could some on do something for me?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by dnc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Making large hollowed cubes isn't good at all, you need to design the skybox to exactly fit around the 3d skybox models and brushes.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I don't think this is correct. Is it not BSP that divides up the level and decides what is void and what is not? So long as the camera is in an unconnected area, you should only see things within that area, full compile or not.

3. dnc

dnc Member

ok, so ill try too make my skybox area work. ill redo the skybox and run vis and rad on fast, too see if that works...

4. Slasher

Slasher Member

The 3d skybox can be place anywhere outside the main area, it all depends on where about in the 3d skybox you place the skybox camera. The skybox camera is 0,0,0 for the skybox only, think of it this way, everything in the skybox gets scaled up (the scaling point is the camera), the skybox camera move to the real 0,0,0 but everything in the skybox move with the camera as if it was parented to it. That how it works. And if you are still having trouble, I'm here to help.

5. dnc

dnc Member

ok so i ran vis and rad on fast, and my skybox is still too far away from the edges of my map so i might have to redo the skybox geometry (as in the stuff in the skybox)... well ill get onto that, and if that still dosent work, i dont know what i will do... But does the skybox on Mvalley (i think(the map with the satelite dishes...)) start right where the map ends...?

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Well, I'm recommending giving it an arbitrary size only from my experiences. Personally, I'm not going to bother making the skybox do anything other than show me sky until I'm done making the map. Then, I'll go off and make myself a spiffy-leet properly-sized skybox.

7. Slasher

Slasher Member

I don't have any trouble making a 3d skybox, I find them easy to make really.
    If you want, I can get it lined up if you.

8. dnc

dnc Member

i think ill try again, because everytime i read another tutoial ill figure sumthin new out, and well... i did...

9. dnc

dnc Member

i have a problem with the emp_eng_map_brush, fitted the brush into my hole that i want it to be in, and changed the settings to what i want and it does not appear in game, it just is not there, and i dont know why.
    could anyone help,plz?

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Make sure its not textured with nodraw, make sure its set to be visible on spawn.

11. dnc

dnc Member

its not such a nooby mistake, i go to the point where the brush shouldbe and there is nothing there.there is the hole where the brush should fitin, but there is nothing there...

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Not textured with nodraw as in NO PART of it has nodraw?

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The parts that are visible should have a visible texture on them.

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh. Well, that doesn't help me figure out my invisible bridge problem...

On another note, it seems the nice people at Valve have halfway fixed displacements. The BE CV still falls through, along with BE players, but the NF CV and players work with the displacements just fine.

I'm WTFing all over the place right now. Hammer is evil.

15. dnc

dnc Member

what, the cv falls through....? thats probably the problem with the disapearing cv when the map says its there.... but this still doesnt help my emp_eng_map.... brush as all of it is textured and is made from a solid block that has been carved out...

16. Slasher

Slasher Member

it dose not matter if a part of it has nodraw but did you set the "initial owner" to "No Owner (Enabled)" because if it's set to "No Owner (Disabled)" then no team can use it (or see it if "Visible To Enemy Team When Not Solid" is also set to "no") unless an input changes it to something else.

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I see, then. This shall fix some problems, but leaves the question of the BE's inability to walk/drive on some parts of my map up in the air...

18. Slasher

Slasher Member

have you read this short thread?

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Yeah. Like I said, the NF CV no longer falls through, but the BE CV does. BE players do, too, but NF players don't.

Very, VERY bizarre. They used to all fall through.

Meh. I suppose they'll have this fixed LONG before I'm done, anyway.

20. dnc

dnc Member

ok so im nearing the point where the main map is finished and the content is in, but i still have a large open space in the middle of the map... and this can cause problems to have an easily accesibly enemy base. so i need to have something that will stop the average player getting straight through the middle... when i have done this i will stat on a 3d skybox and lighting... but i need to sort this problem out...