emp_nuclear

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I wish you could've been there to see it with your own eyes.

2. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Sure there weren't any scouts?

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

i like the old version better. lets revert to that

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

....elaborate?

5. 101010

101010 Member

@DDD
    Haven't played the newest version.
    But I have some ideas.
    1.Replace the main gate with a drawbridge and add a mote. = No more pushing people over the walls with vehicles.

2. Make a bigger version for full pop servers. Maybe cut it at the middle and insert more flags and dependable gates.

3. Directions!! First few times playing as BE I kept getting lost just trying to get to a flag to change class or skills. Maybe put directions in hallways. -this way to gate -this way to roof -this way to flag.

4. Remove the restrict brush.Anything anti-Engineer is bad. It makes people not want to play as engineer.
    That is bad for so many reasons.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

One thing that is really glaring occurred to me, when I was looking at the map for making the console model. If you drive under one of the bridges (you have to pass through there in order to reach the garages), the turret of your APC basically sticks through the bridge, while the rest of the APC is below the bridge. I was even able to shoot somebody on the bridge and on the fortifications while standing under the bridge.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

@42:
    1) is resolved by adding dragon's teeth. They are awesome and provide limited cover. See Sparty's screenshot right above your post.

2) I'm considering just making a version with increased tickets forBE as that is all the map needs to be fit for higher pops. It would be a separate map identical to the "original" save for that one thing.

3) addressed in the new version ;) There are signs on every doorway that tell you where you are going. There are also sounds for NF (thanks Angry!) and some more tips for BE (thanks Angry even more!). I think that's enough directions, but we'll see in a few after more newcomers play it.

4) The map is too tight to allow walls and turrets inside the base, mass walls would be way too good at blocking off the vehicle path. Also, Engineers have quite some trouble keeping their charge high with the amount of reviving that needs to be done and the occasional replacement camera. Turrets and walls would not benefit the gameplay at all.

@firewarrior: Yeah it looks funky and broken but APCs fit through and I had serious issues making the bridges look nice after raising them, so I eventually gave up.

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

It's not really something that bothers me because of how it looks, to me it's more game mechanic breaking than anything else.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'll give raising them another shot when I come home again.

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Quite frankly dont bother trying balancing the tickets for anything higher than 10v10. Above that the map turns into shit because nf has no chance of pushing unless be is braindead.

11. 101010

101010 Member

Was there an admin on ??
    There is a command to trigger doors from a distance but I am sure it requires admin.

ent_fire * open

*= door name

or you could use
    ent_fire !picker open

!picker = targets what you are looking at

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

Which trees does Nuclear use? Empires' or EP2's?

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Rappe's trees that come with Empires.

14. ImSpartacus

So I pubbed on this again and we had those periods where BE kept griefing itself by closing the control room door.

I was crying to my teammates as I typically do, but Candles told me to stop preaching to the choir, so I'll whine where it can be productively heard.

EDIT Oh and nade spam is chillingly effective for both teams in the control room area. I'm honestly not sure how that can be helped without vastly restructuring the area.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

One method is to not allow ammo crates in there...

Honestly though, people need to be more aggressive so nade spam doesn't have a chance to happen. Take a look at tf2, or nearly any control point game, if everyone sits on the point they open themselves up to eat a bunch of grenades so I don't see why empires would be any different.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Well, that's half the reason TF2 doesn't have grenades in the first place.

17. ImSpartacus

And that's why it's one of the best designed FPSs evar.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I was thinking of demo's gl or soldier's rocket launcher, there's plenty of spam in tf2. Grenades aren't really needed.

19. JK!

JK! Member

BE can grief itself by opening the front gate and shutting the control room door.

Can you please fix that, D.D.D. destroyer?

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

The consoles in the control room are supposed to provide cover aagainst both bullets and explosions, were they all down or something?

@JK: I am aware of the griefing potential but as I keep droning on in the thread there are edge cases where you want them in a seemingly disadvantageous position for BE for some crazy strats, like fooling vehicles onto the dragon's teeth or providing some safety for revive engineers for a few seconds.