Apple announces a new Ultrabook... sort of

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Jun 18, 2014.

?

If you were given $1099 and had to pick one of these choices, which would you take?

1. I would buy the 11" MacBook Air with 256 GB SSD.

17.6%
  2. I would buy the computer Apple announced today.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would buy 2 [URL="http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18583"]Steam Bauxes[/URL].

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would build a PC.

58.8%
  5. I would give the money to Spartacus.

23.5%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

That's what i don't get about gaming laptops. If you want perfomance you get the most out of a desktop. If you want mobility you get the most out of an Apple laptop, so I don't see the point in those 5kg gaming monsters.

She wanted a superior Apple product for weeks and you guys tried to talk her out of that and into getting a terrible MSI or ASUS machine, that is what I read here. For 1250€ she could get a 13" MacBookPro that is just so much better in terms of input and output devices than anything Windows OEMs can offer.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

rather talk her into buying a non apple desktop pc. its just not worth it, why buy anything for 1000€ and more, if you can have something for half the price perfectly capable of fulfilling your demands? if you only use your computer for office applications and browsing, why would you need to carry it around? you cant use it in the car anyway and you usually have a computer at work. you probably also have a smartphone which is sufficient for most things you could need on your way.
    and sorry, the size-requirement argument, because its told so often, also is bullshit, a minitower, flatscreen, and keyboard use up the same space as you would use for the notebook workspace you inevitable end up with anyway. additionally working on a bigger monitor is way healthier for you anyway.

but well. as someone said before, it often is not about what you need, its about what it represents.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

What I read here is yo trying to shuv an old lady a 1.25k euro machine for no reason. Why would she need a quadcore i5 and 8 gigs of ram to do simple shit.

Your fanboyism is fucking staggering. Asus notebooks are perfectly fine for browsing and doing what ever she wants. It wont ever lag or do anything unwanted. Why would you want to pay 500 euros more for basicly a different user interface. Cause thats what you pay for brand and user interface which isnt even better.

How can any fucking apple connaisseur that is also tech savy deny the fact that your machines are overpriced as fuck. I'll admit they are amazing products but not for their prices. If a macbook pro 15 inch was 1k-1.5k I'd gladly buy one but not for 2k. 500 euros is a lot of money to pay for brandname and a different ios.

If you cant see that well then get fucked in the ass by apple.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Also, enjoy not having any software support. Mac's always get the short end of the stick when it comes to soft, games or otherwise.

5. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

If someone uses a laptop in one place and only one place then a laptop probably isn't a good choice. But if someone uses a laptop in two or more places (like home and school), even if it is used in one place infrequently, then it could be worth it.

FYI, the 13" MBPs (the ones he mentioned) are dual-core i5 and some of them have 4 GB RAM.

Oh, and when I said this:

It was somewhat misleading since the 4570R iMac has no discrete GPU while the higher iMacs have discrete GPUs, costing probably more money in total.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well yes school/university is something i didnt think about.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

9/10 McGyver, you've caught them all hook, line and sinker. Subtle, inconspicuous and absolutely infuriating. You lose one point for still being obvious enough to get caught though. Still, better than most.

Warning: Incoming Wall of Text, there's a summary at the end you can skip to if you choose.

Anyway, let me tell you all about Macs and Apple and the real reason they're so bad. I work in my campuses IT department; specifically, the place where the install the OS, software, do configuration, all that stuff that lets people be productive with computers. We also handle the backups and virus scanning. Every single computer that gets used on campus comes through this tiny office of ~2-4 people at any given moment, both new machines and ones that need a reformat+reinstall. The vast majority of what passes through here runs some version of Windows, we get about 10 Macs in a month. AIO, Macbooks, Airs, even once had a garbagecan/thermos/MacPro pass through here.

Now, these Macs, they're wonderful things on their own. Little self-contained machines, like a walled-off garden, hidden away from the rest of the world. Working within that scope, they're fantastic. But what happens when you try to knock down a bit of that wall and let it interact with the rest of the world?

