Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You realize that in 99% cases in game industry publisher funds the development and developer simply works on the game?

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

AHAHAHA, i love my german neighbours. :D

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yes, your point being?

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Would have been nice if the publishers weren't such assholes about everything with their "xbox-exclusives", etc.. (Yes, I am talking about you, Microsoft, who made Alan Wake an xbox-exclusive!)
    Also, publishers like EA often take all the credit by stapling their giant fucking logo everywhere, while the developers only get a tiny logo.
    BF:BC series and Medal of Honor by DICE is a good example where EA gets these sweet intros while DICE only get their logo fading in and out.
    I've seen too many people blaming / giving credit to EA, because apparently "they made the game".

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Your source being what? Remedy had a small team working on Alan Wake, so they hit the easiest target, being years behind schedule. Remedy even came out and said as much.

As for XBox exclusives: Halo would have been some shitty RTS originally. MS forced it to be an FPS, and until MW2 came along, Halo 3 held the record for best sales at launch. Reach beat out Halo 3. And that's saying something, because Halo 3 is a SINGLE PLATFORM game, and it took a multiplatform game selling on 4 platforms to beat it. Meaning: there's money to be had by shipping on the xbox. Show me PS3 games that are setting records? Best exclusive they have is Uncharted 2, which set...no records.

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Two...characters....in multiplayer? Or not...

And Bungie engineers make a million? Hah!

Someone needs a life...

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The only thing that should be censored from black ops is anything that relates to Nazi Germany, notably visual stuff like swastikas. All this taking out violence might be a bit too much.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wait halo reach is on the PC?

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No, he's referring to Modern Warfare 2. Also, I don't give a shit. I want this thread back on topic or I'm banning people from posting it. I know for a fact more than 2 other people are getting black ops, so I want to know who I can play with on release day. This is important and relevant to my interests, and I could care less about everyone elses.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

i love paying $5 for a extra map

anyways have fun playing a game for a month week

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Maybe release day, depends on whether I have cash handy.

If it costs a damn fortune I'm not buying it.

13. Trickster

Yeah, the map pack thing in mw2 was really gay. I didn't buy them. I just hope the campaign takes me at least 8 hours, but that's probably optimistic. CoD4 took me about 10, MW2 took me about 6, both on veteran first playthrough. Although MW2 did have Spec Ops, which this doesn't.

The wager matches look interesting, and I especially like the idea of the CS:S style gungame in this.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My gauge is usually "if I value this for MP, SP doesn't matter much at all. If I value it for SP, then the SP has to last me a good 10+ hours." Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Arkham Asylum, RE5 - they all fit this. COD never really has, and the SP has increasingly felt like something they tacked on to justify the cost, imo. Don't get me wrong, the AC130 missions rock, and there are other highlights, but not enough.

15. Trickster

I guess, but sometimes I really feel like I have to play a nice linear shooter. I'm a bit of a completionist, so big open ended games I end up having to do every last bit of. Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, even fucking Pokemon back when I used to play that. I physically cannot play through it without making sure I get every last item, every last sidequest, etc. It ends up turning into more a chore. Borderlands I was just about able to manage without feeling totally overwhelmed by the openness. So whilst I'll play games like that (just started New Vegas), I often just need a good linear shooter which I don't have to think about too much. The medal of Honour campaign was surprisingly good, I was really gutted when it ended so quick. So yeah, I really hope I can get at least 8 hours out of this. I might not even play it right away (although I probably won't be able to stop myself) and just save it for when I need a break from Fallout New Vegas, which is inevitably going to take me a couple of weeks to do it to my standards (And I'm doing it on Very Hard Hardcore mode).

16. Empty

Empty Member

Pokemon isn't really open ended, you can play after you win the 90% linear campaign but that's it.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Oblivion never was finished because I have the same mentality, but then often realize I've bitten off WAY more than I can chew, and give up. Dragon Age and both Mass Effects however I managed the completionist stuff without being overwhelmed and enjoying it completely...not many games can do that for me.

Linear shooters can be fun, but do too many IMO, and it gets WAY too tiring. I can only handle stuff like COD4's SP and BF:BC2's SP for so long. Brutal Legend I'm finding is the right amount of "opene ended" in that I'm not presented with some infinite amount of side missions...though it gets too repetitive very early on.

18. Trickster

I haven't tried Mass Effect or Dragon age, but I'm told that Mass Effect 1 is way more open ended than Mass Effect 2.

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Oblivion was uber awesome and you can simply take it step by step (main story line then guild quests).

Trickster why do you need open if you can get awesome (Mass Effect 2)?

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

ME2 is gears of war in space.

With an annoyingly intrusive story that keeps trying to shove its literary dick in your mouth.