Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's also not an FPS, so it can suck my dick.

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Oblivion got tiring. Ride here. Get attacked by wolf (another?!) go into ruins. I got as far as starting to collect the armor for the main story, and then did all of the side stuff....and got way too bored. God dammit, how many oblivion gates are there?! Either way - oblivion can be summed up as "Wow, good graphics. Nice voice acting. Shitty reptitive gameplay."

1 you take it at whatever pace. 2 forces you into story missions to move the plot forward (after you do 10 side missions, you are forced into a main mission. 2 feels way better though, as there is no "loot" - you don't have to sell your inventory every time you get done with a mission.

I suppose COD6 then is great, because it's story is shitty? ME has great story and voice acting to it...with something based on SP only, the story better damn well be good.

FPS RPG hybrid I think, really.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Nope, MW2 beat it out. I meant that Reach beat out Halo 3. So for a single platform game, Reach is selling better than most multiplatform games. And by most, I mean all but one.

You...have mod powers? If so, I'm scared. For the sake of the forum.

4. Trickster

Have had for ages. Don't use them except for suggestions forum cleanup.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It's possible to clean up the suggestions forum?

Suggestion: Add the AWP to Empires. Kills you no matter where it hits.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes actually, because that way it doesn't get in the way.

If I want a good story I read a book, because books are a good storytelling medium, they can be as fast or as slow as you want, they have the perfect images to go with it, and there is nothing whatsoever to break the immersion.

Games on the other hand suck as storytelling media, and the stories are written by hacks for the most part, and are always in conflict with good gameplay.

A good game uses the story as a pretense for putting you in interesting places and getting you to do cool shit, because interesting places and cool shit are good things for a game to have, a bad game takes its over-engorged story-cock and jams it down your throat until you choke on all it's foul tasting plot-jizz.

Mass effect 2 does the latter, and it sucks because of it, mass effect 1 did it less and so I liked it, oblivion doesn't do it at all if you don't want it to, I usually play it by skipping all the story bits and just following the arrows and killing things until it gives me stuff, and the rest of the time I wander around looking for interesting shit to kill with my cool sword.

Half life does it perfectly, you are GORDON FREEMAN DEFENDER OF EARTH and you have to use your ARSENAL OF WEAPONRY and your DEGREE IN THEORETICAL PHYSICS to KILL ALIENS and ZOMBIES and ALIEN ZOMBIE SOLDIERS while SOLVING PUZZLES and DRIVING CARS in order to DEFEAT THE EVIL GOVERNMENT MAN and WIN THE GIRL and SAVE THE EARTH.

Entirely uninspired, entirely enjoyable to play.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. Empty

Empty Member

While I completely disagree with Chris entirely on his opinion, I find his synopsis of half life to be hilarious.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

They're adding in a mute guy (as in, can't speak) or deaf or something like that in Ep3. Who is (or was?) Alyx's love interest. Gabe "Where's my burrito!?" Newell was touting it as some great addition because Valve now cares about disabled people or something.

As for ME - the story I have no issue with. I felt like COD was in fact ramming some shit story down my throat. It made COD6's SP completely unenjoyable for me. I mean, I truly hated it for it's shitty in your face "oh god, we're being invaded and betrayed" story. Deus Ex, System Shock - they've all got a great story going and you actually further the story. You actually end up in the middle of it, being surprised by it and interacting with it (in the case of Deus Ex and similar games where you affect the outcome.) Mindless games of "fight from here to here" strike me as totally pointless. That's for MP, not SP. Arkham Asylum for example had great voice acting, and a "good" story if you like Batman. Mass Effect - and most Bioware games - focus on a good story and being immersed in it.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

COD6 doesn't have a story, it's just going around and shooting people, and people read randomised tom clancy novels during the loading screens.

I can't hear what the other tools in my squad are saying because I'm too busy shooting terrorists, or nazis, or whoever the series wants me to kill at the moment.

All I remember of ME one is shooting robots, and the second one is shooting weird bug aliens which was way more boring than robots. Also the game kept complaining because I wasn't rescuing these oh so important tools from places and kept throwing in these stupid characters and asking me to talk to them. Just shut up and give me time and I'll kill all the aliens and then there won't be any problems. Also those stupid giant ships just fire me at one in a torpedo and I'll go blow up the central core and kill it or something, I can do that in every other game, why do I need to have all these stupid secondary characters around?

System shock story: evil robot woman with cool voice wants to kill everyone, you kill all her robot soldiers and blow her up, YOU'RE WINNER!

Deus ex story: Evil government corporation secret society wants to rule the world, you kill them all and win the game, or if you're me you play the sequel and cause the singularity which was kinda cool.

All good games are basically go <place> kill <bad person> win <prize>. I don't see any meaninguful distinction between them beyond that.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Actually I'm thinking about getting black ops, but wtf, they are selling it for 60€ instead of the usuall 50€ (which is also ridiculously high),
    sooo I might be waiting to save some bucks on this,
    also newly released FPS are overrated,
    it needs a good couple of weeks to fix the gamebreaking bugs which occur in about 3 of 4 games nowadays,
    that is IF they actually fixing stuff for black ops (yeah different studio means they prolly work better, IF activision pays them for fixing bugs, which is a far different story)

11. Trickster

I saw it being €60 when I was in Holland, it's like £15 more expensive than in the UK.

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I gonna check it in amazon.co.uk I wouldn't get the german version anyway,
    because no free zombi game is a bit too much of censorship imo,
    well, any censoring is but if it would have been only a bit blood which were missing i wouldn't wait 4-5 days for an order ...:rolleyes:
    /edit: done, 35 pounds preorder which is about 40 € :o

cannot be shipped to the address i selected ... interesting ... q.q

/editedit:
    I also read the uncut english version cannot be activated in germany, but the austrian version can, so I guess i gonna grab an austrian version instead, gosh censoring sucks huge fucking cocks, and all just for fucking show ...
    /rereedit: they even cutted out the rolling stones song sympathy for the devil because it has something to do with WWII, god i hate germany, I'm happy I still can write in an international forum, maybe they gonna cut that next because someone could mention WWII?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

AFAIK, every uncensored version of CoD:BO that is activated on Steam from a German IP will be "updated" to the censored version.

BTW, if you want to buy from the UK, you should have a look at play.com, they have free shipping to all of Europe and very good pricing.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Germans are fags. That's my contribution to this topic. (seriously stop talking about Germans failing again with video games)

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

As much as they aren't nazis, you've got a point, no one gives a shit except those neo-nazis and other religious fanatics.

16. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Noone gives a shit if the entire zombi mod is missing?
    Damn I love zombi shooters, I think thats reason enought to give a shit,
    also don't talk about stuff you've no clue about,
    swastikas are just a tiny thing getting censored the most censored stuff is everything violent, corpses and blood, even when rated 18+ (highest possible limit)
    if that leads for you to neonazis then your brain must have rotten away ... -.-'

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

18. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

yes complete they have that Jeep Wrangler...

I've seen the commercial about 30 times..

Buy the Jeep Wrangler Call of Duty: Black Ops edition for 29,999.99

Anywho... I have to say its now A much higher priotiry to buy BUT I'm going to Montreal International Game Show (MIGS) 2010 tomorrow so I wont be back until the 9th or 10th meaning no Black Ops for me.

Unless they give it out at th convention

19. YouzY

YouzY Member

I wont pay for this game myself =]

20. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

And the verdict is? (good or bad?)
    For me at least the game is unavailable for oh... 2 hours? However long it is, I'm to tired to do math.