Apple announces a new Ultrabook... sort of

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Jun 18, 2014.

?

If you were given $1099 and had to pick one of these choices, which would you take?

1. I would buy the 11" MacBook Air with 256 GB SSD.

17.6%
  2. I would buy the computer Apple announced today.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would buy 2 [URL="http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18583"]Steam Bauxes[/URL].

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would build a PC.

58.8%
  5. I would give the money to Spartacus.

23.5%
  1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You can't just dismiss facts as being "trolling" if you don't agree with them.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well, its spartacus, he went on /g/ once and for the last 6 months he pretends to be an electronics expert.
    Can't argue with those internet credentials man.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Read my post you faggot bitch.
    A 15 inch starts at 2000 euros.

4. Z100000M

I though we were talking about computers, not 18th century american "adopt a friend fairs".

And how was i supposed to know you were talking about it in particular? I dont hang out with the iPster crowd, i dont know those details.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I like a lot of the CLEVO stuff or XOTIC PC notebook options.

Demographic wise, Apple can do whatever the fuck they want. But we do have to realize they went bankrupt and Bill Gates was a bro and bailed them out.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Grant, I'm reasonably sure that you're still trolling, but on the off chance that you aren't, I need to point out that hateful insults and a strawman are not facts.

You can repeat the performance strawman all day, but the fact of the matter is that AIOs sell because people like them. Dell sells AIOs. HP sells AIOs. They are all over the place. It's pathetic to expect them to compete in raw performance benchmarks with dedicated desktops. Being making such expectations, you completely miss the point of an AIO.

If you want to get pissed, be pissed that this machine doesn't even come with an SSD. I find that infuriating and yet no one here seems to care. It's frustrating to try to discuss this stuff with people that don't even understand the actual bottlenecks in the computing experience. I don't mean to personally insult Grant in particular as there are numerous people fluffing up like a peacock because this machine doesn't try to be a gaming machine.

7. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

It could have a hybrid drive. From my knowledge, I believe those are better than normal hard drives.

Edit: fuck I didn't read the first post closely enough. disregard.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The real bottleneck is the speed of light.

9. Z100000M

For that price tag you can put a monster for any task, "muh rendering" included.
    Or get one that will perform all the same with the usual run of the mill tasks those "people" you say will do most of the time, for half the expenses.

10. Z100000M

You sure that is not resistance, conductivity or any of the other engineering problems? Seems like you're looking too much into the future here.
    Besides, if I were to bet my money, I wouldnt try to repeat the mistake of that one patent guy from USA (or so I believe) and say that scientists will get over that one way or another. Maybe not in this millenium either, but hey.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

People buy Apple products because it's trendy, not because they want to do gaming or rendering or whatever. They want to go to their business meeting or lecture and take that fucker out and show off how well they follow the times with that Apple logo thing.

Many people that get Macbooks just want that from their laptops. If they can do shit on top of giving them some cred among their communities, it's an added bonus. My aunt wanted a Macbook because everyone else around her had one but me and dad (mostly him) persuaed her that it's not worth the investment. She's rocking a 5+ year old Acer that does literally anything she needs, and it was definitely much cheaper. My other aunt is in the process of selecting a notebook and me and dad (mostly me this time) explained why getting an MSi or ASUS laptop for a similar price (1,25k EUR~) that will do what she needs, operate Microsoft Office on its mother OS, and do any and all gaming she might dabble in with us. But she really wanted that Apple logo, we were stuck at that point for weeks.

tl;dr its not about the performance its about the apple

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

There is not a single strawman in my post. ultrabooks of equal performance cost only a fraction of this ridiculous shit, if you actually defend a 1.1k price tag for an over-glorified internet browsing machine then you have some serious problems.

I'm pretty sure you're the one trolling if you think that just because it's not a gaming machine doesn't mean it shouldn't cost as much as a gaming machine. If you want your internet browsing machine to be compared with internet browsing machines and not gaming machines, then it should've had a pricetag like an internet browsing machine.

And yes, I did notice that it didn't have an SSD, that's what my post is for, that everything is wrong with that machine, I just didn't point it out because it's already obvious how shit that ultrabook is.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

macbook air has a mad good battery

also mac has good production tools that are used in the industry

14. Z100000M

It comes with a power drill?
    Damn son, where did they fit that?

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

tools is a large category encompasing many things

production tools, power tools, fuck tools

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I work with apple computers on a daily basis, they break down, crash and do weird shit as often as any other pc.

I personaly would never buy a apple laptop because they are overpriced and even the top of the line ones cant run picture editing software smoothly. Good look trying to color correct a 300dpi placard on a apple laptop

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Fixed. And stop talking your relatives into ugly gaming laptops if all they want is a quality machine for working on office.

18. Z100000M

There is also people tools as well. I guess you can say a mac does come with at least one tool after all.

Also, i was aware of that, was poking fun at you for using the word "industry", which is really a broad one.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

another reason not to get apple as you could lower the price even further by purchasing a generic non-gaming notebook, performance really isnt the issue for office applications.
    i dont get the whole hype about notebooks, theres this portability argument but the vast majority of people in my surroundings have their notebooks in a special place all the time. why would you pay extra for miniaturized components with worse specs and shorter lifespan due to heat dissipation problems in log term use, if you use them like desktops anyway?

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Please don't fool yourself and above all don't skew my words like this, it's beyond disrespectful. Everyone even slightly interested in the computer business knows that gaming laptops are huge and clunky, something neither aunt wants. Instead, one is sticking with her old one and the other is probably going to get a normal-looking one once she makes her mind up. Nobody is talking about forcing others into doing anything, nobody is persuading anyone to get a gaming laptop.