Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

After speaking with MOOtant months ago after asked to do a NF aircraft factory, I got an idea to do a fantasy total war sim in Unity3d. Since there was an announcement made that the devs were working on aircrafts I kinda gave it up, but I recently found the files again, and decided to add the watercraft I was working on to the map, just scaling models at first, and playing around with the community made scripts in unity.

So I through a basic map together, and was able to use a premade tank script to make the AFV fire and move like it would in Empires, minus animations and sounds. Right now working on a flight script, and submarine, a 24 player server will be up in about a month or so.

This is just a prototype, not a real game, so I am not going to bother texturing anything, it is my side project, to demo how sea ,air, and land vessels can be used in Empires, and be effective, and to a greater scale than we have now.

I am only including one profession, with multiple weapons to choose from, so as to save some time.

and a stripped down research and com view, expect to receive invites for demo in about a month or two.

basic pictures of what the test map will looks like. Not done adding foilage, and will change the water shader as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Looks nice. What language are you using for scripting? How did you get multiplayer working?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Looks different. Nice work, I'd love to see more information.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Looks pretty sweet i'll say.

5. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I was using C#, but decided to use javascript, because there are more examples to follow, especially for the RTS camera.

I am using electro server

http://www.electrotank.com/es5.html

still have not got everything working correctly, very buggy, but just issues with getting unity to talk with the server.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is this how you end up writing a game like empires? :P

7. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I don't think I would want to do that, I don't really have any desire to make a another game similar to Empires. Really I wanted to do this as an example of what can be done in Unity3d in fewer than six months, and why Unity3d is very good at what it does, prototyping game concepts quickly.

I am working on my "real project" sort of speak with another person, and thats going to be an open world mech RPG set in a war torn African Country some time in the future. I am putting all my finances into to that, even hiring part time animators, and voice actors (I am really broke :( )

8. flasche

what if its your "destiny"? its one of these constellations, isnt it?
    you start small, change something here, add something there, you dont really want to do it, it pisses you off oh so often, but somehow it doest let you go either.
    then one day you wake up with a full game and find out it ate your soul ...

not that it happend with games to me but with other projects :p :cool:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  9. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I hereby elect myself supermoderator of your games forums and shall henceforth be known as R2Dee2.

10. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

shit, that is so true. Just swap the word full game with high payed/no freetime job, where you do things you hate yourself for.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  11. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Is there first person view as well? The scale looks much larger than empires

12. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Heres a first person perspective, also looking at the timeline, I wanted to try going with the photon server which allows up to 50 vs. 50 battles, so maybe one monthes was a little too ambitious...........But in the screen you will see that there are no weapons or animations yet, because still rigging the two characters I want to use. Also the GUI for the FPS does not work atm, so you see kinda the remnants of the RTS camera.

P.S. no skybox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also just something I found funny, when I tried the boat script, and added a collider this happen.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

lol, looks like your water is heavy wet concrete. At least the boat did _something_ :)

14. flasche

howto map for this? your demo map could look nicer ...

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Download Unity Flasche.

16. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

You don't really "map" in Unity though, do you? Not like Hammer anyways.

17. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

the terrain is a height map basically, but you can map in a 3d software package, which is how a lot of commercial game developers create their maps. But it's nothing like Hammer no. Unity has great 3rd party software support when it comes to modelling.

18. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

This is very interesting. Why did you not use UDK for this?

19. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Well when I was doing a comparison of engines unity vs UDK I found unity to be a lot more user friendly. And unity is a lot easier for hobbyist like myself to use since I am a one man team.

20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

What all are you planning on adding?