They break. And Mac's, they break bad. They break less often the Windows machines because they're designed to not be broken, which is fantastic. Problem is that they're also designed with the idea that they don't break. When a machine with Windows has an issue, a field tech here goes out, fixes it up, but if it's serious, they bring it back here for a reformat+reinstall. Macs, 95% of the time we can't fix and have to reformat+reinstall. Mac OS is to Windows as C++ is to C: it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with C, and it's harder to do it in C++, but C++ will blow your whole leg off. And I ain't even started yet.

So sometimes, people buy Macs because they have an actual use for them. Oftentimes though, they buy Macs because they want a Mac, but really they'd be better off with Windows. Oh, but it gets better. They want a Mac, but they want to run Windows software. Generally, this means Bootcamp. Now Bootcamp isn't so bad, really it's just a special name for having multiple OS's on the same computer. But Apple's shit don't play nice with other people's shit. Especially when other people's shit involves a different OS. Networking booting, USB booting, all sorts of booting gets fucked with Macs and Bootcamp. Double-especially when it comes to a relatively recent OS. Say Windows 8. We got this Mac in here that's taken the better part of the past two weeks to work nicely with Windows 8, and it's vomiting everywhere. Makes me miss installing Windows from a CD; shit'd be buggy after the install, but at least the initial install would be nice and simple.

Sometimes, even better, we get people who want Macs and running only Windows. Turns out Apple hates it when you try to use non-Mac stuff with Macs, but they hate it even more if you try to use a Mac without Mac. Can we do it? Yes. Have we done it? Yes. Should we do it? Mother Mary's virgin tits no. Shit's buggier than a god damn ant farm. These people are literally buying a Mac when every single indicator says that they'd be better with a Windows machines.

And why is it this way? Because Apple's products are tightly integrated to themselves. Everything is built around a few basic assumptions. That people will mostly be using OS X, that people aren't power users that might try to do special things with it and the only software they'll need is either going to be Apple software or software authorized by Apple. It has all the usability of god damn Ubuntu but with less software and less flexibility. Don't even get me started on when we have to do anything involving Mac's and Active directory, or when we Bootcamped Windows 7 when the Haswell based Macs came out; that one was a weeks worth of driver hell. Which is another problem, sometimes Apple doesn't properly support their own shit (We had to dig the driver's outta' Intel's stuff) and then life becomes a bitch until Apple gets proper support for their own stuff.

Now, there are some good things about Macs that I can't deny. Time Machine backups, god fuckin' damn they're nice. Everything gets backedup. We got a new Mac in here with a Time Machine backup on an external drive, restored the backup to the Mac and it put everything back on it, from 10.8 to the system configuration settings to all the loose files. Ran updates, brought it up to 10.9 and it was good to go. That's the best thing about Apple locking down everything, as long as you stay within their garden, everything is fairies and pixie dust because they can guarantee things about the hardware and the software. OS upgrades are smooth as a babe's ass. Windows can't do that because it can't guarantee anything about the hardware; it'd have to have almost every single driver imaginable pre-installed to be able to pull off something like that. But part of that is because Microsoft likes to keep Windows backwards compatible to a few generations, generally speaking. Legacy code causes bloat, but it makes using old software with new software so much easier. Try to do that with a Mac and it says "Fuck off". If you develop software for Macs and you run a bit behind or Apple deprecates something you use, too fuckin' bad, you're fucked if you can't switch to whatever they're using.

So if I had to pick a single general problem with Macs and Apple, it's the pain of compatibility with anything external to Apple. And if I had to pick a single general benefit with Macs and Apple, it's the ease-of-use within their walled garden. And that's why I hate Macs, because it's rare for a computer to stay within it's own little walls.

TL;DR: Macs suck because when the fuck up, they fuck up hard, and the love to fuck up when they have to interact with anything that isn't Apples, but they're great as long as you only use them with Apple's shit.

