Apple announces a new Ultrabook... sort of

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Jun 18, 2014.

?

If you were given $1099 and had to pick one of these choices, which would you take?

1. I would buy the 11" MacBook Air with 256 GB SSD.

17.6%
  2. I would buy the computer Apple announced today.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would buy 2 [URL="http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18583"]Steam Bauxes[/URL].

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would build a PC.

58.8%
  5. I would give the money to Spartacus.

23.5%
  1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yes, call the trackpad I use dogshit because it's not your trackpad. Yup, totally.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i, dont, get, it - we have a series t lenovo and its touchpad is more then sufficient - its responsive and you can move the mouse as well as scroll and zoom, i dont expect it to make me coffee (though ofc id be a true selling point if apple supports that)
    touchpads are shite compaired to mice - theres no arguing about that - but thats it, i fail to see the big difference to the touchpad of a friends macbook.

btw i also have a wacom tablet with touch functionality. apart of that the surface is a bit unusual for a touchpad (it feels like coated(?) paper but its supposed to be used with a pen anyway) it works perfectly fine, i really cant tell where the big difference would be.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

its called being a fanboy. Everything else is shit except what they have now.

Destroyer your entire laptop is shit because its not my laptop.
    Take that!

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

So why do you support apple if you like to work with decent monitors. Apple switched to shitty panels a long time ago (10 years ago i guess). Their monitors produce a shiny picture that makes everything look like its sold in a candy shop. If you want quality monitors buy a NEC, hell even standard samsung monitors produce better colours and are easier to colour correct. I work in a advertisment agency and have to color correct on a daily basis. Apple monitors are made for the typical clueless consumer, the same kind of person that thinks a car is cooler because it has some shiny rims and a rear spoiler. Theirs a reason why they bought the beats headphone company. They both have the same selling strategy. Also, why do you think apple periphals are superior? The pc market is flooded with periphals their are literaly thousend of competing companies out their, every half decent gaming mouse blows apple mice out of the water. Real professional graphic monitors are a completly different league than apple monitors and you cant even compare a good mechanical keyboard to those island style abominations apple sells.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I had a T410s Thinkpad and while the keyboard was awesome, I hated the touchpad. It had that texture on it that made your finger hurt if you used it for more than 5 minutes.

Now I have a Samsung Series 9 laptop and that has a smooth surface touchpad, but Samsung managed to write a driver that limits the pointer movement to a crawl, where I needed one finger movement to reach a target on the Thinkpad, now I need two, it gets annoying quickly.

I have tried many different touchpads and compared to a mouse I would say MacBooks are at 90% of comfort and precision of a mouse and the best Windows touchpads are at 50%.

TL;DR I am selling a Samsung Series 9 laptop with Full HD display, any takers?

6. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Again, why is this even a debate?

The only thing Apple has over Windows PCs are things that can easily be replaced at a significantly lower cost or are completely useless in the first place.

Use a fucking mouse you fucking cavemen.

7. flasche

good luck using a mouse on a train ;)

8. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I have done several times and will continue to do so.

9. flasche

do you put it on the lap of your neighbor? do they like it? maybe i should try?

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I used one as well. I had a working touchpad, but bouncing made using it impossible since everything was interpreted as a click instead. It worked out fine.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Not only on trains, but also when sitting on a couch, lying in bed, in a coffee shop with their tiny tables, those are all use cases where you can't use a mouse. A good touchpad makes a laptop much more versatile.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I use my mouse in almost all those cases cause I have thighs. Except coffee shops I Dont go to coffee shops

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I've reached my tolerance for personal insults.

If there's one clear conclusions, it's that the subjective fluffy shit matters.

It's because of that subjective fluffy shit that so many people in this thread get emotional and start verbally assaulting others. Religious arguments do that, political arguments do that, anything subjective will do that.

You can get used to shitty peripherals, so of course you'd say it's sufficient. I'm using a mediocre TN panel right now, but I don't mind one bit.

Don't put words in my mouth with your fucking strawmans. My post did not imply what you just said it implied. I'm personally insulted by this shit.

They probably aren't better than pro stuff.

But they are close enough for a non-pro user and that's definitely better than the horrible

Apple peripherals are not superior to all aftermarket desktop peripherals.

But again, they are in the same ballpark and that means that they are a metric fuckton better than the dogshit that comes in most non-luxury laptops.

I used a Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX in uni with my laptop and I fucking loved it. It satisfied every single need that a mobile mouse should satisfy. It was basically perfect.

But I couldn't always use it. If I'm talking to a user of a truly mobile laptop, then I don't need to justify why I can't achieve 100% external mouse usage.

For those times, I need a trackpad (can't use a trackpoint well :() and I need a good one.

This scares the shit out of me. I'm so glad I'm not in the market for a laptop because there are about a million Windows laptops that I would want a million times more than a MBA or MBP, but I'm frightened that the peripherals would render it nigh unusable.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That is an apples and oranges argument though. Touchpads are a motion thing, monitors are a visual thing, headphones are an auditory thing. These are not equal things.

Not disagreeing about getting used to things, but saying it all matters equally is a bit off.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Right after you quoted me. Your intent in this case is of no importance, the implication is clear as dayto everyone. I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm quoting the ones you said, and replying on the implied meaning behind it. Even if you now go on to deny this, I wono't be convinced by that change of heart.

If you don't want misunderstanding, watch what you write, because I was insulted in the first place, not you.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Also using a mouse on a couch
    Also using a mouse while lying in bed
    Coffee shops are for sexually uncertain.
    Now i dont disagree with the post, but what you wrote here is fucking hipocritical .

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Still the apple monitors cost one third more than a nec or eizo monitor which have colors closer to reality and are made to work great with color correction tools and software.

You are making the mistake of comparing apple computers to 700 euro supermarkt trash. Apple products are made for people that dont want to think about computers and thats fine, thats the target group. The problem is that alot of people belive the advertisment and think that apple products are better or in the same category as high end products. Ten to 15 years ago they made really good stuff but nowadays its all about sellling as much units as possible.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Spartacus: Subjective shit matters
    Other people: Subjective shit is subjective
    Spartacus: Subjective shit can have objective shit
    Other people: <insert subjective experience here>
    Spartacus: <insert other subjective experience here>
    { Repeat previous two lines infinitly }

In my view, that sums up this thread in a nutshell. Personally, fuck their company practices and fuck their OS, but their IO devices are better than most others in a lower price range.

Still, albeit it that being true, I feel that it's important to realize that people are still, to some degree, paying simply for the brand. Two computers equal in every way, one being a Mac and one not being a Mac, the Mac will cost more simply because of the brand. Macs more expensive than other computers and has a somewhat higher quality interface, but I don't think that the gain in quality 100% covers the associated increase in price.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Well people that like a brand are basicaly in love with it, it triggers the same brain regions than being deeply in love. So its only logical that his arguments are subjective. The whole marketing campaing of apple is made around that and making people believe that their products are superior. BMW buying rolls royce is a good example of how good that strategy can work. The bmw engineers were sweept of their feet because they found out that rolls royce used techniques and parts straight from the 80ties even 70ties. The whole car was a mess and everything needed improvement. That means even a big international company can be lured into believing it.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Well people that like a brand are basicaly in love with it, it triggers the same brain regions. So its only logical that his arguments are subjective. The whole marketing campaing of apple is made around that and making people believe that their products are superior. BMW buying rolls royce is a good example of how good that strategy can work. The bmw engineers were sweept of their feet because they found out that rolls royce used techniques and parts straight from the 80ties even 70ties. The whole car was a mess and everything needed improvement. That means even a big international company can be lured into believing it.