could some on do something for me?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by dnc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Slasher

Slasher Member

Well I have a lot of free time cause I'm on holidays, but when I do go back to school I'll still have some free time.

Anyway
    yes, that's exactly what I meant when I said “you have no bottom on you map.”

Anyhow it nice to be appreciated so thanks for the thanks.

2. dnc

dnc Member

lol ok, ive put a square brush under the map to compensate for the displacement... and i am jsut getting on with it... i am also on holicdays after doing gcse's so thats why i am building this map. but im not sure hat to build next.

but there is a problem when i try to compile my map i get this message.

Code:
    Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jan 16 2006)
    ----- Radiosity Simulator ----
    2 threads
    Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
    Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
    Warning: Couldn't open texlight file c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\devilnevercare\sourcesdk\bin\lights.rad.
    Loading c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\mapsrc\emp_2_hills_enlarged.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\empires\mapsrc\emp_2_hills_enlarged.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Empires\mapsrc\emp_2_hills_enlarged.bsp" "c:\program files\valve\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Empires\maps\emp_2_hills_enlarged.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
      "The system cannot find the file specified."

3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I have been getting that error A LOT lately too.

4. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

5. dnc

dnc Member

well i looked at that link, and ive tried to make things work but i still get the same error

6. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member

7. dnc

dnc Member

dun dun der solved... i had the skybox walls right on the edge of the grid, so i moved them in and it compiled... so i played it for a while and looked at the things i need to improve...

8. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Screenshots!!

9. dnc

dnc Member

ok so i took some images of my map, theres still loads to be done but here is the basic view...

http://hosted.filefront.com/dnc666

i did put resourse points and props in but the props do not show up on my map... can anyone uggest why?

10. Slasher

Slasher Member

have you selected a model for your resourse_point_props, you can use any model you like but you should not use anthing bigger the a Refinery

11. dnc

dnc Member

well i looked but i dont know where the standard one i want is (the one from emp_isle). but that should sort out the problem.

12. dnc

dnc Member

well i looked but i dont know where the standard one i want is (the one from emp_isle). but that should sort out the problem.

13. Slasher

Slasher Member

the models they use on emp_isle are called rockcliff01f, it under the props_wasteland folder

14. dnc

dnc Member

cool so i now have seeable resource points... but the thing that i am not sure about is running into the skybox. i know that it will block you, but i was wondering what should go around the outside, any suggestions?

15. Slasher

Slasher Member

emp_isle has water around the skybox and emp_canyon has hills but emp_duststorm dose not have anything, its really up to what you think.
    if you do somthing like emp_canyon then you don't have to have a 3D skybox but there easy to make anyway.

16. dnc

dnc Member

i thought my map had the 3d skyboxin it, well i cant see any corners when i look in the corner. but i will think of something, i did experiment with high cliffs, but i was thinking maybe a bit that goes down and if anyone falls of the "plateu"(sp?) than i will make it so they die instalntly. oh and i put fog in but its a little too dense so i will make it a little less occur-rent... but im on my way to finishing, i pretty much know what else to do....

17. Slasher

Slasher Member

18. dnc

dnc Member

k that looks like what i might need to do, in the future, slasher did you get my message?

19. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

emp_duststorm has a 3D skybox. Look under the map in spectator mode and you'll see.

20. Slasher

Slasher Member

I did get the messages, but the sizes you gave me are HUGE, it's a lot bigger then any other empires buildings. I made a good size imp bunker as seen below
    [​IMG]
    but the x is only 1160, y is 1173 and the height is just 275.5 and take note, only half of the x & y is the bunker (the rest is just tank traps) and some of the bottom dose go through the ground.

If you want to make it that huge size, I highly recommend to make it in hammer as it will be a lot Quicker and easier to make.
    but I can make models for it like railing, staircases or even doors, so it's doesn't look so empty (that is the main goal for model after all).