notice a difference anyway. most of the graphical improvements are for stunning single-player experiences, where you stand and adore the city/landscape, anyway.
    POM is a good example, you barely notice a difference in the heat of combat ...

high polies, parralax shaders, ambient occlusion, subsurface scattering - all of them are more suited for render stills and maybe animation movies (if you got the render power that is). but for games they add too little to be worth the frames they costs. for FPS you simply add a bit of motion blur, depth of field (in short post processing, its quite cheap in comparison) and a shitload of particle effects and it looks stunning without the need for any of the above mentioned gimmicks ... ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  18. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Do not fear, the low poly best looks great. The models I made for empires were much earlier in my career. I like to think I've gotten better :-)

19. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Someone give that man a fucking sandwich!

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Angry... seriously... use that one gif that was created for you... its much better.