Emp_Insurrection

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Omneh, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Omneh

Omneh Member

They didn't work in 2.2 :(

The difficulty in driving was somewhat intentional, I admit.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well I do play this game for over 3 nearly 4 Years I think. Imagine a newbie playing your map, if I'm confused by it, how will the newbie react to your map?

3. Omneh

Omneh Member

Release!

After the map was rather well recieved in a playtest today, I feel comfortable in releasing the RC3 (don't ask what happened to emp_insurrection_ob, ob1, and RC2) of emp_Insurrection, featuring most prominently a stable framerate (although lower than most maps, but stable), various visual improvements, updated brushwork, and bridges across that pesky water which eats vehicles.

Links:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/610261/emp_insurrection_rc3.zip

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/610261/emp_insurrection_rc3.7z

http://mirror.kane.cx/freeshare/empires/emp_insurrection_rc3.7z

http://mirror.kane.cx/freeshare/empires/emp_insurrection_rc3.zip

Have fun. :)

(yes keef/shandy, I borrowed your tower design ^^)

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

I'm considering another release to tidy things up and make this as close to final as this map can get (bearing in mind that this WAS my first map, and due to poor construction there are some problems that will probably never go away) and I would appreciate any feedback, comments or criticism to help me get this into a properly playable state. :)

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yes i'm resurrecting this thread, sorry if there's a better one, but i've just played insurrection (again) and for the love of christ, please Omneh, PLEASE, do something about this map.

I've been fortunate that most of the time I play this map, I am commanding. Even then i've noticed the horrendous horrendous things in this map like pitfalls right outside the vf area and unnavigatable terrain.

I just played it on EPIC/Empires Main with about 5-12 people on each team and the rest in spec/unassigned - with 36 people on the server. This map cannot be played with few people, and it most often is, or sat out. It's a better map than that and it deserves a makeover.

Chiefly, please just get rid of all the tank traps (and no, I didn't just get stuck in them), with so much water and the difficulty in crossing it, you hardly need so much. Secondly, all the wrecks...they're not really needed. With the tank traps and the wrecks so close to each other, you can barely drive out of bases. Thirdly, please please highlight the tank crossable areas if you can - either on the minimap of a different texture near water. Possibly both.

This map has sometimes been quite fun, but with the millions of different, and quite often deadly, things on the map, it's really hard to get around. The map still gets played, and it's still really damn hard, so please, please...release just a little makeover and just clear out all those obstacles and make this map sooo much more fun to play on.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

I'm gonna replace the water with lava, make lava fountains that randomly erupt and blast you into the air and kill you, set everything on fire, put a giant trigger hurt over the map to simulate breathing toxic gases from said lava, spam minefields everywhere, cut random holes in the terrain (actually, there are enough of these already, noob mapping), have a nuclear strike that occurs every five minutes and wipes out everything on the map, spam minefields everywhere else, have random lava surges that cause the said lava to rise and drown everything in fire, cunningly position func_illusionary brushes that lure players into pits filled with lava and spikes, position enormous stone balls that roll down from the hills and crush tanks, add NPC birds that mob you and steal your pasties, and spam more trees.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Can you add some lava?

8. Omneh

Omneh Member

In all seriousness though I'll probably remake this at some point, given sufficient motivation. The map in its current state is so messily constructed I couldn't possibly work with it.

When I do, I'll be taking your comments into account, obviously. :p

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I want the lava map now...as long as I can jump 10 ft at a time :p

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would suggest you don't bother working on the current map, it'd be faster and more sensible to rebuild it from scratch.

11. Omneh

Omneh Member

Chris, I'm disappointed.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I assumed you meant 'I want to work on the map but the map is a mess and I don't want to deal with the mess I made'.

13. Omneh

Omneh Member

Oh, that as well.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

man that map is a mess

also cant you add a massive minefield?

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

So I decided to have a go at bringing omneh's map back from the dead.
    I present to you emp_insurrection_rc4:
    Download Link
    VMF Download
    The fps should be about 3 times better than rc3 and I made some other changes as well as noted in the below changelog.
    Screenshot

changelog:
    Code:
    emp_insurrection_rc4:
        Visual/Gameplay:
            Changed the ground textures.
            Changed the water to look swampy.
            New minimap.
            Removed some props that made driving too difficult on the main vehicle routes.
            Removed a crater at NF's start base that made getting out of the VF an issue.
            Made a puddle in the north-east shallower.
            Added clip and nobuild brushes on top of the cliffs (but not the hills).
            Tweaked 3D skybox (the ground doesn't disappear in the distance anymore.)
            Tweaked env_sun colours slightly.
            Added an env_tonemap_controller to tone down the bloom.
            Added a shadow_control to get correct dynamic shadows.
            Disabled self-shadowing on trees and bridges.

Fixes:
            Fixed holes/seams in the displacements.
            Fixed some overlapping water brushes.

Optimisation:
            Altered model fade distances.
            Made some detail brushwork func_lod.
            Changed unnecessary prop_dynamic models to prop_static (which are cheaper and look better).
            Removed a vehicle wreck that was barely poking out of the ground and could only be seen underwater.
            Optimised ref point particle effects.
            Tweaked lightmap scales.
            Removed displacements that can't be seen.

Known Issues:
            Some trees look too dark.
    credits:
    Code:
    emp_insurrection_rc4    by: Omneh, rc4 changes by CyberKiller
    As a side note, I never want to touch hammer again, I think I have gone insane from using it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Niiice. This was a pretty unique map and a lot of fun to play, I'm glad I'll get to play it again ^^

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

My life is complete. I can now die a happy man.

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

OMG OMG, the best map ever is back! With more fps too! I always loved how you could still control the swamp with dedicated infantry even when heavies role around.

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I can't even

20. 101010

101010 Member

OMG......I have searched everywhere for this map. Did't know the name so it made search near impossible. Thank you for bringing it back.