could some on do something for me?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by dnc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Slasher

Slasher Member

I have been doing some optimization on you brushwork, I have done the small house and the two thing at the corner, going to do more later.
    But there is one rule you should always fellow, always snap to the grid, even if the thing goes on an angle, except for displacement.
    One more thing, you have 2 sky_cameras one in the 3D skybox and one in the main area at 0,0,0. you should get rid of the one in the main area because it's also projecting a scale-up 3D skybox of the main area (in other words, you got 2 3D skyboxes).

And your map looks very good.

2. dnc

dnc Member

i didnt know about the 2 skycameras... probably left it in there... but i just dont realy see why i need to snap to grid, if the building has already been built than i rotate it to the position i want it to be in... but i dont want people to realy change the map, but just find out where the bugs are...

3. Slasher

Slasher Member

If the object is a func_detail then it would be OK if it doesn't snap to the grid. Sometimes if brushes does not snap to the grid, it doesn't get compiled right and sometimes leaves holes and gaps in the brush work. I know this because it happen to me before.

Optimization is not really changing the map, it's more about removing unnecessarily triangles and leafs (and a few other things). it's long, it Requires some know how and it's not really fun to do, but there are great benefits from doing it. Just wanted to help out.

4. dnc

dnc Member

ok, well thn thats okay... but it sounded like you were editing a few bits... but yeah thatnks for the work...

but i get these errors in the compile log:
    "WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster"
    and
    "zero area child patch"
    are they realy serious problems or can they be ignored?

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

dnc, as much as I am willing to help, I've already directed you to the interlopers error checker several times. You have to help yourself.

I did not get these errors when I compiled your map, so it must be something that you have added since then. Both are caused by poor brush-work. Either clean it up, or make it a func_detail.

6. dnc

dnc Member

well its not like i havent looked at the interlopers page or like i havent been using interlopers to learn how to map... or been posting on interlopers...

INTERLOPERS IS MY FIRST FUCKING RESOURCE FOR MAPPING, NAB!
    i even have that error checked downloaded to my computer...
    i could not find the problems using the cordon tool... and you didnt look at interlopers to help, you didnt find out that they were in the vis and rad part of compiling... did you? so you could try and help more than assuming that people dont try to diy...

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I've already answered your question about the origin and severity of particular bugs (#104) by directing you to a suitable resource. By asking the same question again for different errors, that tells me that you really are not trying, and so makes me feel as if my help is not being appreciated.

Other people are capable of working it out, so that tells me that the only factor you are lacking is effort. I want to help you, but you seem to be making things as difficult as possible.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  8. dnc

dnc Member

ive already said that i dont have alot of free times on my hands now, as ive gone too boarding school and my days are about twice as long as they were, i have more work and less time... I have appreciated the help youve given me with the tower but i have also got the errors mentioned above, concerning vis and rad and i asked a sensible question about these bugs and you've came back flaming me for it! Its a sensible question that i feel needs to be answered in a semnsible manner. biatch