emp_nuclear

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Keeping the griefing potential in to allow for some edge gameplay cases, that fits Empires game design perfectly.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Noone is going to use fancy fucking strats that can screw you over big time unless they are noobs or griefers.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Strongly disagree on both accounts.

4. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

The way I'd solve this is a simple console variable, 'Is_scrim' or something.

When it's a pub game, each team can only close it or open it, depending on the team.

When it's a scrim or pug or whatever, it's as it is now.

I don't know how implementable this is, though.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

The easiest way is to make a separate map for scrims only. It's a few entity changes and a recompile away from reality.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

There are scrims in Empires?

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

After playing this a couple more times, it's really getting old how BE will be the only people around and they constantly close the door to control room.

Strats are fun, you are right there's a couple of things you can do with them, but when 99% of the time it's being misused you clearly have to scrap it.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

make a skybox button that only someone with admin can fly up to and toggle scrim mode?

9. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Sorry to chime in with this old song but regardless of how it plays the map looks like complete ass. Optimization probably doesn't matter in a map like this so I don't expect anything there, but all the architecture and even prop placement give the strong feeling that the map is just one giant placeholder instead of a real design. I commend you on picking up the chisel and trying to produce something centered around gameplay but if people are going to be playing this seriously for the foreseeable future it needs some real attention in the aesthetics.
    If there's any part in specific you want visually overhauled (throw a grenade and you should hit something that does), I'd love to spend some time on it. I'm not talking about things that make even a slight difference gameplay-wise, in fact it's best to have most small details and small props as non-solid, but still there is a lot of atmosphere and aesthetic improvement to be gained with a few little touches. I realize that visually bare corridors and rooms can streamline the player experience but it's definitely possible to keep that effect and have the map look presentable.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

There are quite a few rough edges when it comes to gameplay, so it wouldn't make sense to worry about making the map "pretty" until things improve elsewhere.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Aesthetically, the only real issue I have is lighting. Whether or not other places have room for improvement, the single greatest thing that can be done for visuals is good lighting.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for good lighting you need interesting silhouettes to throw interesting shadows. (and a decently low lightmap scale - gl)

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The main thing are those trees that aren't casting any shadows at all. It's a bit jarring at the least.

Having actual models for the lights instead of just spots on walls and ceilings would be a major plus too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. complete_

complete_ lamer

i thought that everyone including ddd thought the map looked really bad

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

That was my impression too. The big problem is, I don't have a very good idea of how to make it not look like ass except for displacement work and lamp props.

I won't do anything breathtaking about the visuals until I'm done with my exams, whenever that is. Until I pass 'em, the only real changes will be gameplay stuff, like moving that corridor.

16. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Destroyer - Nuclear is one of my favorite maps. I could NOT give a shit about how pretty a map is, I like game play. It requires team work for NF to win. It requires team work for BE to defend effectively.

I'm surprised BE doesn't rush into the woods at the start of the game. BE is at a slight time disadvantage and the forward spawn would drain a few minutes of NF's time to get to the walls.

One thing that might be interesting is to enable BE to spawn at the middle flag, nearest NF base. Make NF get into a bloody alley fight before they can approach the walls. Right now NF will push Grens to hit Radar and turrets but rarely runs into BE until they get to the walls. BE tends to wait for NF to approach putting up cameras and turrets.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  17. D.D.D. Destroyer

It is way too easy to lock down that long corridor if BE are competent enough. NF, if caught unawares, can be locked down for at least half the round and they can't do much. Pushing the spawnpoint forward would make it even easier for BE to hold down, to the point of being unfun to play against. Having the defence line at the facility is the preferred spot as it gives NF a few avenues of attack and strategies to go about breaking through. Moving it forward would require some redesigning.

18. Z100000M

Thats quite possibly the stupidest thing be can do since trading tickets 1:1 on a timer map is a no-no.

19. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

OK - so dropping mines on the entrance road, outside the base, and riflemen shooting from inside the treeline won't get you more kills than 1:1. I guess you should play within your skill level and hide inside the base. But continue to lose every game :)

20. Z100000M

Then by all means, take your skill outside the walls and waste around 20 tickets while accomplishing nothing.