could some on do something for me?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by dnc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dnc

dnc Member

i have made a map, but what i am stuck on is the setting up the map resources.
    i have a top down picture of the map, which is 512x512 for the mini map, and i have the map but i could not do the other files for the map.

so if i send someone the minimap picture (in a tga) could they make up the rest of the files. thanks...

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

just copy, rename, edit, and paste files from other maps to get ya started. im not sure which one (i aborted my map project like a 16 year old with a rape pregnancy) but you can go to one of the stickied posts to find out.

3. dnc

dnc Member

well i tried that, but i want the one of my own map, than i can actually be at a stage where i could release it, so, have you made a minimap yet?

4. turen

turen Member

ahahaa mr quackums, i liked your metaphor "i aborted my map like a 16 year old with a rape pregnancy" however insensitive it is.... i must deffinetly remember that one

5. dnc

dnc Member

well i got the picture working but, when i joined a team i could not pick the spawn point. i.e. there is a barracks and comm placed for each team, but the blue circle does not show up on the minimap (big) screen.

could anyone give me an answer?

6. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Are they enabled? They aren't by default I think.

7. dnc

dnc Member

yeah how do you do that than?

8. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

It's in the properties when you select the entity.

9. dnc

dnc Member

and what is the option to change it?

10. Slasher

Slasher Member

I have done this be for. Under 'Empires\resource\maps' there there needs to be a .txt file the same name of your map. In this file yours should look something like this:

//the name of your map
    "emp_NAME"
    {
    //the location in the 'materials/' dir where the image for the map is
    "image" "maps/emp_NAME"

//the top left corner of the image which equals the top left corner of the map coordinate below
    "min_image_x" "0"
    "min_image_y" "0"

//the bottom right corner of the image which equals the bottom right corner of the map coordinate below
    "max_image_x" "512"
    "max_image_y" "512"

//the top left corner of the map
    "min_bounds_x" "?"
    "min_bounds_y" "?"

//the bottom right corner of the map
    "max_bounds_x" "?"
    "max_bounds_y" "?"

//the size in map coordinates of each sector of a map (A1,F5, etc), a grid line is draw around each sector on the minimap to visually segregate them
    "sector_width" "?"
    "sector_height" "?"

//There are four levels of zoom. These are the min and max which corresponds to the amount of the map visible in the minimap panel when at that zoom level.
    "min_zoom" "1"
    "max_zoom" "0.25"

//Team panel descriptions
    "nf_description" "The Northern Faction is less equipped and trained than the forces of the Brenodi Empire, but its forces make up for it with genetic manipulation and determination. All members are ex-citizens of Jekotia whose disbanded military's past exploits into genetic manipulation were phased into the general population and provided a counter to Brenodi technology. This gives them the advantage of more versatility in ability enhancement and an unmatchable level of cohesiveness and coordination. They've managed to find support in ex-Jekotians hidden within the Brenodi Empire and among remnants of bunkers and weapon caches left over from the great battle which dissolved the nation of Jekotia."

"nf_objective" "Objective: The Imperial Flag lays just ahead, go forward and take them out."

"imp_description" "The Brenodi Empire’s forces are equipped with state of the art weaponary and equipment. All members undergo a strict training regiment to establish their combat effectiveness, and they are supported by the very best mechanized armor and air units. All Brenodian citizens are required to receive an extensive set of nanotechnological devices to function, and their military relies on these nanotech enhancements to further enhance the abilities of their soldiers. The Brenodi Empire wages an ongoing campaign to subdue the Northern Faction and eliminate their terrorist actions through force that have become all too common in ex- Jekotian territory."

"imp_objective" "Objective: The Northern Faction Flag lays just ahead, go forward and take them out."

}

where it say
    "min_bounds_x" "?"
    "min_bounds_y" "?"

"max_bounds_x" "?"
    "max_bounds_y" "?"

you need to find in Hammer, the x & y position for the top left and bottom right corners of your map from 0x 0y 0z (where the blue lines meet)

and where it say
    //the size in map coordinates of each sector of a map (A1,F5, etc), a grid line is draw around each sector on the minimap to visually segregate them
    "sector_width" "?"
    "sector_height" "?"

you can put down any number you want here.

Hope this helps.

11. dnc

dnc Member

sorry i figured that out, i have already posted the solved reply, but i am stuck on the imp and nf spawn points, they do not show up on the map when you chose the team you want, so thats the problem i am having. but thanks for the reply...

12. Slasher

Slasher Member

Than the only other thing I can think of now is to look at your map in hammer and check if your barracks are yes for fully build, you have 1 emp_info_params in your map and at lest 1 emp_info_map_overview in your map. Another thing to check is the see if the x & y for you top left and bottom right corners of your map and mini-map are correct, because if it not, it could draw the icons (spawn points, buildings, etc) way off on the mini-map, even off the mini-map entirely.