8. Paradox

a 13 inch laptop with a shitty dual core 4th gen cpu without a graphics card that costs 1.3k almost G FUCKING G SHIT LAPTOP FOR FILTHY CASUALS WHO HAVE WAY TOO MUCH MONEY AND DONT KNOW SHIT

edit: and FOUR gigs of ram. Is this fucking 2001?

9. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Why is this even a discussion?

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

McGyver blew it on his last post with not providing any cold hard facts to back up his argument.

As matematician said, she's actually moving with that laptop quite a lot. She takes it everywhere she goes, pretty much - work, home, her mother's home, any work outings, holidays. Mobility is key for her.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

There are few "cold hard facts" to describe input and output devices. You have to experience them for yourself.

Worthless anecdote: I got a chance to use a Dell laptop with a modern 45W CPU and everything that you'd expect it to come with. It was fucking dog shit. The keyboard was mushy at best and the track pad wad career functional.

I have access to an old ThinkPad with a fucking low end 35W penryn and no ssd. If it's battery wasn't shot, I'd prefer it because it's keyboard is just so much better.

The fact is that there are many things that affect the user experience. Some are relatively easy to objectively measure. Some are impossible. And some are in between.

If you're just looking at numbers, you only get half of the picture. One of the things that you miss are the boring input and output devices. Unfortunately, you have to use devices to get acclimated to their input and output devices. Not for an hour in a best buy, but for a year in the field. It's not easy.

12. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Who the fuck uses a trackpad?

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Someone who actually moves around with their laptop, because, you know, it's mobile.

Or at least it should be mobile. That means light, compact and tough.

Judging by the folks around here, that's not a sound assumption.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

So, you are trying to justify the price now by saying it has good peripherals?
    Im sorry?

15. Paradox

Dude, but apple has AMAAAZING PERIPHERALS I DONT MIND PAYING 500 DOLLAH HOLLAH EXTRA FOR AMAAAAZING PERIPHERALS. ( joke, fucking apple trackpad is shit, keyboard is just another keyboard not bad not amazing.

16. McGyver

Candles, I will have my assistant read that and summarize it.

Just want to state that most of your complaints come from Windows not working smoothly on Macs and that isn't really a valid argument against them, OF COURSE you should use a Mac with OS X and only OS X, it's like complaining about Linux running like shit on almost any Windows laptop.

But really, why is there even an argument? Windows laptops don't even manage to get the trackpad right or the battery life or high dpi displays, they are no match when it comes to user experience. The whole industry is trying to copy Apple's success model because they are the ones making the money, while Windows OEM like Sony and Samsung drop out of the market altogether.

IF someone is willing to spend serious money on a laptop and that person isn't a gamer kiddy then a MacBook is always among the best options.

17. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Are you including their desktop Magic Trackpad in your statement?

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

See, it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't compatible period. Then someone could get a Mac and we'd be able to say, "Fuck no, it doesn't work with our systems." But instead we get this "just compatible enough" kinda' shit that means we don't have an excuse to not support it. Apple is giving support, but they half-ass it. We don't install OS X on Windows machines because we can say, "Fuck no, shit doesn't work."

And I've actually never had a problem with Linux on laptops.

19. Paradox

Windows laptops don't even manage to get the trackpad right or the battery life or high dpi displays

Windows laptops don't even manage to get the trackpad right or the battery life or high dpi displays

GENERALIZING ALL LAPTOPS TO WINDOWS LAPTOPS COUNTING IN ALL THE SHIT LAPTOPS TOO BECAUSE HEY IM AN APPLE FANBOY AND IMA GENERALIZE ALL FUCKING LAPTOPS UNDER WINDOWS LAPTOPS AND IF ONE WINDOW LAPTOP IS SHIT ALL THE REST ARE TOO.

Fucking apple fanboys. Go fucking die in a fire

20. McGyver

Yeah, it's time to put you on my ignore list. Society should show no tolerance for sociopathic asians or they start going around shooting people.