Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Krazer

Krazer Member

Splitscreen multiplayer is fucking awesome.

But overall this game is pretty disappointing compared to other CODs.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Have you played it yet? I'm still waiting for it to come through the post.

3. Krazer

Krazer Member

Yeah my friend picked it up at midnight, and we've been playing it for a couple hours now.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Campaign is like MW2, jumps about all over the place, kinda sucks, although it does have fortunate son and sympathy for the devil in it and both of those are cool.

Haven't tried multiplayer but I am really bored of the campaign, also it's not very well tested because I found several things didn't work on hardneed difficulty, like you instantly die if you try to follow your squad, whereas you don't on normal. Also there's a bunch of bullshit stuff like tanks landing on you and bridges collapsing that kill you if you don't know exactly what to do to avoid them.

All in all not very polished at all.

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

And I thought I'd actually buy that crap because it would have dedicated servers...

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually the couple of servers I joined have really crappy lag problems.

My ping is about 60, but people are teleporting pretty constantly, it's not at all smooth like COD4.

Really makes the multiplayer suck.

Otherwise it's a lot more like COD4, just with a shitty connection.

7. Trickster

Right. Well, I've been playing through the single player so far. It's interesting, but as Chris said, the difficulty fluctuates so much. I've been playing it on veteran, and I tore through entire sections without dying once, then just hit a brick wall in some areas, one of which took me over an hour to get through and in excess of 50 deaths. On top of that, the storyline isn't quite as endearing as CoD4 or Modern Warfare 2, and none of the characters (except a guy called Reznov) are particularly memorable. Possibly unrelated, but I played the new medal of honour about a month ago or so, and I really enjoyed that campaign, apart from how short it was, and I'll definitely say I preferred that to this so far.

As for the multiplayer, I'm enjoying it a lot, but the freeze-ups are terrible. It's not server lag, it's something clientside, and it's fucking terrible. Every other minute I freeze complete for up to 5 seconds, and I've had to end the process because of a perma-freeze in menu a few times. It's a shame because I genuinely am enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit. It's probably because no-one has found the really gay combinations of weapons to come yet, or maybe there aren't any (no dual wield shotguns at least).

I paid £36 for this game, and honestly, it's probably worth closer to £20, maybe £25 when they fix the fucking freezing. Having said all of this, I haven't played the zombie mode yet, which I'm told is still really quite awesome. I can live with what I paid, and I probably wouldn't be that gutted if I'd spent £40 on it off steam, but it certainly isn't worth the €60 they're charging in the rest of Europe.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I might get it during the Christmas sale when everything goes on for 70 % off and shit.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Bugs I'm sure they'll work out. If they don't, the COD franchise is dead. People are buying it based on MW2 and COD4, and if you poison the well, people won't keep drinking from it.

As for gameplay, I'm not totally surprised...Treyarch games in the series felt less polished (I mean, look at COD3...) As for gameplay, I don't think anyone expected this to be anything monumental - Kotick blatantly admitted he finds franchises he can exploit for 10 years and just releases as many games as possible. COD4 was an awesome game, and they're going to keep doing that until people tire of it (EA's response was pretty amusing :) )

If the game doesn't have nonsense like the noob tube it might actually be good multiplayer when fixed though!

10. Trickster

They won't sell it for much less than 25% off, even at Christmas.

Also, I read on wikipedia that dedicated servers being removed from MW2 was Activision's decision, not Infinity Ward, which does suck a bit. But yeah, I haven't had so many problems with grenade launchers, albeit there's been a fair bit of ballistic knife faggotry (which admittedly, I have partaken in). But anyway, we'll see.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ballistic knife is so OP, it's a secondary weapon which can only be replaced by a pistol or something, but I use it as a primary weapon and head the leaderboard with it.

The weapons are pretty terribly balanced, you literally just get universally better ones later on. I kitted out the skorpion with a silencer and grip, and it's so pissweak you literally can't kill anything with it unless you use the entire clip, and it takes longer than other guns. Compare with the AKSU which you get at level 17 which is more powerful, has a bigger clip, is more accurate, has more upgrade options, and is actually more like an assault rifle you can use while moving.

Sniper rifles are broken all to hell, nobody uses them and if you actually try to silence them, you literally can't kill someone with a headshot at medium range, don't spend money on them.

Assault rifles are all basically the same, get one that shoots lots of bullets and hose people with them, or get an LMG which by default will work more or less like an assault rifle and do the same thing.

Everyone seems to be getting lots of lag problems so at the moment though, running really fast and shooting people with an SMG or stabbing them with the double knives is easily the best option.

12. Empty

Empty Member

It doesn't matter if it's the buggiest piece of shit ever made, people will still buy CoD games if they have a deagle, an AK47 and weapon attachments.

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

People surprisingly remember the numerous bugs from MW2...

14. Trickster

Honestly though, the Olympia is the most glorious weapon ever added to a game. It's just a giant version of the empires shotty pistol. And on top of that, supposedly the shotguns just get better and better, so by the time I hit the 4th shotgun I have no idea what to expect. The stakeout seems nice enough but even with sleight of hand it's a little slow to pump to the next shot.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's shit, you can't kill anything with it unless you're just outside of stabbing range.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No lag on 360, just hella fun. Any issues with the game will actually get fixed too since this developer actually listens to the community unlike the last one. Haven't play single player(prolly won't) but I love the new way to get attachments for weapons. You buy them with points you earn instead of having to do gay shit that made people just boost instead of actually play like in MW2.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's equally gay, if not more gay because you get way less stuff than in previous games, also if you buy something and it ends up shit you can't get it back.

It's more grindy, and the pro perks are stupid because they make you play shitty alternate gamemodes nobody likes.

18. Trickster

I prefer the online to MW2, and I enjoy it (purely due to the Olympia), but the single player crashing on me twice and forcing me to do the same mission over and over and over again is beyond fucking acceptable.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Its Treyarch after all.. what exactly did you expect?
    lol @ promo ad win over common sense

Edit: What a horrible typo, fuck me

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My thoughts exactly...don't think they've done a single game I really like...