13. dnc

dnc Member

14. Slasher

Slasher Member

I have found out what was wrong with your map

the x & y for the top left and bottom right corners or your map was wrong. You were telling the mini map to cover a very small area of your map.

Here is what you .txt file should of have:

"emp_2_hills"
    {
    //the location in the 'materials/' dir where the image for the map is
    "image" "maps/emp_2_hills"

//the top left corner of the image which equals the top left corner
    //of the map coordinate below
    "min_image_x" "0"
    "min_image_y" "0"

//the bottom right corner of the image which equals the bottom right corner
    "max_image_x" "512"
    "max_image_y" "512"

"min_bounds_x" "-7168"
    "min_bounds_y" "5120"

"max_bounds_x" "3584"
    "max_bounds_y" "-3584"

//the size in map coordinates of each sector of a map (A1,F5, etc), a grid
    //line is drawn around each sector on the minimap to visually segregate them

"sector_width" "640"
    "sector_height" "640"

//There are four levels of zoom. These are the min and max which correspond to
    //the amount of the map visible in the minimap panel when at that zoom level.

"min_zoom" "1"
    "max_zoom" "0.25"

//Team panel descriptions
    "nf_description" "The Northern Faction are in red and the Brenodi Empire will try to kill you using the shizzle taht the game developers like. i.e. a arty and a heavy tank (which should work from their base). But your job is to brutily murder the Brenodi Empire with all your shizzle i.e. a uber 1337 scout and some tanks. Oh and there are some resources around that might help. #devilnevercare"

"nf_objective" "Objective: Build refineries to gain resources and build up your army. Then Brutily Murder the Brenodi Command Vehicle, or destroy all barracks (removing any place to spawn) and kill all members of the enemy team."

"imp_description" "The Brenodi Empire’s tanks will pwn like uber... You and your team are in black, dont ffs shoot eachother, but try to use the cool looking Brenodi tanks to pwn the nf team, this will occur a victory. Be wary of the nf scout as there rifle is pretty uber oh and there tanks may be able to get your comm from their base, be careful VERY carefull!!!"

"imp_objective" "Objective: Build refineries to gain resources and build up your army. Then crush the Northen Faction Command Vehicle, or pwn all barracks (removing any place to spawn) and kill all members of the enemy team."

}

and you CAN NOT USE ENTERS INBETWEEN THE " " otherwise it won't work right (this had nothing to do with the spawning problem)

one more thing, the terrain need to be smoother, you put displacement on all the faces of each brush that have displacement when only the top face needs it (this is wasting drawing time) and any faces that you can not see should have a nodraw texture on the face (mostly apples to the tower and other things like it)

good luck with the map.:D

15. dnc

dnc Member

thanks mate, thats realy helpful. i know the brushes look pretty teible but i was going to redo them sometime, but your help is realy apreciated, thanks.

i will post again when the map is finished.

16. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Heh, pwn all enemy barracks :)

17. Slasher

Slasher Member

If you ever need or want custom models made for your map, just ask me and will see if I can make them for you.

I went from mapping to modeling because I wanted to be a modeler not a map maker. But i have learned a lot from making maps.

18. dnc

dnc Member

thanks, i will probably ask you sometime. : )

19. Slasher

Slasher Member

I thought i'll make you a better mini-map for you as shown below.
    [​IMG]

notices that the image have no depth into it. I made it use this.
    I made it .jpg so I could host it and the reason why there is a blank strip at the top and bottom is because your map is not squared.

While making this mini-map I found that you have no bottom on you map Causing you map to leak. Info on leaks can be found here.

And while you at it you may want to take a look at valve's mapping wiki there is good map making info there.

*edit*

To use this mini-map, in you .txt file, you would have to change this:
    "min_image_x" "0"
    "min_image_y" "0"

"max_image_x" "512"
    "max_image_y" "512"

to this:
    "min_image_x" "0"
    "min_image_y" "95"

"max_image_x" "1024"
    "max_image_y" "923"

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  20. dnc

dnc Member

well slasher, youve donr alot for me... ive already had a look at the valve wiki and have read through some of the notes on making maps interesting (no enemy round every corner and so on...). but the other tutorial will be alot more helpful... as ive added a few buildings to my map and have made it bigger to acomondate the tanks being able to get up and down the 2 hills... ive built a few bunkers (or what they realy are is walls with two levels). but i am at the stage where i will have to add more structures into the middle and i am thinking of adding fog, to make it a little more interesting...

but the leaks, i read through thaty wiki and do you think its is the displacement of the ground and a lack of anything under it...?

but my enlarged map fills the standard x,y grid and when i try to compile it i get this message... actually ive got about 7 leaks... (just looked at the mesage it gives while compiling) so i will get round to this tomoro. as i am too tired from sailing at the moment... but thanks for the heads up... : )