could some on do something for me?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by dnc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dnc

dnc Member

ok, i just couldnt be bothered to make something to big, but i want it to be big so to encourage troop combat, instead of tanks. as i want it to be like a sealed fortificatiobn like a castle but a little more futuristic, but i will have a go in hammer.

2. Slasher

Slasher Member

You could place grappling hooks on top of the walls with ropes going down on the outside and place a ladder entity over it so it's scalable.
    Just an idea, but you can make the ropes using the rope entities and I can model the grappling hooks.
    Easy.

3. dnc

dnc Member

yeah, so in the process of building the fort, i decided to put in a capture point. but when i put the entity emp_cap_model that goes fine. but the emp_cap_point does not exist in the entitys drop down menu? can anyone help?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

that's because it'sa brush-based entity. Create the area you want to be capturable as a solid (or several). Select them all, then press ctrl-T. Then you select emp_cap_point from the list there.

5. dnc

dnc Member

i had a feeling it was, but probably didnt search there or overlooked it... butr thanks for the help: )

6. dnc

dnc Member

ok but one more thing, what is the model tht is used in 2 of the new maps to show that there is a resource node there? its a flat red-ish circle with something in the middle... sprry for the vague discriptions

7. Slasher

Slasher Member

It a metal wheel and it's half in the ground, it can found in models\props_wasteland\wheel03a.mdl

8. dnc

dnc Member

thanks again mate : )

9. dnc

dnc Member

ok so i added a few things to my last update, ive added all the resource points i want and my bunker/fortiftcation is going well, theres about 2 major problems... ive added a flag in the bunker, but when you catch it it will end the game and i dont want that to happen is there any way i can stop this?... and i have tried to add a 3d skybox but i have a big problem on where to place it (im not too sure about 3d skyboxes anyway) but it all went realy wrong. and i have lost where the camera is when i load up hammer, it shows a black window and i think its in the "void" but im not sure where, is there a way of centering it at 0,0,0?

10. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

hmm....u put 3d skyboxs (if my definition of them is correct) wayyyyy under the map. go to emp_slaughtered, go to the middle of the map as specator, and go straight down.
    for me, the 3d camera is gone to, i thikn its a bug.
    did u make shure that the other team has flags that r captured?

and btw, plz host images on imageshack.us, i cant download those from filefront for some reason.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The last steam update broke hammer, select camera tool and click in one of the 2d views.

12. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

? i dont understand

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Make an entity of any kind.

Select it.
    Under the view menu, center 3d view on target.

Bam.

Delete the unnecessary entity.

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

ooo duh.

15. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Omfg Sry I Dont No Wut Happend!!!! Plz Someoen Delete Those!!!
    WTS IS THIS?!?!?!? I CANT EVEN POST THAT FAST IN 10 MINUTESS!!!

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Select the camera tool from the left in hammer( the red camera), click in one of the 2d views and 3d view will come back, same thing happens with entity tool. Also note people have spotted displacements not being solid for vphysics objects, only happens with newly compiled maps.

17. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I've heard that running CS:S or HL2DM once after the update fixes this, but I haven't tried it yet. :)

18. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Tried that, it didn't work for me.

19. dnc

dnc Member

well i centered the 3d view on an entity i made and that solved the problem. but i still have the problem with the 3d skybox i made it a 16th put the skycamera in the middle, moved my main map below the skybox and put the sky_camera in the 0,0,0 cordinates. and it is either of the middle or is resized in the wrong place... and the files on fileplanet are extremely old and are from about 1.5months ago... so i will update to my latest version when i have the time...

oh and i only want one capture point, to use as a tactical advantage

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Here's what you do:

Make a cube, hollow it (thin walls are probably good). Now, place the skybox texture on all the walls (tools/skybox or something like that, it should just say the word "skybox" all over it when you're done). Stick your skybox camera in the center of the cube (make sure there aren't any seams to your skybox, btw). Now, fiddle around with sticking crud in the skybox.

It seems to act badly if you don't do at least a fast vvis/vrad run (not sure which one fixes it). Act badly as in, when I put my skybox below the map and didn't do the vis/rad passes, I could look up and see my map... So without doing at least a fast vvis/vrad, the skycamera will see EVERYTHING there is to see.